Build ROPS (need advice)

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
The 148 price is only a $30.00 reduction. I just ordered mine for my 7100, when the salesman gave me the initial number of 178, I showed him the email from Kubota and he reduced the cost and the shipping.

Without that you are talking 178 for the ROPS and 90 for shipping. I would either pay the man, or go without.
Nice!
How long did it take to hear back from KOA?
I'll get in touch with my dealer!
KC

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Ordered the Rops from the dealer.
$250 is a good price...
Since mine is a Orange tinted grey tractor, it looks like a few of the OEM rototiller hangers will need to be removed.
I will post a photo of what had to be removed as soon as I get the ROPS on.
KC

asbug

Equipment
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Ordered, delivered, installed - Photos to come.
Instructions for install were written by a drunk engineer.
KC

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
...Instructions for install were written by a drunk engineer...
KC
No offence. But maybe it's like a IKEA puzzle: Switch off your brain, follow the steps without trying to "improve", and finally the instructions work.

:)

Carl

In the old day's I built up the IKEA stuff with the brain switched on, that doesn't work when you are a DIY-guy!! :p

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Considering the low price and the availability of a ROPS from Kubota I would say that was the best route to take, However if one was not available or if the price was prohibitive and you are a proficient welder then I see no problem with fabricating your own as even limited roll over protection is better than none at all, Personally I am not inclined to put my tractor into any situation where I would feel safer with than without a ROPS, In other words just because I have a ROPS does not mean I am more inclined to do something that would risk rolling my tractor over on its side.

The ROPS is designed to protect the driver in a side roll over not front to back roll over and is designed to be used in conjunction with a seat belt.

My tractor has a warning sticker stating that the seat belt should be used at all times on a tractor equipped with a ROPS and a seat belt should not be used when the tractor is not equipped with a ROPS or in situations wher the ROPS is not being used(Folded down). In other words if you have a ROPS you should be strapped in to keep you within the protective parameters of the ROPS however if you have no ROPS then you do not want to be strapped into the seat as you want to be able to eject yourself from the tractor befor it rolls over on you.

So if you are installing a ROPS do you have or are you also installing a seat belt?

Does the ROPS kit from Kubota also include a seat belt kit?
I just checked and a seat belt does come with the ROPS kit from Kubota

Last edited:

asbug

Equipment
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Rops comes with a seat belt, I did install both.
And as an engineer, I feel qualified to say that the instructions have several points that are missleading or are poorly translated.
KC

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I got my rops Tuesday and installed that night in about an hour. There are definitely some missing details that would have saved some time.

patjsimpson

Equipment
B7100, tiling, mowing
Jul 13, 2015
mead, wa
So trying to get a ROPS from the local dealer and he asked for the serial number and I gave it to him. He said I have a gray market and it does not apply for the program. I asked if I could buy it outright and he said no it is illegal for him to sell me the parts. just a bunch of BS.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So trying to get a ROPS from the local dealer and he asked for the serial number and I gave it to him. He said I have a gray market and it does not apply for the program. I asked if I could buy it outright and he said no it is illegal for him to sell me the parts. just a bunch of BS.
Welcome to the fun of owning a grey market unit. ;)

What model do you have b7001, b7000? as a B7100 is not a grey.

Did you think it was a b7100 when you bought it?

What is the serial #, I've seen/heard of a few dealers that just see a # and assume it's not right, there is an actual data base of the non grey #'s, and I would be happy to look for you just to make sure. :)
Also go read this 5 part article on why it's the way it is. http://www.orangetractortalks.com/2009/02/zen-noh-and-kubota-part-1-a-partnership

Last edited:

patjsimpson

Equipment
B7100, tiling, mowing
Jul 13, 2015
mead, wa
Mine says B7100 on all the stickers. As far as I knew it was a B7100. The serial number is b7001-63655. Thanks for the link I will go check it out.

Pat

PS It was Adams Tractor in Spokane that told me this was a gray market.

Just finished reading those articles... Very interesting. What a lost opportunity to sell parts to people who had no idea that they were buying gray market. This will definitely affect my decision when I go buy a new tractor. Punishing the consumer for what someone else did is not the way to resolve it.

I am pretty sure they are full of it as I just got off the phone with my buddy and he said his grandpa got it in the early 80's He definitely remembers visiting him in like 85 and and he had it. So from the articles above the gray market imports happened in the early 90's so I don't see how it could be gray market.

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
The real early year B7100s had the serial number that started with B7001. I have 2 such tractors. Your dealer should know this. Perhaps talk to a different dealer.

patjsimpson

Equipment
B7100, tiling, mowing
Jul 13, 2015
mead, wa
I may need to do that... however I heard that all three dealerships in the area are owned by the same family. I talked to them again and they said they would check with kubota again on Monday. Hoping wolfman is able to find out with the serial number I provided above.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
I have an L225 without ROPS. I can pick up some Chromoly tubing on the cheap, so I'm going to build my own. Anyone have suggestions/pics of where/how to install? Where do the factory units bolt on?
Gotta ask. What size/shape/specs on the chromoly? I'd trust my own ROPS out of chromoly over the factory unit any day as long as it was sufficient size and shape.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I may need to do that... however I heard that all three dealerships in the area are owned by the same family. I talked to them again and they said they would check with kubota again on Monday. Hoping wolfman is able to find out with the serial number I provided above.
Probably not the "owner" that affects this.. but the knowledge of the parts guy behind the counter. Owner would possibly be pissed if the knew his parts guy just botched a sell and increased his legal liability by stating a ROP was not available for a tractor; when it actually is.

The whole discounted ROP pricing was put in place to lower Kubota Corp. liability issue with the older tractors that were sold without ROPS

patjsimpson

Equipment
B7100, tiling, mowing
Jul 13, 2015
mead, wa
I talked to them yesterday and they said they would call Kubota again. I really think they saw B7001 on the serial number and thought "Gray Market" rather than submitting it to confirm with Kubota. I also contacted Kubota directly and hopefully will hear back from them confirming it is not gray market so that I can take it in if they try to say it is gray market still.

torinfleming

Equipment
Kubota B6000 c/w Front End Loader & Rotovator
Mar 11, 2016
Ravensdale, Co Louth, Ireland
Kubota's pricing on this ROPS is about $150. Buy a tested factory one.
http://www.kubota.com/f/safety/rops.pdf
Hi, I have contacted Kubota in Ireland and they are not aware of the ROPS programme here in the UK or Ireland. Can anyone advise about it please as it appears because its a grey market B6000 that I am trying to source the ROPS that they wont entertain me. I would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Hi, I have contacted Kubota in Ireland and they are not aware of the ROPS programme here in the UK or Ireland.
As far as I know the ROPs program only applies to non-grey market tractors in the over-regulated, lawsuit happy United States.