Brush Hog B2650

biggamefish

Equipment
Aug 31, 2017
ny
I looking for a Brush Hog for my tractor. I was wondering what size I should go with. I have some people saying the 1548 and others saying and rcr60? I don't want to be under powered but want to be able to work effectively. The manual says 19hp at the PTO.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
if your just doing grass/hay/wheat?

you might do okay with the bigger hog (60")... just slower..

but if you are doing rough stuff & clearing brambles/brush with it? go 48"..

you can still go a little faster which makes up for the difference in size.

was running a 42" hog on my 7200 & 2601.... & even now on the 40hp.. it dont bog down that way. :D

Grouse09

Equipment
B2650 Cab, snowblower, FEL, brush hog
Aug 24, 2016
Traverse City, MI
I use the 60” land pride rotary cutter for all brush cutting situations. Works great on everything (deep grass to saplings).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuckDog

Equipment
B2650
Jun 23, 2017
Laotto, IN USA
I run a 60” behind my 2650. Handles it no problems. Pretty impressed with the things I cut with it!

IraqVet1982

Oct 9, 2017
Michigan
I run an RCR1260 on a B2650 to clear trails in the woods. Knocks everything down without issue. I’ve even hit some 2-3” trees by accident and it knocked them down - but I wouldn’t recommend making a habit of this.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Keep in mind nearly every manufacture carries different grades for each size. Think of them as light, medium and heavy duty. Metal thickness and gearboxes differ for each one. I’m only mentioning this as the weight changes significantly between them. The blades can also change in size (thickness and width) increasing the inertia which could tax the PTO clutches over time.

For example:

Landpride RCR1860: 599lbs
Landpride RCR2660: 1,002lbs

How much can the 3-pt handle hanging way off your he back?

Good luck with your search.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I looking for a Brush Hog for my tractor. I was wondering what size I should go with. I have some people saying the 1548 and others saying and rcr60? I don't want to be under powered but want to be able to work effectively. The manual says 19hp at the PTO.
It depends upon what you plan to cut and how fast you plan to cut it.

I've been mowing with various tractor/mower combinations in various conditions for nearly 50 years and I would not buy anything larger than 48" for use with 19.5 PTO HP unless I planned to use it only in absolutely ideal conditions.

SDT

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
It depends upon what you plan to cut and how fast you plan to cut it.

I've been mowing with various tractor combinations in various conditions for nearly 50 years and I would not buy anything larger than 48" for use with 19.5 PTO HP unless I planned to use it only in absolutely ideal conditions.

SDT
this & the post before it are why i said that in my post...

land pride tells you that they dont recommend anything above the RCR class for less than 20hp at the PTO.

& they actually recommend the 42" cutter for that PTO HP....

https://www.landpride.com/products/146/rcr12-series-rotary-cutters

Titan hogs have the exact same recommendation.

BUT: the 48" is the most common & as stated they will "handle" a 60"....

on my 2601 this 42" was perfect, but now that i moved up a size on tractors, the 48" would be nice.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
I use a Woods BBx48 with my B2650.
It has gone through 6 years of abuse between my ex B3200 and now the 2650.
The blades are fairly easy to take off. It is stored out side year round and there is no rust on the deck.

I was interested in a 60” cutter last summer, but that didn’t work out.
The LP2060 and Woods Bbx60 were the 2 that I was interested in. They are similar in weight and price.

prof.fate

Equipment
75 L175, 14 toro timesaver, Landpride boxblade, countyline auger
Nov 9, 2017
Beaver, PA
I debated what to get - the tractor is an L175 - 15 pto hp, 48" wide tractor.

what needs worked is about 18 acres of horse pasture - they don't eat everything so the weeds need kept after.

Talking to many folks the concensus was 48" - for power, for weight (i have no loader). Some said a 60" would be fine..

I found a used 48" king kutter, fairly heavy duty compared to what rural king sells now..no clue how old it is.

I have ZERO issues with it - weight is fine, spin up (gear driven pto) is fine, up hills, etc - no problem.

I've not hit what I call 'heavy stuff' - solid 4' tall weeds, woody plants, etc. I've run over saplings (up to 3/4 inch or so), vines, weeds 18" ish tall and it never misses a beat, no bogging even up hill.

Issues: - 18 acres is huge! My thought was I can mow faster so 4 foot or 5 is no difference...NOT TRUE - sure, i can cut fine in 2nd gear but the ride is WAY too rough out in the pasture to go that fast.

So maybe I shoulda gone 5'...I know a guy with a 5' and was gonna borrow it to see ... may still do that. Plan to get a bigger tractor later this year or next spring when the car is paid off , so this 4' may only be a one year deal.

Weight of the hog isn't an issue - it's got that rear wheel so the only time the tractor has to pick it up is for SOME transport - just shtu off pto and drive with it down..no probs.

And to add, i'm cutting about as low as it will go - 6" maybe. the only bogging I had was running over the remnants of a roundbale that was wet.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I debated what to get - the tractor is an L175 - 15 pto hp, 48" wide tractor.

what needs worked is about 18 acres of horse pasture - they don't eat everything so the weeds need kept after.

Talking to many folks the concensus was 48" - for power, for weight (i have no loader). Some said a 60" would be fine..

I found a used 48" king kutter, fairly heavy duty compared to what rural king sells now..no clue how old it is.

I have ZERO issues with it - weight is fine, spin up (gear driven pto) is fine, up hills, etc - no problem.

I've not hit what I call 'heavy stuff' - solid 4' tall weeds, woody plants, etc. I've run over saplings (up to 3/4 inch or so), vines, weeds 18" ish tall and it never misses a beat, no bogging even up hill.

Issues: - 18 acres is huge! My thought was I can mow faster so 4 foot or 5 is no difference...NOT TRUE - sure, i can cut fine in 2nd gear but the ride is WAY too rough out in the pasture to go that fast.

So maybe I shoulda gone 5'...I know a guy with a 5' and was gonna borrow it to see ... may still do that. Plan to get a bigger tractor later this year or next spring when the car is paid off , so this 4' may only be a one year deal.

Weight of the hog isn't an issue - it's got that rear wheel so the only time the tractor has to pick it up is for SOME transport - just shtu off pto and drive with it down..no probs.

And to add, i'm cutting about as low as it will go - 6" maybe. the only bogging I had was running over the remnants of a roundbale that was wet.
Clipping horse pasture is not far from "ideal" conditions unless the ground is VERY steep.

Little HP is required to cut weeds.

Mowing heavy grass requires MUCH more HP.

SDT

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Prof.fate, There has to be some adjustments on the brush mower to allow it to cut shorter. Your trail wheel is set too low?

"And to add, i'm cutting about as low as it will go - 6" maybe. the only bogging I had was running over the remnants of a roundbale that was wet."

I've never seen a brush mower that wouldn't cut lower than 6"!

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
^^^^ 6"?

wow! as D2 said.... i run at 3.5" & set that height on concrete. which means out in the soft ground im probably at 3".

your rear wheel adjusts on that hog & then you balance it out from your 3 point & top link combo to get it level.

IF you arent just letting it run on the front corner slides.... my front slides hit at about 2.5" of blade height.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Prof.fate, There has to be some adjustments on the brush mower to allow it to cut shorter. Your trail wheel is set too low?

"And to add, i'm cutting about as low as it will go - 6" maybe. the only bogging I had was running over the remnants of a roundbale that was wet."

I've never seen a brush mower that wouldn't cut lower than 6"!
Agreed.

I have 5', 6', 7', and recently sold a 10.5' rotary cutter. All were adjusted to cut with the skid rails about 1" above a concrete floor. All would cut at less than 3".

SDT