Bucket TLC

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas
I park my tractor at some acreage about an hour an half from my home. It sits under a lean-to and stays dry for the most part. I went all winter without going out there. It appears that some sideways rain got into the FEL bucket, where I left my chain the last time I used it, which was a newb move. The chain, of course, is almost Kubota orange with rust. The corrosion ate away the protective paint and where the chain was spread out, about two foot in length, has rusted to the steel and its somewhat pitted. Do I need to hit it with a light wire brush to clean it up and then spray with paint of some kind of paint to protect it from further corrosion?
THANKS

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Clean the bucket to suit you and paint it as you suggested. Put the chain in a bucket of diesel fuel to soak until you need it.

Sawdust&Shavings

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870,LA203A,BX6315,BX2767,RCK48-18BX,GCK60-23BX
Apr 25, 2023
Stafford, VA
I park my tractor at some acreage about an hour an half from my home. It sits under a lean-to and stays dry for the most part. I went all winter without going out there. It appears that some sideways rain got into the FEL bucket, where I left my chain the last time I used it, which was a newb move. The chain, of course, is almost Kubota orange with rust. The corrosion ate away the protective paint and where the chain was spread out, about two foot in length, has rusted to the steel and its somewhat pitted. Do I need to hit it with a light wire brush to clean it up and then spray with paint of some kind of paint to protect it from further corrosion?
THANKS
You can drag the chain behind a vehicle in dry soil to remove the rust, sand works best but any dry dirt will work.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Dragging seems like a great idea. At this point it’s just cosmetic. Any pitting or damage is done. I wouldn’t worry about the chains. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about the bucket either. just a lesson learned. Make sure the angle the bucket down if it’s gonna be out in the rain so it won’t pool water.

texican

Equipment
L3000F, FEL
Oct 12, 2023
Northern Arkansas
Dragging seems like a great idea. At this point it’s just cosmetic. Any pitting or damage is done. I wouldn’t worry about the chains. To be honest I wouldn’t worry about the bucket either. just a lesson learned. Make sure the angle the bucket down if it’s gonna be out in the rain so it won’t pool water.
for sure. If I had just put the bucket down...arrrgh. thanks for reply.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
THANKS
Its a bucket. Mine has no paint on it anymore...rust on a number of spots...just get a grinder and buff the pitting rust off with a wire wheel and leave the rest. I would not waste the paint.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Use care if you drag the chain to clean it.
I knew a guy who picked up old rusty chains for cheap and cleaned them by dragging them in the sand dunes, them sold them for profit after a weekend of dragging.
Did it for years with no problems, until one day he snagged a burned out Chevy suburban buried just below the surface.
Stood his Volkswagen sandrail vertical before it tore loose, and he and his wife both got a mild whiplash injury.
One in a billion chance, but something to think about.

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
I’ve tried the diesel works but a mess when you go to use the chains. I just use em and hang them when I’m finished. I don’t really care how they look as much these days but dragging them sounds intriguing. It’s sand as far as you can see and dig in my area so shouldn’t be hard to accomplish if I ever get the urge to clean them up.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
I just hang my chains inside to keep them from rusting. I inherited/found the rusty ones hanging there. I’ve used rusty chains, but I don’t like it, so those are the last ones I use.

IMG_3603.jpeg

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
Use care if you drag the chain to clean it.
I knew a guy who picked up old rusty chains for cheap and cleaned them by dragging them in the sand dunes, them sold them for profit after a weekend of dragging.
Did it for years with no problems, until one day he snagged a burned out Chevy suburban buried just below the surface.
Stood his Volkswagen sandrail vertical before it tore loose, and he and his wife both got a mild whiplash injury.
One in a billion chance, but something to think about.
Wow. Probably ought to remove the trailing hook next time.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I discovered a 5/8” heavy duty 25’ long “bulldozer” chain which was rusty…. I poured sections of it into a 5-gal plastic bucket and poured Ospho (phosphoric acid) over it and sloshed it around….. ….then hung it out to dry over newspaper/cardboard to catch the “drips”. It removed/converted the rust to a “parkerized” finish. Ten years now (stored inside) and it still is in great shape.

Damn thing is HEAVY.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I discovered a 5/8” heavy duty 25’ long “bulldozer” chain which was rusty…. I poured sections of it into a 5-gal plastic bucket and poured Ospho (phosphoric acid) over it and sloshed it around….. ….then hung it out to dry over newspaper/cardboard to catch the “drips”. It removed/converted the rust to a “parkerized” finish. Ten years now (stored inside) and it still is in great shape.

Damn thing is HEAVY.
OSPHO is GREAT stuff for ANY rusty looking steel!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Still trying to figure out what is wrong with a rusty chain, that would not be there if the rust were removed!

Yes I have a couple rusty chains...one was used by a tri-axle dump truck to pull another similar truck, which got stuck, out of my driveway. I hooked the chain up, and they got out. The stuck driver said "That's a pretty good chain!" Half inch chain...unknown origin...from that point forward referred to as "Mr. Rusty"...

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Still trying to figure out what is wrong with a rusty chain, that would not be there if the rust were removed!

Yes I have a couple rusty chains...one was used by a tri-axle dump truck to pull another similar truck, which got stuck, out of my driveway. I hooked the chain up, and they got out. The stuck driver said "That's a pretty good chain!" Half inch chain...unknown origin...from that point forward referred to as "Mr. Rusty"...
Rusty chain leaves rust marks wherever/on whatever, it may be used.