Brown Tree Saw

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Well, couldn't find just a whole lot about these implements, but it sounded like just what I needed. SO, I took a chance and purchased one. I have about 6 acres at the farm that need some serious cleaning up. Many old fruit trees (20-30 yr old), and lots of scrub. Dad passed away 10 yrs ago and the old place has just set. I am cleaning it up.

Anyhow, here is the machine;

MX 5100, front grapple/root rake, Brown tree saw on the back. The tree saw has a 3' dia blade with 12 (I think) carbide teeth about 3/4" square. The blade is has to weigh 150 lbs. It cuts right at the ground.

I spent about 8 hrs on Sunday clearing and stacking, clearing and stacking, repeat..built up about 4 HUGE brush piles. Doesn't take long when you set whole trees on at a time!

It will cut through an 8" pine tree with a little bogging of the engine, but no problem. Oak it will cut but I have to feather it a bit. This is one place where the HST is a much better choice. I can go an inch a minute if I want to. If it bogged down, I could just slow down. I should have taken some pictures of before and after. I have some more work to do and will add them later. I can go back over the stumps with a finish mower if I want to, the don't stick up at all. Dead even with the ground.

I had contemplated hiring out one of those brush eating monsters to do this, and no doubt it would have been faster. However, I think this will be very handy to have around, and a good bit cheaper.

Doc

budpat105

Equipment
L3800
Aug 13, 2013
Jacksonville,il
Man, I've been wanting one of those. They claim 35 HP needed. I have a L3800 HST, should have got the L4600. Maybe time to trade, have less than 100 hours on my machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Man, I've been wanting one of those. They claim 35 HP needed. I have a L3800 HST, should have got the L4600. Maybe time to trade, have less than 100 hours on my machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From the way the MX handles it, that is probably a good estimate. I think yours would pull it, but you would need to go slow on larger stuff.

4800 was what I gave. Got a bid of about 12,000 dollars to have it done professionally, so I don't feel too bad. Will just peck away at it.

Doc

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
From the way the MX handles it, that is probably a good estimate. I think yours would pull it, but you would need to go slow on larger stuff.

4800 was what I gave. Got a bid of about 12,000 dollars to have it done professionally, so I don't feel too bad. Will just peck away at it.

Doc
That was about what I was guessin. You can always sell some firewood, as you clear. Won't make you rich, but it will be cheaper than a gym membership...:D:D

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
Put the saw to work today again, and got one before and after picture. It was way too wet to be doing this, but I was determined to get out and work in the few days of great weather we have. Burried the tractor multiple times and had to use the front end loader to push myself out. Would have done alot more but was turning into oatmeal. ALMOST didn't get out a couple of times.

Before;

After(I couldn't get in the same spot as that was where I put the brush pile :eek::eek:

And the two brush piles I built;

You can build stinking big brush piles when you can set whole trees on at once :D:D

Doc

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Pretty cool Doc,, looks like a good place for bunnies to live,, but then I love to hunt bunnies :D,, Man I could use that for the bamboo Im still trying to get rid of

Mudball

Equipment
L2501 HST 4WD
Aug 3, 2015
TN
That is a killer set up on a great tractor.
Im getting ready to slooowly tackle two acres of thick crap and I couldnt think of any other attachments I would love to have for my project than these. Oh well heck I wish I had the right tractor to outfit them anyway so I think you are doing really great.

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
I would have a few more pictures, but it has been raining for 6 months!!!! Can't get out and think about doing any work.

Doc