Bucket Mirror?

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
I still new at this but wondering if they make a mirror that you can attach to the bucket that would let you see exactly where the edge of the bucket is. Or do I just need more time on the tractor?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Allen - you mean "where it is" relative to level, or how far forward?

I'll assume relative to level...

Do a search for "bucket level indicator" here on OTT. "Search" function is at the top of the page.

Here's one I found that references others:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38735&highlight=bucket+level+indicator

Many guys have made one for their FEL in various ways. I believe Kubota also has them for certain models.

A mirror could work, but I know I would break it off within 10 minutes...or less...:p

FOOTNOTE: Seems there is a Kubota P/N for the LA344 FEL - - BX2411. Not endorsing the Vendor, it just showed up in a Google search:

http://www.hoober.com/kub-bx2411-bucket-level-indicator-rod-la344la344s

As far as online parts vendors, many guys here recommend Coleman or Messicks.

Last edited:

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
I just was thinking being able to see the front edge of the bucket would be a big help to me (maybe not). I live on a pretty good hill. Some of those links are real good ideas.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think on the LA344 bucket on the top of the bucket on the right side is a flat piece of steel with a decal on it. That is suppose to be an indicator to let you know when the bottom of the bucket is in the same position relative to the ground.

There's many ideas of how to determine pitch of cutting edge of a bucket. To get past the learning curve seat time is required. Find you a mound of dirt or a load of rock and practice/experiment to get the feel of if you're cutting, scrapping or missing the whole pile!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I just was thinking being able to see the front edge of the bucket would be a big help to me (maybe not). I live on a pretty good hill. Some of those links are real good ideas.
I don't think a mirror will do anything some seat time (and maybe level indicator) won't cure....

Enjoy some practice! :D

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Seat time will help with knowing when the bucket is level to the surface you are on, but I'm still going to fashion up a mirror to help to see the bucket lip. Quite often I use the lip to lift, flip, scoot, etc. and sometimes need to position the lip just right, not necessarily flat or level, but at a specific spot. My idea was to get a mirror mounted to a flexible rod of some type, and attach that to a magnet. This way I can place the mirror on the bucket in a position to see the lip yet stay out of the way so it doesn't get destroyed, all while being easily moved/removed. Once ski season is done I'll make one up and post pics and let you know if it's a waste of time or not.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Ok, Ive got it figured out. You all need a mirror with a magnetic base like the old CB antennas. Stick it where you want it and when it gets knocked off, just put it back on!!

Remember, it's like wearing a back brace all the time when you don't need one. Soon, your back is weaker than when you started wearing it.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I've got a goose neck lamp, and an old CB antenna magnet. Thanks for the idea. I guess it could also be useful for looking backwards without having to turn around in your seat for reversing. My neck and back would appreciate that.

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Repurpose a rear view camera setup? Or the sort people put in horse trailers. The small camera should be small enough that it wouldn't be too hard to protect it when mounted on the bucket top edge say, and it has a good field of view. Anyone already tried this?

ALLEN007

Equipment
BX2380
Dec 11, 2018
CHIPLEY, FLORIDA
I live on a pretty good hill so most of the time I'm not scooping level (if that make sense). I like the camera idea. They make cheap wireless back-up cameras. I may have to give that a try.

I did get a clamp on mirror with a goose neck but the neck was not long enough and the goose neck would not stay put.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
You could also use a dash cam of sorts, but it would require running wires.

JohnDB

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
I'm looking forward to hearing how it works for you. Great project to share with us. If it's the sort of camera/display with parking rectangles, it could be very useful aid for judging distances.