Broke something

FLCracker

Equipment
L3000dt
Dec 17, 2017
SWFL
Was using my kubota today pushing cabbage trees in a pile to burn. Something broke, constant grinding while engine running now. Lost power steering or maybe just weak and three point hitch hydraulic still raised my box blade but was slow. I could still drive and shift gears. No fluid leaks and hydraulic fluid looked clean in sight glass. Any thoughts?

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Was using my kubota today pushing cabbage trees in a pile to burn. Something broke, constant grinding while engine running now. Lost power steering or maybe just weak and three point hitch hydraulic still raised my box blade but was slow. I could still drive and shift gears. No fluid leaks and hydraulic fluid looked clean in sight glass. Any thoughts?
TD knows more than I so give his suggestion a look.

BTW since your new..... check out the ULTIMATE readme's on top of each forum. Lots of links there to great threads about how to solve various things, FAQ's etc. Makes using the board for help a bit faster.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
TD knows more than I so give his suggestion a look.
Say what?
Don't pass the buck to me, it was just a guess!
Now you've made me go and have a look at the parts layout, and it has the gear case to step the pump out, so a few possibilities there, I recall someone recently having a similar problem, can't remember if they stripped the pump spline or a gear in the housing. Appears pump parts are available, "IF" that's his problem.

REL1

Equipment
L2501 BH77, EA Grapple, Land Pride Grader Scraper
Apr 22, 2017
IN
Just thinking out loud, did you check your hydro filter for damage?
I was using a small tractor and had the same symptoms your describing.
The hydro filter was damaged from running over some brush and was restricting the flow.

FLCracker

Equipment
L3000dt
Dec 17, 2017
SWFL
Just thinking out loud, did you check your hydro filter for damage?
I was using a small tractor and had the same symptoms your describing.
The hydro filter was damaged from running over some brush and was restricting the flow.
My L3000 has an internal screen but no external filter. Good thought though I wish it was something that easy. I will pull the pump and check for damage but was hoping someone who has done so will chime in with some tips.

FLCracker

Equipment
L3000dt
Dec 17, 2017
SWFL
I pulled the hydraulic pump and started the tractor noise gone. Pretty much confirms something wrong with the hydraulic system. Noise was coming from up front so my thoughts are hydraulic pump was damaged, however no visible damage to the pump and it turns freely. I haven't disassemble the pump yet but I can view the input gear and out gear impellers, all of which are complete with out a missing tooth. Thoughts?

I'll pull the strainer and verify that it is clean, bye bye 8 gallons of kubota udt.

FLCracker

Equipment
L3000dt
Dec 17, 2017
SWFL
Pulled strainer and it was nasty, 15 years worth of crud. That's what I get for trusting the PO about previous maintenance. I should have known when I looked at the bolts holding in the strainer, paint was still factory new. Put the pump back on and after 7.5 gallons of fluid she runs like new.

Thanks for the suggestions all.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Something broke, constant grinding while engine running now.
Pulled strainer and it was nasty, 15 years worth of crud.
So was it definitely a grinding noise, or perhaps a pump cavitation/starvation noise?
Whilst the noise is gone, I'd hate it to come back, if it was actually a grinding noise.
So what was on the strainer, disintegrated brake pads or other? If there was a ton of crud, I would consider another oil change again, including draining of hoses and cylinders. YMMV.

gwoade

Equipment
B6100E w/ QH10, 48"MMM, drag harrow, lawn roller, RB1560, Super Apache Chipper
Aug 15, 2016
Colchester, CT, USA
Pulled strainer and it was nasty, 15 years worth of crud. That's what I get for trusting the PO about previous maintenance. I should have known when I looked at the bolts holding in the strainer, paint was still factory new. Put the pump back on and after 7.5 gallons of fluid she runs like new.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
Clogged strainer will definitely cavitate a pump. Given that the pump turned freely and now that the problem was gone that sounds like what was going on.

FLCracker

Equipment
L3000dt
Dec 17, 2017
SWFL
It was more like a racket noise, I felt like a gear tooth was rumbling around inside, but noise was cavitation / aeration inside the pump cavity. Oil was clean, no metal shavings or chunks, but the strainer was covered in thick white goop. Tractor only has 250hrs but it was obvious the strainer had never been cleaned. I put cheap oil in and will drain again after a few hours and replace with kubota fluid.

My theory is that when I was pushing the cabbage trees I got a running start a couple times and jarred the nasty goop loose from its resting place and it got stuck in the strainer. I had zero issues with the hydraulic system prior and no signs of reduced flow rate. I am thankful it was something simple.