Breaking out the "Big Guns"

Sidekick

Equipment
Sidekick 850, BX3260, Z726XKW-3-60
Jul 29, 2023
N.Y,
I too have never heard of "Blue Creeper"
Reviews are all very good,.....for sewing machine lubrication.

I have been using Kroil, as a penetrant, for many years, with phenomenal success.
Blue Creeper sells for $4.20 per oz.
Kroil sells for $1 per oz. ($128 per gallon)

I bought a full gallon of Kroil.
A gallon of Blue Creeper would apparently be $4.20 x 128oz = $537.60 ?
I shall pass on Blue Creeper.
I have multiple penetrant needs.
I only have one sewing machine!
I found out about it on the Forestry Forum. They make the log rite can't hook that I use and after all the posts about how good Blue Creeper works I decided to try it. Mostly for the low odor that is non toxic. Really amazed me by how little it takes to free up rusted items, especially things like lugnuts and no toxic outgassing. You just need a couple drops and wait a couple minutes. If it doesn't break free a couple more drops and usually that's it. I use the sewing machine oil on all my CNC machines and things like squeaky hinges in the house where you don't want fumes. Really great made in America products by a small business. My wife has a little bottle of each now and takes care of the house squeaks without bothering me.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I found out about it on the Forestry Forum. They make the log rite can't hook that I use and after all the posts about how good Blue Creeper works I decided to try it. Mostly for the low odor that is non toxic. Really amazed me by how little it takes to free up rusted items, especially things like lugnuts and no toxic outgassing. You just need a couple drops and wait a couple minutes. If it doesn't break free a couple more drops and usually that's it. I use the sewing machine oil on all my CNC machines and things like squeaky hinges in the house where you don't want fumes. Really great made in America products by a small business. My wife has a little bottle of each now and takes care of the house squeaks without bothering me.
My rust penetrant/release needs would very rarely require a no odor or toxicity product.
I do not use Kroil in any residential building.

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
I’m doing brakes on my Ridgeline this weekend. After reading this, I’m hoping the air hammer is not required

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
They make a sewing machine oil and it has a similar name. The penetration oil sells for $69.90 per gallon.
A 16 oz. refill bottle is $13.50 Take a look at their website. https://bluecreeper.com/
Thanks for that.

I still have almost a quart of KROIL in my gallon can.
Probably enough for another 15-20 years.
My window for using it all would thus be 98- 103.
I think I m good!

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I’m doing brakes on my Ridgeline this weekend. After reading this, I’m hoping the air hammer is not required

Be sure to use a quality silicone grease when reassembling and make sure the boots are not ripped.

I think that was my problem.

My theory is that I had rips in my boots and the grease "washed out".

It is possible that I forgot to grease that side though.

Good Luck, I'm sure it will turn out fine! (y)

Reactions: 1 user

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Ive had good luck with the purple brake grease on the slide pins. I have some cheap brass brushes from HF I use in the bore if I have a sticky pin and it needs cleaned out. That and a lot of brake cleaner. No signs of uneven wear at 105k on the original front pads and rotors. Hopefully the worst part of it is getting that darn screw out of the rotor. Usually a #3 Phillips in the impact driver does the trick. If not, there’s always the drill bit.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Ive had good luck with the purple brake grease on the slide pins. I have some cheap brass brushes from HF I use in the bore if I have a sticky pin and it needs cleaned out. That and a lot of brake cleaner. No signs of uneven wear at 105k on the original front pads and rotors. Hopefully the worst part of it is getting that darn screw out of the rotor. Usually a #3 Phillips in the impact driver does the trick. If not, there’s always the drill bit.
"the drill bit" ???
The left hand drill bit!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
"the drill bit" ???
The left hand drill bit!
No, I drill the top off the screw and then the rotor pops off. You can easily grab the remnants of the screw with pliers or fingers and extract easily. Usually the screw head has fused with the rotor and the threads in the hub are not a problem. If it starts to give me issues I just go to the drill. Not worth the time or effort to try and save them

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Have you ever heard of the product "Never Seize"? It keeps items from seizing together and it doesn't wash off ever.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Have you ever heard of the product "Never Seize"? It keeps items from seizing together and it doesn't wash off ever.
Great stuff......unless you are trying to wash it off your hands with soap and water.
It also seems to have a natural tendency to jump off your hands,.... to then smear itself on anything within 10';)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That's why many mechanics can't keep track of their 10mm sockets. The sockets are small, smooth and that anti-sieze on their hands!!

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
Sadly the factory did not use any anti seize during assembly. They did use a bit of thread locker though.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have found that many pieces of equipment have thread locker chemicals to hold the part in place. Sometimes I think it is an anti-tamper method also. Kubota snow blower gear boxes the fallen screws are held in place with a thread locker, and you need to warm them with a torch to get them out. The first time I experienced it I put a pipe on my Allen wrench to get enough leverage to break it loose. It also twisted the fallen wrench, but the Snap-On dealer replaced it. He also told me not to use a pipe on the wrench in the future. When a bolt or nut doesn't break loose using conventional tools I assume thread locker and out comes the torch to put some warmth on it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I have found that many pieces of equipment have thread locker chemicals to hold the part in place. Sometimes I think it is an anti-tamper method also. Kubota snow blower gear boxes the fallen screws are held in place with a thread locker, and you need to warm them with a torch to get them out. The first time I experienced it I put a pipe on my Allen wrench to get enough leverage to break it loose. It also twisted the fallen wrench, but the Snap-On dealer replaced it. He also told me not to use a pipe on the wrench in the future. When a bolt or nut doesn't break loose using conventional tools I assume thread locker and out comes the torch to put some warmth on it.
"He also told me not to use a pipe on the wrench"
That was an unknown?;)

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Man, I haven't seen Kroil since the '70s when my Dad always kept it in the garage. I didn't know it was still available.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Man, I haven't seen Kroil since the '70s when my Dad always kept it in the garage. I didn't know it was still available.
It's available everywhere, almost. Ebay, Amazon, Home Depot......

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
In case you didn’t know (somehow it took me until the last decade), the Japanese brands (Honda and Toyota) use “JIS” (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws that look like Phillips but really are not. If the head had a single dimple in it, it’s JIS and the right driver bit can really help not strip out the stubborn ones. Along with heat, lube and a whack or three.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Japanese Industrial Standard screws and Phillips screws history.