Bucket chain hook placement

John Churchill

Equipment
L3301 4WD Gear
Mar 10, 2024
Ocala FL
Thanks for the warning about about needing a spacer. Good point that I had not considered. I do quite a bit of sailing and fair leads are important in ropes, but it didn't cross my mind about chain & hooks which seem indestructible,

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Ken at boltonhooks.com can supply everything you need plus instructions for installation so there won't be any guesswork. My BIL uses them and they're very nice.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I’ve never seen the need for a middle hook. If I want to lift something with a single line centered, I just hook it on both side hooks and drape the chain end hooked in the middle.
I put a slip hook in the middle of my bucket, and I use it all the time. I wouldn't be without it!

Since I'm an amateur tree feller, I always hook a chain to the tree up a bit and use my tractor to put some force on the tree to make sure it falls in the direction I expect it to. ( yes, I have plenty of 20 foot lengths of grade 20 chain so I can put the tractor well away from the tree)

This is one important use I have for the center hook. Using a slip hook allows me to adjust chain length and hook it into one of the grab hooks on one side or the other. Works really well for me.

Anytime I'm going to pull something by chain from my loader. I always use the center hook.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Be super,super careful when pulling ANYTHING tied to the bucket!!! A chain breaking while under tension travels a helluva lot faster than you can !

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
He’s mentioned enough….

@Kennyd4110 and his products can be found at:

Www.Boltonhooks.com

He has hooks designed for the OP’s application with the raised lip of the bucket.

I haven’t bought his hooks, but have other stuff. Great folks and great products!

I almost bought a shirt too, but haven’t…yet.

First rate in my opinion, and you can see him right here on OTT. (y) (y)

Can’t get that from Amazon vendors….

Last edited:
  • Love

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I put a slip hook in the middle of my bucket, and I use it all the time. I wouldn't be without it!

Since I'm an amateur tree feller, I always hook a chain to the tree up a bit and use my tractor to put some force on the tree to make sure it falls in the direction I expect it to. ( yes, I have plenty of 20 foot lengths of grade 20 chain so I can put the tractor well away from the tree)

This is one important use I have for the center hook. Using a slip hook allows me to adjust chain length and hook it into one of the grab hooks on one side or the other. Works really well for me.

Anytime I'm going to pull something by chain from my loader. I always use the center hook.
Falling wedge seems a little safer.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Tree guy used loader and rope to make SURE the 65' Spruce landed where HE wanted it to go. $1000 got it delimbed,ground into chips AND it didn't bounce off the 4800V 3 phase(main power on poles) 20' next to it !

Cityguys sling the tree, apply up tension,cut most of the trunk, then yank on tree to break the 'sliver' holding it.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Never used my tractor to pull a tree where it needs to go. I have, however, used the bucket to put pressure on the opposite side of where I want it to go.

Question: I've never seen it done, but is the bucket too weak to mount hooks on the side near the top?
IMG_2624~2.jpg

John Churchill

Equipment
L3301 4WD Gear
Mar 10, 2024
Ocala FL
I know nothing of course but I didn’t want my bucket wider. I now would also have concerns about a straight lead from the hook unless it pivots somehow

Steamer Pete

Equipment
LX2610
Mar 29, 2021
Holland, MI
Just got a L3301 with a 60" bucket. Bought a couple of bolt-on chain hooks from eBay. Don't plan on any super heavy lifting, but missed having something like that on my last tractor. No particular use intended. Is there a preferred location for mounting? The mounting in the photo seems poor with a gap between hook and backing plate.
I initially put a pair in mine, in line with the cylinders. Works well for strapping something to the bucket to carry it around, but lifting something heavy, it causes the tractor to lean a bit, so bought another set. Mounted on the center, gave the other to my son for his tractor, as he was experiencing the same thing. Recommendation: Install 3.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I initially put a pair in mine, in line with the cylinders. Works well for strapping something to the bucket to carry it around, but lifting something heavy, it causes the tractor to lean a bit, so bought another set. Mounted on the center, gave the other to my son for his tractor, as he was experiencing the same thing. Recommendation: Install 3.
Why not hook to each hook on the ends of the bucket and then hook the two ends together so the chain drapes down the center of the bucket? This is the strongest way to lift something from the center. The chain is still centered, but the weight is carried by both hooks in line with the lift arms.

Last edited:

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Yes, that can be done, I had some pics on a mini skid steer bucket but can't find them now!
Sweet! Thank you. I was thinking it would work better for me. Mostly it would be moving stuff in / out of a truck bed.