Broken Steering Wheel

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
While getting on my tractor (L175) today, the center of the steering wheel broke. :eek: The spokes came loose from the center hub.

I can still steer the tractor, but I forsee a new one in the very near future.

I have called a couple of salvage yards that are relatively close with no luck, and priced at two dealers at $198- $234. ouch

Any ideas that may not break the piggy bank?

Thanks,

Robert

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
JB WELD!!!

Seriously, take the wheel off and see if you can use a soldering iron to melt a channel between the spoke and the hub on the underside. (Mine has a groove in the underside of the spoke)

See if you can get a short #8 sheet metal screw screwed into the hub in that channel. Leave an inch or so sticking out of the hub, unto the channel. Before installing the screw, scuff up the channel really well and then wipe it with acetone. Then, back fill the channel around the screw with JB Weld.

That or, find the neatest after-market wheel you can find and fabricate a way to use the original spline in your new wheel. (More JB Weld!!!)

Good luck!

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Thanks guys, I could not remember Weaver's name.

Right now I am trying a variation of CaveCreekRay's repair; I am waiting on the QuickSteel putty to cure. If it works, fine. If not I will be exploring other options.

Robert

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I don't know the 'hub' on an L175 but normally adapting one steering wheel to another is fairly easy to do with a drill press. You may have to make some kind of intermediate adapter plate but I've seen aftermarket hot rod steering wheels on lawn tractors so about anything is possible.

Personally I'm looking for some kind of 'wrap' for my new steering wheel, I want to keep it 'fresh' for as long as possible. Wraps are easy to change out.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
The QuickSteel putty worked, it is at least as solid as the steering wheel has been since I owned the tractor.

The real test will be when I have to mow the lawn in another four or five days. I have a lot of trees to go around.

Robert