Build ROPS (need advice)

Oklahoma

Equipment
L225, 48bush, 72finish,
Mar 6, 2011
Rome, Georgia
I have an L225 without ROPS. I can pick up some Chromoly tubing on the cheap, so I'm going to build my own. Anyone have suggestions/pics of where/how to install? Where do the factory units bolt on?

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
I have an L225 without ROPS. I can pick up some Chromoly tubing on the cheap, so I'm going to build my own. Anyone have suggestions/pics of where/how to install? Where do the factory units bolt on?
Brave man,willing to risk your life on an untested fabrication.
Dave

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Brave man,willing to risk your life on an untested fabrication.
Dave
This I have to support. Even the ROPS on other traktors looks like steel, you have no clue about the type. So it is hard to estimate the dimensions.
The ROPS you can buy are tested and will stand some roll-overs. So if you plan to build something like that by your self, you should test it. Do you want to roll your Kubota down the hill (not on the tires!)?
BUT on the other hand if you have knowlege about steelwork you can calculate the structure (static and dynamic). And I believe those ROPS would be better than no ROPS. Most of the guy's who tune their car for racing or even build one, they weld the safty-cage by them self. So, how much do you trust yourself??

carl

ps
I do not have ROPS, because I don't like this idea of "savety-feeling". Example: When I lived in Malaysia for 1 1/2 year I had a 4X4-car and was many times in the jungle. I lifted the car, changed the tires and such stuff. BUT I didn't ad a snorkle. Because if I would have, I guess I would have tried some river-crossings and I belief I would have lost the car and maybe life. So protecting me to higher the risk, I reduced the "savety-feeling".
My land is flat, I don't race the traktor, I just avoid situations to need ROPS. I take my time to get the job done save. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

the mean fish

Sep 27, 2010
Spring Texas
The ROPS on my old F2100 is just bent 2" square 3/16" wall mild tube, with some 3/16" wall DOM you could easily build something stronger than stock. Do you have access to a welder and know how to use it? What about a bender with dies?

Kytim

Equipment
B6000DT, B7100DT,Snowplow, RM360, Scoop, Cultivator, Carryall,Disk, plow
Aug 14, 2009
Western Ky
My advice, "DONT do it!!" Buy the right one.

kytim

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
My initial reaction is buy a certified ROPS.

If you know what you are doing then weld it away.
Just remember that you are betting your life on it.

5thhorseman

Equipment
B7000, Allied 95 FEL, Sovema Tiller, Blade, on 3 overgrown acres
Oct 21, 2010
Aldergrove, BC
I have a grey market B7000. If I buy a ROPS for a B7100, will it fit my tractor and can I install it myself? I understand from someone on this forum that the running gear on the B7000 and B7100 are the same.

Oklahoma

Equipment
L225, 48bush, 72finish,
Mar 6, 2011
Rome, Georgia
Wow, this is not what I expected from a farm/tractor forum. First off, yes I know how to properly tig/mig/stick weld. I work for a very large Japanese manufacturing company, as a "Multi-craft Maint Tech" I've welded on anything from tig'd 1/8in brackets, to 5k lbs Robotic Equipment. My father-in-law has welded many raceframes. This is not something I'd throw together in my backyard. The whole point of having ROPS is for safety. Working in an industrial environment has me in a constant mental state of working safe, even @ home. That being said, $150 for a factory set would probably be the best way to go. I'd be hard pressed to build one for that, when you factor in labor cost.

Where I live (Northwest Georgia) you'd be crazy to not have a ROPS on your tractor.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Wow, this is not what I expected from a farm/tractor forum. First off, yes I know how to properly tig/mig/stick weld. I work for a very large Japanese manufacturing company, as a "Multi-craft Maint Tech" I've welded on anything from tig'd 1/8in brackets, to 5k lbs Robotic Equipment. My father-in-law has welded many raceframes. This is not something I'd throw together in my backyard. The whole point of having ROPS is for safety. Working in an industrial environment has me in a constant mental state of working safe, even @ home. That being said, $150 for a factory set would probably be the best way to go. I'd be hard pressed to build one for that, when you factor in labor cost.

Where I live (Northwest Georgia) you'd be crazy to not have a ROPS on your tractor.
I would be interested in seeing your setup.
I have a B7001 so the Cheap ROPS is out for me.
I'll see if I can fabricate one cheaper than the $500+ US price.
Let me know if you get it.
KC

fbson395

Equipment
L245DT
Feb 6, 2011
Tehachapi Ca.
Just got a set of ROPS for a L245dt from Kubota.I can send you a copy of the installation info. Let me know if you still need them.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Okie,, brudder you might be a good welder and build it mine duty,, but having worked in the legal field for a Govt Agency, unless you’re a PE and can certify it please don’t do it,,,, reason is if (God forbid) something would happen to you ( roll over,, DOA) and the ROPS failed, what ever insurance carrier you might have would in most every case's not be willing to pay out, and you family would have to take them to court,,
The reason I know this is a strip operator was grading a slope at one of his pits, and the dozer went over,, He had built a ROPS for it out of some very heavy duty stuff, and it looked really good. The operator died, and his widow fought for almost a year to get any kind of payment. The reason they wouldn’t pay ,was the builder was not a PE and the ROPS was not certified,,
Do as you will I just wanted you to be forewarned,,,,,
Just MHO you understand
Peace
Skeets

lahoyer

Equipment
B7100 and a bunch of attachments
Nov 12, 2010
Danbury,Wisconsin
asbug, When dealing with a Kubota dealer you DO NOT have a 7001, repeat you DO NOT have a 7001! You have a 7100.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
asbug, When dealing with a Kubota dealer you DO NOT have a 7001, repeat you DO NOT have a 7001! You have a 7100.
Don't they ask for the serial number which would give the game away?
Dave

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
I do not believe that I can get the "special reduced" price since my B7001 has Japaneese all over it... LOL.
KC
The 148 price is only a $30.00 reduction. I just ordered mine for my 7100, when the salesman gave me the initial number of 178, I showed him the email from Kubota and he reduced the cost and the shipping.

Without that you are talking 178 for the ROPS and 90 for shipping. I would either pay the man, or go without.