Broken Grease Nipple

maximus

Equipment
B7000
Aug 10, 2010
UK
Recently purchased a gray B7000 and discovered that some chump has managed to break off the grease nipple used to grease the clutch bearing. This nipple is in a difficult position, as the grease gun has to be inserted through a hole in the RHS tractor body.

The thread of the nipple is still in the bearing casing. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it out, so a new nipple can be inserted?

Thanks

Chris

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Can you drive an Easy-Out into the nipple through the access hole? The broken nipple should expose a hollow core where the grease goes through. Drive the Easy-Out in and twist out the nipple.

The Easy-Out type of extractor comes in swirled threads and also a long taper with four cutting edges. At least those are the ones that I am familiar with.

Google "easy out" to get more information.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
Usually broken zerks come out easily with an easy out or bolt extractor because they are usually in a fairly anti corrosive environment. There is a good change the fitting is metric, so make sure you replace it with the right type!

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
I've had good luck with a left hand twist drill, just big enough to clear the minor diameter of the threads. If it drills through you can pick the threads out pretty easily; if the drill grabs, it will usually screw the broken fitting out.

Robert

guilt trip

Equipment
Kubota B6100E tractor, kubota box blade, & 5' bush hog mower.
Jun 23, 2010
central Florida
I had the same problem . I picked up a set of four different sizes from NAPA auto store and they really come out easy just tap a couple times on the end to drive the point into the fitting and turn slowly and they screw out. I have changed all the grease fittings on my B6100E . These Orange Tractors are Parts Pricey so a little grease goes along way to keep you away from the parts counter. some of the fittings probably didn't need changing but the cost was minimal compared to the cost of what it is greasing. JMT Grady

maximus

Equipment
B7000
Aug 10, 2010
UK
Thanks for the advice folks.

I bought some 'Easy-out' extractors and although the broken nipple was in an impossible position, being through the body and used to lubricate the clutch bearing - hence impossible to use the drill - the extractor worked just by turning with a pair of pliers! The broken thread came out.:)

I've decided to replace all the zerks.

Does anyone know if they are metric or imperial?

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Now that you have one out you might take it to an auto parts store and compare the threads with new. Go to a "real" auto parts place since discount stores usually have "discount" employees.