Bucket wear

flati

Equipment
Kubota B2320
Dec 27, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Noticing some wear on the bottom of the front end loader bucket of my B2320 from moving snow on my concrete driveway. Was wondering since I plan to use this for snow removal over the years if I should invest in a replaceable/removeable bar that mounts to the bucket (not sure what its called or where I could get it)?

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It takes alot to wear out a cutting edge. My dad has an L275 thats 30ish years old and I can recall atlest 2 cutting edges being installed after the factory edge wore out. For your own peace of mind you could put on a metal edge or a plastic one.

This company FallLine sells a plastic blank that you can cut youself to suit your needs. I'd say get one to keep from trashing a concrete driveway.

http://www.fallline.com/index.cfm

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
No answer but poses a question for me also, My tractor is worn alot on the bucket. I also would like to protect it.
I was wondering about welding hardened welding rod along the edge to prevent wear?
I have gravel driveways so nothing to hurt here.
Any ideas how many rods I would need or perhaps how much distance I could get from 1 rod then I can figure it out. I have seen most guys do a zig- zag pattern on the lower edge.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Every winter I get low hour tractor buckets in my shop that I have to cut the front lip off and replace it due to premature wear.

Buckets wear and they wear fast so that's why as soon as my BX showed up last year the very first mod was to add a bolt on cutting edge and a spill guard.
The cutting edge wasn't available for the BX so I simply got a longer one and narrowed it.
It adds strength to the bottom of the bucket plus prevents it from wearing out.
Worth the effort to me :D

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I was wondering about welding hardened welding rod along the edge to prevent wear? Any ideas how many rods I would need or perhaps how much distance I could get from 1 rod then I can figure it out. I have seen most guys do a zig- zag pattern on the lower edge.
From what I recall a rod (for a stick welder) would generally do about a 7" bead. Not sure about your area, but around me the welding shops will only sell it in 10 pound cans.

TSC has some hardfacing rod, but it is in 4 rod blister packs which get expensive that way too.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hobart-hard-surfacing-buildup-stick-electrode-1-8-in-pack-of-4

Last edited:

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Every winter I get low hour tractor buckets in my shop that I have to cut the front lip off and replace it due to premature wear.

Buckets wear and they wear fast so that's why as soon as my BX showed up last year the very first mod was to add a bolt on cutting edge and a spill guard.
The cutting edge wasn't available for the BX so I simply got a longer one and narrowed it.
It adds strength to the bottom of the bucket plus prevents it from wearing out.
Worth the effort to me :D

Wildfire, once again a BETTER than factory mod !!! Very nicely done.

Is that cutting edge for a larger Kubota? I will need to replace the cutting edge on my B7100 this summer. Wondering where I should be looking to find a cutting edge.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I'm getting tired of this Wildfire / 4shorts guy showing up the rest of us! ;)

He HAS to be a normal human being that has made a mistake now and then. But nooooooo, do we ever see a mistake?? Do we ever see a bad weld?? How about a failed project?? :p

It is like watching golf on TV. You never see a bad shot, just everyone hitting it stiff and making long putts. Darn cherry-picking TV directors.Those golfers would be -18 after every round if we believed the coverage.

Come on Wildfire, let us in on something that did not work out perfectly! Jeez, even his shop is sparkling clean!! Unfair, I tell you, unfair.

(Yes, I know this is a complete thread hijack. :eek: )

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Noticing some wear on the bottom of the front end loader bucket of my B2320 from moving snow on my concrete driveway. Was wondering since I plan to use this for snow removal over the years if I should invest in a replaceable/removeable bar that mounts to the bucket (not sure what its called or where I could get it)?
I am like Eric, the wear will happen but slow. Having to pay for this new girl is cause not to want to mess my new machine up!:eek: I have tried not to hurt the ol girl in it's 40 plus hours but damnit it happens ! When I bought the piranha tooth bar for my bucket I was not looking forward to drilling to big a$$ hole into the bucket! BUt I did, just like the 6 holes I drilled in the top part of the bucket to place grab hooks.....all these holes are for bigger and better things for the machine!

I too did not want to grind the new tooth-bar into the asphalt or concrete so I made a sacrificial metal edge. I think you could come up with something either plastic or metal to place over and lock down on the bucket to be replaceable.

We have metal fabricators all over this area, I am sure you do too, call one up in your neck of the woods and see if they will cut you a piece of steel and drill some hole for you, or do it yourself. As I shop teacher by trade, I often ask why more people don't call up their local high school's shop teachers and see if they could do a little welding for them. An Ag teacher at your local school could make something like this for you in little time. Slip him $20 bucks and he'll be glad to do it, well lets just say thats how it is around here. :)

Little Orange

Equipment
Kubota BX25D TLB, hitch frame, FEL forks, 3pt steel ballast and back blade
Dec 8, 2013
Comox Valley, BC Canada
WR Long Inc. makes a perfect very strong wear blade that fits the BX tractor's FEL just great and it only has two 3/4" bolts on the sides. It has been great for keeping the OME bucket straight and strong for digging and snow removal.
And they are not that expensive as they last the life of the tractor. The wear blade adds a little more volume to the FEL as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
LMAO after chatting to Paul a few times I have no doubt there has been one or two OPPPS,, though not to many Im bettin.
Yeah I guess a man that has been doing this stuff as long as he has, is pretty well versed in making his OPPPS come out better than the things I plan,, of course it helps being able to see in your mind how its going to work before you start,, I am among the many that cant do that,,,
And I know there are guys in here that do these kinds of thing just like wildfire does and to him and these others, its like,,,, What? ya mean this ? it aint nothing just something I whipped up in about 20 min in the shop..
With Paul its not look at what I did, but if you would like to do something like this, here is how I approached it,
I just wish I could even begin to approach some of these things,,lol

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Wildfire, once again a BETTER than factory mod !!! Very nicely done.

Is that cutting edge for a larger Kubota? I will need to replace the cutting edge on my B7100 this summer. Wondering where I should be looking to find a cutting edge.
Thanks Dan. I lurched that cutting edge from my Kubota dealer. It came with the nuts and bolts. It worked out great for the BX.
Here is the tag that was on it when I got it.

I'm getting tired of this Wildfire / 4shorts guy showing up the rest of us! ;)

He HAS to be a normal human being that has made a mistake now and then. But nooooooo, do we ever see a mistake?? Do we ever see a bad weld?? How about a failed project?? :p

It is like watching golf on TV. You never see a bad shot, just everyone hitting it stiff and making long putts. Darn cherry-picking TV directors.Those golfers would be -18 after every round if we believed the coverage.

Come on Wildfire, let us in on something that did not work out perfectly! Jeez, even his shop is sparkling clean!! Unfair, I tell you, unfair.

(Yes, I know this is a complete thread hijack. :eek: )
I laughed at your post, I really did. I then noticed where you are located and I had a memory come to mind.

Growing up as a kid in a small northern town up here in Newfoundland I would frequently visit the local drug store where they had the greatest display of magazines on their racks. I would pick up the hot rod magazines and read them from cover to cover and not leave the store. No one would bother me and I would dream of the work the guys in the magazines would be doing thinking to myself that they have to be the best of the best. I also noticed most of them were from California so I always thought and still do think the best fabricators are from your area.

That being said, back in 1999 I took my first trip to Las Vegas to see SEMA. A buddy of mine took the trip with me and he thinks there's nothing I can't do lol.
A day into SEMA he says to me " what do you think". I replied, I now realize just how little I do know since I've arrived here.

Since then I've changed my way of thinking and doing things and I think it's because of SEMA I improved on my work and designs.

To be honest I never fail at a design or mod. Failure is not an option. I may start out with a design in mind but during the build I'll make subtle changes to insure the design works. At the end of each mod I'll ask myself " does it look like a factory build"?
Most of the time I tell myself "yes". I'm happy with it then.
Glad you've enjoyed the stuff I've posted and I think you for your post. :)

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I couldn't stand the bolts sticking up from the (dealer installed) wear bar...

dumping firewood the other day.... pieces getting stuck on the bolts.. [emoji35]

I cut the bolts flush and plug welded them .... one at a time.

ran a few beads across the front as well... overkill... [emoji57]

it will probably out last me.... but if need be, I'll just cut it off and weld a new one on.

ez-pz [emoji41]

Everyone enjoys a smooth dump.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Everyone enjoys a smooth dump. Best thing I've heard all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AAAA YUP!!

I'll have to second that!!!! Older one gets - the more that reaches the top of the list!;)

2458n

Jun 21, 2010
covington ohio
Bobcat the skidsteer dealer had cutting edge replacement in stock that fit my Kubota bucket perfect. My Kubota bucket had two 2inch wide 1/4'' strips running from front cutting bar to back of bucket. These were welded under the bottom of the bucket and needed replaced at the same time. Good for another 35 years.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Here's mine. There was a thick SS bar left over from something at work I was able to use. Pieces of stainless threaded rod are plug welded into the bar and I drilled the factory edge. After bolting the edge onto the bucket, the rod was cut off flush with the nuts. By themselves, nuts don't seem to interfere very much with a smooth dump, although you can see they did snag a teensy bit of the load.

Attachments

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
We do not get much snow here in NC so it would take my life time to wear out my bucket edge but I enjoy following most posts.

I saw a post while back where someone took a stall mat which was thick rubber and I also recall someone using a rubber conveyor to make a edge out of.

My recollection was that cut a strip 8" or so wide and bolted to bucket edge allowign it to stick out 4 or 5 inches. These seemed like a great idea.

Food for thought.

Jay

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I didn't realize polyurethane would be suitable for an edge on a snowplow/FEL but I happened onto a YouTube vid where a guy attached one to his jeep snowplow blade. Wonder how long it would last? In an earlier discussion it was suggested putting a piece of pipe, PVC or metal, on a plow blade. I experimented with my ATV plow, put a piece of 2" PVC, very limited, made the mistake of leaving it a bit long and that broke off instantly so you have to have it flush, but it does keep the plow from digging into the gravel before the freeze.

geckocycles

Equipment
BX22
Dec 19, 2017
Parker, CO
Dealer item for BX22. #75532-59320 Less than $50

Took me over 3.5 hrs to replace. These are not high carbon steel like I would of thought.

geckocycles.com/images/sagauro/bucket3sm.jpg

There are a few pictures in my album

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I couldn't stand the bolts sticking up from the (dealer installed) wear bar...dumping firewood the other day.... pieces getting stuck on the bolts.. [emoji35]

I cut the bolts flush and plug welded them .... one at a time. ran a few beads across the front as well... overkill... [emoji57]

I would have made a complete weld across the front, to keep any moisture getting between the metal and causing it to rust between the two layers of steel. I do like the way that you plug welded it to the bucket.