Box scraper or Grading scraper

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
I have a L2800 and want to get either a box scraper or grading scraper for it...having researched the products available I have found that Land Pride has two options...and I would like some real world advise. I have a long hard pack gravel driveway that I need to maintain and sweeten every so often. I get what a Box scrapeer can and can't do...but I need comments from anyone who has used a grading sacraper like the GS 1560 Land Pride or similar...is that more useful for finish grading..etc. or any advise in geral about what would be the best implement...I have an FEL on the rig also...thanks

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
I bought a Land Pride Scraper (35 series) to go along with my FEL. It probably is capable of better finishing than I am but I got it mostly for the versibility in angles, tilt (L-R) and side to side. Makes dressing the sides of the drive for erosion control lots easier, there's nothing level here. After I open up the side of the drive i.e. I can come back with the blade with it angled away from that side and finish dress it. If you were trying that with a straight box it'll fill the trenching back in a little, plus you reall can't do any off level cutting anyhow.

steve08

May 21, 2010
oregon
Box scraper with rippers and top & tilt on your 3pt. will do things the Blade can't...

Blade can somethings the scraper can't... (but not many)

No reason not to own both;)

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
I have a long gravel drive going down the side of my property back to my shop. I had a weed problem, & wash-out from rain storms. I did a LOT of research, read & read & read other people's thoughts on the box scraper vrs
grading scraper. I decided, for me, the grading scraper was what I needed.
So, I bought a Land Pride GS1548.

Couldn't be happier ! I love it ! Makes my road look like I bought fresh limestone every time I use it.

I have a area at the back of my property that needs some grading. So, I'll
be finding out how well it works in dirt. I have a feeling I won't be dis-appointed.

NC Bota

Equipment
B7610, FEL, box blade
Jun 1, 2010
West Jefferson, NC, USA
I got a 4 foot box blade for my B7610 and really like the versatility of this piece of equipment. It levels and slopes my drive, helps with building roads through the woods, and moves material around well.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
tarmstrong, I have both a grading scraper and box blade. I use the grading scraper much more often than the box blade, mainly because I need to maintain my gravel driveway. We had a interesting thread on this subject about 6 months ago. In it, I posted some pictures showing its use. This should take you to it:

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1480

Good Luck!

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Pat331
I tried your link just for my own satisfaction but couldn't get it to work for some reason..... maybe someone else will try it as well.

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
Meant to say to, I'll have to profess ignorance, I didn't know there was a box scraper that you could angle like a 3-way scraper blade. If so I guess it'd probably be a horse apiece. The box blade w/teeth is probably better at digging and stronger.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
A box blade is allot more useful than a scraper, in fact it is probably the most useful attachment there is. I maintain several driveways with mine. I also use it to rip up ground and level it, push and drag brush, knock small trees over, rip roots out of the ground, pull dirt and gravel out of creeks, and have even used it to cut tall grass and weeds when I didn't feel like putting the mower on.:D You can also tilt the box blade with your three point and dig irrigation ditches. Million and one uses.

NC Bota

Equipment
B7610, FEL, box blade
Jun 1, 2010
West Jefferson, NC, USA
A box blade is allot more useful than a scraper, in fact it is probably the most useful attachment there is. I maintain several driveways with mine. I also use it to rip up ground and level it, push and drag brush, knock small trees over, rip roots out of the ground, pull dirt and gravel out of creeks, and have even used it to cut tall grass and weeds when I didn't feel like putting the mower on.:D You can also tilt the box blade with your three point and dig irrigation ditches. Million and one uses.
For a video on how to use a box blade go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxuEDGSGOZA&feature=player_embedded

Back40_dude

Equipment
98 B2400HSD FEL B/B
Jul 17, 2010
pittsburgh
Here try this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIed2lzfQ-g&feature=related

Maybe you already saw it.?

Worth 8 minutes.

The one disclaimer with E/A video's they are dragging around everything with a serious tractor MX5000 series and most of the attachments are the larger ones. The operator seems to have a good handle on what he is doing.

BUT! It makes for a good video.

PS: Anybody out there ever buy from E/A?

Good luck
Mike

Jimmysal

Equipment
B1750HST, RC60 MMM, LA300 FEL, TSC 48" BoxBlade, PTO Dbar chains tongs old Stihl
Aug 26, 2010
Vermont
I picked up one of the cheaper 48" box blades from TSC a few months back. So far so good, it does what I want. The whole thing could be a little heavier, but once the blade bites in and there is material in the box, things go fine.

The gussets on the bars to the lower 3pt arms end too early, and i ended up bending them using the blade in reverse to push like a bull dozer.

This brings me to my final problem with the unit, it doesn't look like they prepped the steel properly before powder coating it. There seems to be the typical die finish scaling on the steel, so when the frame bent, the powder coating began to flake off in that area.

All that aside, it took me about 2 hours last night to resurface the 500 or so feet of my driveway that were hurting pretty bad. Angling the blade with the adjustable link to make a crown worked really well. I've also used it to "mow" trails and to back blade said trails after skidding logs. The scarifiers are also helpful to loosen up the ground before digging with the FEL.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I picked up one of the cheaper 48" box blades from TSC a few months back. So far so good, it does what I want. The whole thing could be a little heavier, but once the blade bites in and there is material in the box, things go fine.

The gussets on the bars to the lower 3pt arms end too early, and i ended up bending them using the blade in reverse to push like a bull dozer.

This brings me to my final problem with the unit, it doesn't look like they prepped the steel properly before powder coating it. There seems to be the typical die finish scaling on the steel, so when the frame bent, the powder coating began to flake off in that area.

All that aside, it took me about 2 hours last night to resurface the 500 or so feet of my driveway that were hurting pretty bad. Angling the blade with the adjustable link to make a crown worked really well. I've also used it to "mow" trails and to back blade said trails after skidding logs. The scarifiers are also helpful to loosen up the ground before digging with the FEL.
Allot of the TSC stuff isn't very heavy duty, it's mostly economy stuff. In the video above, they show a heavy duty unit, and you can even bend those if you get them in a bind with a bigger tractor.