Brush Hog size for B2650

wchp12

Equipment
B2650, Landpride 60" RFM, CoutryLife 12" Post Hole Digger, Kubota BB60
Jun 22, 2015
Garnett Ks
I am searching for what is the best kind of brush hog/bush hog/rotary mower for my B2650. I have seen and read a lot on that a 5 ft is too much for the tractor but others say that is just right. I was told that for every foot of mower you need 5HP at the PTO, the B 2650 is rated at 19.5 HP. I have a 60" landpride finish mower and that does just fine.

Thoughts/suggestions. Anyone in eastern Kansas/ Western Missouri have a 4 ft for sale?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
First thoughts is go with a good name brand cutter and you'll be much happier with the final results. Cheap cutters (in most cases) give a poor quality cut. That being said I looked at the specs on a couple different models.

Bushhog BH4: rated for 15pto hp, weight almost 400#, blade tip speed 14,632

Land Pride RCR1248: rated 20 pto hp, weight 400#, blade tip speed 13,256

If you go up to 5' on either brand it adds around another 100# which would make a big difference on how light your front end gets. The 4' LP is just over your pto rating and has a slower BTS which would mean a lower cut quality. Not saying it would cut bad but the BH would cut better.

In my opinion, between those 2 models the Bushhog brand would be the best cutter for your tractor. Plenty of cutters on the market but my advise is always compare blade tip speed, it does make a difference.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I'm running a Landpride RCR1860, their medium-weight 5 footer, behind my B2650 without issues.

It's definitely all it wants, but it runs it well.

Before that, I ran a Woods M5 "Dixie Cutter" behind my JD750. I got pretty tired of all the folks telling me I couldn't swing a 5 foot blade behind that little tractor. Especially as I did it for 25 years in all kinds of conditions including just beating the hell out if it running over alders and poplar saplings.

In my experience, you can go 5 foot without problems.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
That appears to be a good, heavy duty unit and the price is a bit high but not bad for what it is.

Good: tow behind so no stress on the 3PH, heavy construction, decent condition.

Bad: Manual height adjust. I'm always tweaking the height on mine to adjust for varying conditions even in one field. Blades appear to be an odd size, make sure you can find spares.

That leaking seal is a common thing on rotary mowers. Replacing it is not usually worth the effort as the new one will tear up and leak almost instantly and it's a HUGE pain to do. The usual solution is to run "corn head grease" in place of the gear oil. CHG is a special grease that's very thin to begin with and liquifies under heat/pressure. Plenty of lube to keep the gearbox happy, thick enough that leakage is minimized.

Last edited: