Brush cutter question, size vs. wieght.

bowtech40

Equipment
Kubota B3030, 60" mmm, LA403 FEL
Nov 29, 2011
Lindstrom, Mn.
I am currently looking to purchase 60" rotary brush cutter. I have a B3030, and it says that 24" behind the link pins that max weight is 1670#. The cutters vary from about 600# all the way up to 1200# for the same size cutter. I realize the gear box is bigger and and the material in heavier, and that the heavier ones can cut bigger stuff. I guess my question is how heavy of a cutter can I use on my tractor? It would seem that spinning the cutter would not be the problem, the weight would. I have a loader on mine, and just want to buy the stoutest unit I can safely handle without wrecking my tractor in the process. I will be using it to open up some trails on my hunting land through some poplar trees that are up to 3" in diameter. Any real world advice would be helpful.
Mark

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I don't believe your tractor will handle the weight or abuse of a 60" cutter capable of cutting 3" wood. I do that with my L5030 with LP RCR2672 and M8540 with a Woods DS1260 and it sure shakes them around a bit.

Go to Woods/LP/Bush Hog website and look at some narrower models.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I think rather than width as a specification you should look at PTO horsepower. It sure seems nice to figure a 60'' cutter will cut 25% faster than a 48'' but it probably won't since you would have to go half as fast, so you end up spending more time in the saddle. Know what I mean?
The B3030 has a 23 horsepower PTO, you are looking at a 48'' cutter from what I've seen. Don't get thrown off by the gearbox rating, that's just the box, you should find the "tractor HP rating" of the desired cutter.

bowtech40

Equipment
Nov 29, 2011
Lindstrom, Mn.
I have been looking at 60", as I have not seen anything 48" that is that well built. I understand the HP rating, which was why I questioned it in the first place. Why would 1 60" be rated at say 20hp and another at 40hp when they are both 60"? It has to be based on the weight of the cutter itself, correct? So if a Bush Hog SQ160 60" is rated for my HP and weighs 630#, why should I not be able to use a Quick Attach 60" cutter that weighs 840#? They are both the same physical size, one is just heavier built then the other? I believe it has more to do with the weight when the attachment is raised and how light it would make the front of the tractor?? I could be way off on my thoughts, but would the PTO not drive each unit equal? Given a total length of 8 feet for the cutter, and one weighing 210#s more it would add to the overall fulcrum on the 3 point system. The other thing about a 48" is that it is more narrow the the width of the tractor, which does not seem efficent to me. But if you know of a heavy built 48" cutter out there, I would be willing to look at it. The reason for this post was to see if anyone with my tractor is running a 60" in lets say the 850# range, and how it handles it? thanks for you time and comments.
Mark

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Mark, 60" is misleading as I am sure you can spin a light duty 60" cutter, but you indicate the need to cut 3" saplings etc. and that is going to require a much heavier duty cutter. Go pick up a blade off of a light duty cutter then one off of a medium or heavy duty cutter; lots of difference.

I will say it again, I routinely cut the stuff you are describing and I would not even try it with a B Series on anything other than an occasional basis and then only backing in. I have torn boots on my L5030 and have bent the guards.

Check these out to get an idea of what is available:http://www.woodsequipment.com/rotaryCutters.aspx

http://www.landpride.com/products/rotary-cutters/single-spindle

bowtech40

Equipment
Nov 29, 2011
Lindstrom, Mn.
Triple, after reading your post I am beginning to question this purchase. I am thinking maybe I should hire one of the brush cutting/mulching outfits around here to do the trail work, and then maybe just buy the medium duty Landpride cutter to maintain it afterwords? It says it can handles up to 2", and I do not want to tear up my tractor. I just need to find out what they would charge me to do it? Any thoughts?

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
bowtech that is certainly an option as is renting the equipment to do it if you are comfortable operating it.

We prefer to rent an excavator or backhoe for the occasional use chores as we don't want money tied up in something used rarely.

The same can be said for a heavy duty cutter. We have several hundred acres and move wildlife cover around so we cut heavy brush every year which means we have to have the bigger tractors.

Check with your local rental places to see if they have a tractor with cutter you can rent and if not, look into hiring someone.

Good luck.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I wonder how many of the 3'' trees you have to handle. Perhaps if there are enough you could have a logger come in and take the trees for pulp, not a big $ venture but it could help pay for the brush-hog. A chainsaw really is the proper tool for anything much over 2 inches. I've done a few white pines at about 2-1/2 inch and it is not a fun-ride at the park even with a 53 horse tractor. An occasional tree is one thing, but for clearing a number of trees, ohhhh, that'll shake your fillings out.

mlatour3300

Equipment
B3300SU
Dec 18, 2011
west lafayette, indiana
Not sure this is correct, but someone stated on a related webpage as a rule of thumb 5 PTO horsepower per foot and that would be pushing the edge on 60" which I have on my KubotaB3300 and it have no real problem using the unit and overs the rear times. However, I would not consider going over something 3", personally. Would it do it, perhaps, but that is just pushing the unit out of my comfort zone vs. weeds, light work :)

TripleR

Equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I have read the formula for HP per foot and it may be OK, I have just found it to be a jumping off point to be considered with what you intend to cut.

I can cut pretty good size saplings and really tall weeds with less HP loss than really thick grass.

One of the good things about the larger cutters is you don't have to take a full width cut so if the cutter works well for most of your stuff, but you also have a little really heavy stuff, you can cut only a portion.

Finding the right cutter for a particular set of tasks can be difficult and we have gone through a few to finally find the right ones.

tiredguy

Equipment
B3030 HSTC,B2781 51" front mounted snowblower,60" MMM
Jan 21, 2010
northern lower Michigan
Bowtech,
I too own a B3030 and have a bunch of seat time brush hogging deer trails and what you're trying to do will beat you and the tractor to death. First off except for the occasional 2 inch poplar or pine use a chain saw or pull those big ones out with the tractor. 60 inch especially one that heavy is way to big and if you have any slopes or cradle knolls at all, extremely dangerous and tractor damaging too. The 29hp L series my cousin has is very marginal and that tractor is much more stable to me. Anything up a grade at all must be backed into very gradually and even then it won't take you to long to figure out brush hogs aren't designed for doing trees or that large of saplings. It's best suited more nocking down weeds and brush the type you'd never dream of running your lawn mower through. Once you get the big junk out of the way maintaining them is slick if you do it a couple of times a year. If you do some careful planning of how you run them you'll create the perfect highways for the deer to travel on frequently. I've got a 57hp Belarus I use a 60 inch on that handles it well and put the 72 inch on for "mowing maintainance" once all the junk is cleared out. The 48 is a better fit for the B3030 really.
Oh, and don't forget to watch out for your tires, those 3 & 4 inch tall sharp stumps poke some huge holes renduring them un-repairable and as usual very expensive to replace.
Tired

bowtech40

Equipment
Nov 29, 2011
Lindstrom, Mn.
Tired,
Thankyou, this is the info. I was looking for. I will find a good used 48" Woods or the like, and use that to maintain. I have access to a skidsteer with brush mower, or there is a logger around here that has one of those 300hp mulchers.
Mark

amos

Equipment
kubota L4310 Hstc
Feb 4, 2012
abbeville, ga.
If you have an operators manual, look under contents & look for implement limitations, it will answer your question & will tell you what width & weight your tractor can handle.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I know my L 3000 is close to the same hp as a 3030. I would never even want to think of going thru the woods cutting 3" trees with mine. I think more of my tractor than that.