Broke The Curl on my L4200 with LA680

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
I was pushing on a log that was too heavy for my loader to lift. When I can’t lift it I push. Well, this time there was a bang and now it won’t curl up. It will curl down and then as soon as I let go of the handle it goes loose again. I feel like the problem is in one or both of the curl hydraulic cylinders. I’ve been told that maybe the nut came off of the rod. Does this sound feasible and how much might it cost to have those rebuilt/repaired. It has always sagged after a short time, just the curl and not the loader. Thanks.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The nut may have come off or the end may have broken off the rod. Disconnect them and see which one moves easily, that's your culprit. No way to know cost until you find out what happened.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I was pushing on a log that was too heavy for my loader to lift. When I can’t lift it I push. Well, this time there was a bang and now it won’t curl up. It will curl down and then as soon as I let go of the handle it goes loose again. I feel like the problem is in one or both of the curl hydraulic cylinders. I’ve been told that maybe the nut came off of the rod. Does this sound feasible and how much might it cost to have those rebuilt/repaired. It has always sagged after a short time, just the curl and not the loader. Thanks.
Was your bucket tilted forward/down when you were pushing the big log?

Costs are going to be stiff when I look at the following Messicks prices.

If the nut ripped off the push rod or broken the rod, a new one is $516.70

This does not include the necessary seals etc.

A complete cylinder is $667.12

forum LA680.jpg

Once you determine of one or both bucket cylinders are damaged, I would start with a trip to a hydraulics repair shop.
Then you can decide if repair is practical.

Dave

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
I had the forks curled all the way down and drove up against the log, then tried to curl up, which would cause the log to roll. Then bang. This has worked fine until now. I intend to call local Kubota dealer and hydraulic shop in morning. Is the $600 price the whole thing so I can buy it and bolt it on? If so, I will do that over repairing for 500.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I had the forks curled all the way down and drove up against the log, then tried to curl up, which would cause the log to roll. Then bang. This has worked fine until now. I intend to call local Kubota dealer and hydraulic shop in morning. Is the $600 price the whole thing so I can buy it and bolt it on? If so, I will do that over repairing for 500.
A close read of most Kubota loader manuals advises against pushing with the bucket tipped forward as the linkage which allows the bucket to curl far back to hold a lot also works to put excessive forces on the cylinders.

The situation is much worse using forks as many forum members have learned the hard way..

The following is not your from your loader's manual but most read the same.

forum bulldozing.jpg

Spend a couple of minutes watching this Messicks video explaining how you can put severe hydraulic pressures back into your tractor by the way you operate it.

Video

The $600 price looks like the complete cylinder. Taxes and shipping extra depending upon where you order it.

Dave

Reactions: 1 users

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
Thanks, I knew about the risk of backdragging, but I didn’t feel like that’s what I was doing. Clearly the extra length of a fork adds significant torque allowing parts to fail. I won’t do that again. Live and learn.

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Definitely check with the hydraulic shop first. A repair may be a fraction of the OE cost. I have actually seen a broken stem on a rod cut off flush, then drilled and tapped, and the piston bolted to the rod.
They probably also have access to aftermarket cylinders for substantially less if repair is not cost effective.

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
Well, I dropped off the cylinders at a hydraulic shop. Unfortunately someone showed with 4 cylinders just before me, so I’m in second place. The second cylinder that I took off would not move easily so I’m hoping that one is not broken and can just have new seals put in.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
One rod was broken off at the end. Other was bent. They are rebuilding both for $650. Will take about a week. It is what it is.
Sounds like less than 50% of new complete cylinders, so definitely a good deal!

Welcome to OTT.

dvcochran

Equipment
Kubota M9000, New Holland TN90, Deere 2640, Vermeer 504N, Vermeer 504SI, more
Feb 23, 2011
Dickson, TN
How many hours on the machine? If higher hours and hearing that you have been using it pretty hard And if you determine it is a cylinder and have to pull one, I would suggest taking the other to a hyd. shop and have it tested. My shop will do this for no charge. If the physical parts are okay (rod/tube/piston) a rebuild in my are (middle TN) is normally $100-$200 depending on cylinder size.
The mounting style on the bottom may be a problem but you should also give agri-supply a try if you have to replace. Your rod end style is very common but the other end I am not so sure about.

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
My machine is 20 years old. I bought it with about 1600 hours on the meter 2years ago. There are still 1600 hours on the meter. Clearly the meter doesn’t work. Runs awesome though.

Pau7220

Equipment
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
One rod was broken off at the end. Other was bent. They are rebuilding both for $650. Will take about a week. It is what it is.
Straightening is quite easy. Did they say how they're fixing the broken one?
Check the stops on your bucket... Mine were broken and welded poorly.... that's how I bent mine.
Price doesn't sound out of line if doing a complete job.

Firefighterontheside

Equipment
1997 Kubota L4200
May 24, 2018
DeSoto Mo USA
I thought they said they were replacing both rods. Either it was badly bent, but it didn’t look like it, or it was also broken in some way. I looked at the stops on the loader when it happened and they were fine and have always worked like they’re meant to.

Khays

Equipment
LA853 Loader
Feb 17, 2021
Oklahoma
I think I have same issue, with pressure off, the cylinder's will curl the bucket in. When you take off the cylinder lines should both of them push fluid? Or should one push one return?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think I have same issue, with pressure off, the cylinder's will curl the bucket in. When you take off the cylinder lines should both of them push fluid? Or should one push one return?
The lines from the loader spool valve to the cylinder?
Yes one should supply and one should return, and then swap for the other cylinder motion.
But you should not be testing or running the tractor with the lines off, incredibly dangerous.
And with newer Valves some valves will actually power both lines to some degree no there is no way to get a good test from that.

What is your issue?
Is it the same as the OP's?

Khays

Equipment
LA853 Loader
Feb 17, 2021
Oklahoma
The lines from the loader spool valve to the cylinder?
Yes one should supply and one should return, and then swap for the other cylinder motion.
But you should not be testing or running the tractor with the lines off, incredibly dangerous.
And with newer Valves some valves will actually power both lines to some degree no there is no way to get a good test from that.

What is your issue?
Is it the same as the OP's?

Khays

Equipment
LA853 Loader
Feb 17, 2021
Oklahoma
My bucket tilt went hard in, the cylinders extended full out. With the tractor running, I can move the bucket and cylinders a a few inches by hand (It's to heavy to go more) when released it free falls back down. The position of the bucket is then about 2 inches from the back hard stop. I can engage the handle as if dumping and the cylinders push it hard that last to inches to the stop. Release handle pressure and it swings back about 2 inches from stop

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My bucket tilt went hard in, the cylinders extended full out. With the tractor running, I can move the bucket and cylinders a a few inches by hand (It's to heavy to go more) when released it free falls back down. The position of the bucket is then about 2 inches from the back hard stop. I can engage the handle as if dumping and the cylinders push it hard that last to inches to the stop. Release handle pressure and it swings back about 2 inches from stop
Yep you've broken something inside of usually one cylinder, probably the piston.

Khays

Equipment
LA853 Loader
Feb 17, 2021
Oklahoma
Going to bust the lines loose and pull the bottom pin to see if I can push in either cylinder Hopefully one of them will retract. I think one is working or it wouldn't pull it full dump