Breaking causes Tractor to stop

liam.hanninen

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200 manual
Dec 20, 2022
North Carolina
Just got a B7200 with a bucket. I'm new to tractors so I could certainly be doing something wrong. Just got it rolling yesterday. But when I brake the tractor shuts off. That's the issue but just for context I just adjusted the clutch freeplay because I couldn't even get it into gear without hearing grinding. Now I don't hear the grinding and can move the tractor back and forth but when I break it just shuts off. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Just got a B7200 with a bucket. I'm new to tractors so I could certainly be doing something wrong. Just got it rolling yesterday. But when I brake the tractor shuts off. That's the issue but just for context I just adjusted the clutch freeplay because I couldn't even get it into gear without hearing grinding. Now I don't hear the grinding and can move the tractor back and forth but when I break it just shuts off. Thanks for any thoughts or advice.
Liam
Lots will try and help you but first you need to provide more information.
What type of transmission does your tractor have. Just manual selected gears or a hydrostatic unit?
Tractors of the B7200 vintage are very simple. the only safety switch is to prevent starting without the clutch depressed.
If you have a manual transmission, step on the brake and dont depress the clutch you will stall the engine.
Currently how do you stop the engine? With a mechanical knob you pull out?
Telling us where you live and current weather can be useful at some future time as it makes a big difference what the temp is.
Dave

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
His profile says that he's in North Carolina.

He talks about adjusting the clutch so I am wagering it's a manual transmission (not an HST) and
in this day and age, many North Americans have never driven a standard transmission
vehicle.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sounds like he got a Kubota with a Ford auto shut off, he didn't say if it restarted and went when he gave it gas. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

liam.hanninen

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200 manual
Dec 20, 2022
North Carolina
Liam
Lots will try and help you but first you need to provide more information.
What type of transmission does your tractor have. Just manual selected gears or a hydrostatic unit?
Tractors of the B7200 vintage are very simple. the only safety switch is to prevent starting without the clutch depressed.
If you have a manual transmission, step on the brake and dont depress the clutch you will stall the engine.
Currently how do you stop the engine? With a mechanical knob you pull out?
Telling us where you live and current weather can be useful at some future time as it makes a big difference what the temp is.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I'll update my profile with some of that info. But I'll also include it here. Just got the manual which says 'Gear shift, 6 forward and 2 reverse'. I'm not sure what hydrostatic is though. So not sure if that helps. The weather is very mild here even in winter - western NC. It's hilly around here but I'm just driving on a level, paved driveway for now. To your point I don't think I've been breaking with the clutch depressed. So that might be the issue. So just so I understand: if I'm going forward and want to stop I have to depress the clutch THEN break?

BIGO

Equipment
M5660suhd X1140 RVT
Sep 13, 2018
Fl
Thanks Dave. I'll update my profile with some of that info. But I'll also include it here. Just got the manual which says 'Gear shift, 6 forward and 2 reverse'. I'm not sure what hydrostatic is though. So not sure if that helps. The weather is very mild here even in winter - western NC. It's hilly around here but I'm just driving on a level, paved driveway for now. To your point I don't think I've been breaking with the clutch depressed. So that might be the issue. So just so I understand: if I'm going forward and want to stop I have to depress the clutch THEN break?

"So just so I understand: if I'm going forward and want to stop I have to depress the clutch THEN break?"

YES

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Thanks. It's amazing how much I don't know what I don't know.
Liam - - think of the clutch as it "takes it out of gear."

Disengages the engine from the transmission for ground drive, and probably the rear PTO to power implements.

You are free-wheeling with the clutch depressed....it will coast down hills.

We'll leave that for Lesson 2.... ;)

liam.hanninen

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200 manual
Dec 20, 2022
North Carolina
Liam - - think of the clutch as it "takes it out of gear."

Disengages the engine from the transmission for ground drive, and probably the rear PTO to power implements.

You are free-wheeling with the clutch depressed....it will coast down hills.

We'll leave that for Lesson 2.... ;)
Sign me up! Not to keep this going but when you say "takes it out of gear" and free-wheeling - makes me think that having the clutch depressed would be similar to being in neutral. Is that accurate at all?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Sign me up! Not to keep this going but when you say "takes it out of gear" and free-wheeling - makes me think that having the clutch depressed would be similar to being in neutral. Is that accurate at all?
Yes

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I'll assume that you have always driven an automatic transmission car. If this is the case, then I suggest that you find a friend that has a "stick shift" car and have him teach you how to drive it. Once you master driving a standard transmission (stick shift) car, using your tractor will become second nature to you. Driving a standard transmission car requires you to coordinate the clutch pedal, brake pedal, accelerator, and shift lever. You won't learn this by reading a forum or book. You have to actually experience it.

liam.hanninen

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota B7200 manual
Dec 20, 2022
North Carolina
Thanks that was really helpful. He said to stop I'd use the clutch which confirms what people here have been saying. And he also said if you push on the break the tractor would keep moving. Dumb question: what is the point of the break, then?

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thanks that was really helpful. He said to stop I'd use the clutch which confirms what people here have been saying. And he also said if you push on the break the tractor would keep moving. Dumb question: what is the point of the break, then?
Depending on your tractor, it can have enough power when in gear to overcome the brake.

You press the clutch in, this disengages the transmission, then as you pointed out, you are basically in neutral. The brake keeps you from rolling forward/backwards and if you had been moving along, depressing the clutch and brake together is the equivalent of depressing the brake in your automatic car and bringing you to a stop.

The clutch by itself can't stop you if you have momentum behind you or on a hill. The brake is used for stopping.

Also, for a later lesson, you can use your split brakes to turn tighter, but for right now, focus on the basics.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Please use the right word, it's not Break it's BRAKE! ;)

If you break it, it's broken.
If you Brake it, it stops.
That is if you push the clutch in first.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Please use the right word, it's not Break it's BRAKE! ;)

If you break it, it's broken.
If you Brake it, it stops.
That is if you push the clutch in first.
I guess I misunderstood.

Kept thinking every time I use the break my tractor stops too...getting older I use the break more frequently than I used to...sometimes even enjoying a beer with no need to question why the tractor engine cut out. :giggle:

• Haha

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
And opposite of a car you only have brakes on the rear wheels.

Reactions: 1 user

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Refreshing thread welcome!

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Is that accurate at all?
As the other guys said - - yes!

One thing to note with a tractor is that the brakes are very rudimentary. They're not like any car or truck you've driven. You never, ever, ever want to trust your brakes to stop you at any speed.

Often, they're "split" wheel brakes that one pedal does one side, and the two brake pedals next to each other can be locked together to brake both wheels at once.

Wheel brakes are often referred to as Steering Brakes, since in certain circumstances you can drive and steer the tractor by using the left or right brake as needed. They can also help when traction isn't good on one side versus the other. Use the spinning wheel brake to encourage the other to drive....

Even if locked together, they can be a little touchy, grabby, or non-existent.

Heck, you might be moving to Lessons #3-5 before we know it.... ;)

Last edited: