Bucket sizing

RY OLOC

Equipment
L2900 GST 4x4 LA480 loader,R4 tires, 5' brush mower, log splitter, 7' york rake
Jun 4, 2015
East Bridgewater, MA, US
Hey guys,

I am new to the site and new to owning my tractor its a L2900 GST 4x4 and so far I love it . I got it at a great price with a bunch of attachments ( 5' brush mower, 7' York rake, log splitter and some others) but I feel like the bucket is a little too small it is only 56" wide first where is a good place to purchase a pin on bucket I see lots of QA buckets but not a lot for pin on. Second what would be a good size I am managing a 2 acre horse farm I was thinking 72" but not sure if that's too much for the LA480 loader to handle.

Thanks

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I would say it depends on intended use. Anything not powered by tracks or articulates, is really a material bucket. If you intend to move material like gravel, mulch, compost etc... You could likely go wider. If you want to dig a foundation, smaller with teeth would be more appropriate. I would love a quick attach setup, but that puts my bucket 3" further from pins, and de-rates my already small lift capacity.

RY OLOC

Equipment
Jun 4, 2015
East Bridgewater, MA, US
Ya I am not doing any real digging its more for scarping the horse corrals, loom and mulch

speedymph1000

May 18, 2015
Alabama
Hey guys,

I am new to the site and new to owning my tractor its a L2900 GST 4x4 and so far I love it . I got it at a great price with a bunch of attachments ( 5' brush mower, 7' York rake, log splitter and some others) but I feel like the bucket is a little too small it is only 56" wide first where is a good place to purchase a pin on bucket I see lots of QA buckets but not a lot for pin on. Second what would be a good size I am managing a 2 acre horse farm I was thinking 72" but not sure if that's too much for the LA480 loader to handle.

Thanks
I've got the L3901 LA525 with a QA 66" bucket that so far does very well. I've been using it to grade off a bank for a new road to go up. I'm just not sure if You have enough power or lift capacity to run a 66" bucket.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Moving horse crap and mulch you probably would be fine with a 72" although most 480 loaders I've been around were 60". If you were wanting to move gravel I would use the smaller bucket you already have. That would also give you the option to have one bucket with teeth and one smooth.

RY OLOC

Equipment
Jun 4, 2015
East Bridgewater, MA, US
Moving horse crap and mulch you probably would be fine with a 72" although most 480 loaders I've been around were 60". If you were wanting to move gravel I would use the smaller bucket you already have. That would also give you the option to have one bucket with teeth and one smooth.
Thanks I am going to try to locate a 72" pin on bucket and see what that would cost me

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Thanks I am going to try to locate a 72" pin on bucket and see what that would cost me
You need you one of these QA's to go on your loader. It make bucket change so easy. My neighbor had a 480 loader on his tractor and it was the same width as my 450 loader so I see no reason this QA won't fit yours.

I would be lost without mine, some of the best money I ever spent on a implement. :D

Attachments

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
You can get a decent price from Bingham, on EBAY. The pin-on bucket is a 60" for that tractor, the QA is a 66". Generally you want the bucket to be as wide or a bit wider than the tractor wheel width. Unless you are really spread out wide, either bucket should work. The pin-on is a bit more agile, and has a touch more weight capacity, because the QA attachment itself weighs about 50 lbs, and pushes the bucket out 3-4 inches out in front.