bush hog 2810

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
It didn't last 100 hours. Yesterday I noticed there was some damage, just some holes. Today, i had to cut part of it off.

I handle my bush hog like I handle my loaded pistol. I don't think I will replace it. What would you guys do?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I worked with a man with no thumb that would probably tell you to replace it. He got a sack caught in the shaft, wrapped his hand and twisted his thumb off.

Me, I'd probably just leave it off.

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
Whats hitting the cover causing the damage?

I think you can get the covers at TSC.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Are your 3pt hitch arms up all the way? Looks like they are hitting the PTO shaft. If they are up all the way, move the pin in the vertical lift rod where it attaches to the bottom arm so that the bottom arm goes higher and clears the PTO shaft in tight turns. Some tractors you have to run it with the 3pt hitch arms down all the way when running PTO equipment to prevent damage.

Last edited:

spacemanspiff

Equipment
M5-111
Dec 4, 2015
Lower ,AL
Are your 3pt hitch arms up all the way? Looks like they are hitting the PTO shaft. If they are up all the way, move the pin in the vertical lift rod where it attaches to the bottom arm so that the bottom arm goes higher and clears the PTO shaft in tight turns. Some tractors you have to run it with the 3pt hitch arms down all the way when running PTO equipment to prevent damage.
At 4am I remembered that I didn't put the stabilizer pin in for the lift arm not in the pic.
It was more than likely the culprit. With the arms fully up, the tongue will hit the tire before the shaft hits the lift arms. That is, if I lock the lift arms in place.

I will probably do like Bulldog said and leave it off. It must have not spun very freely to have ripped it self apart. I don't hook it up with the tractor running and I don't go near a spinning PTO. So, a shaft cover does me no good. My daughters will sometimes drive it, but they have been taught to stay buckled up and not leave the cab unless it's on fire.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I knew a farmer that ran a piece of equip w/o the shields. Got his pants caught and he got wrapped around the shaft. His leg was torn off below the knee only after he had been thoroughly "mixed" in manure by his farm tractor.

He didn't live long in the hospital.

True story...and I knew him personally. Replace it!