Box Grader Vs Box Blade

edwardsonmark

Apr 8, 2016
US
I bought a box blade for my gravel driveway and am very disappointed in either my skills or it being to small to work right and I really wish I would have gotten a box grader or land plane

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
For gravel road maintenance only, what's the vote?

I can buy this; http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/grq/5934505865.html
For about the same money I can add TnT with a box blade.
For moving something that "sits" on top of the ground from one location to another - the back blade is great and typically wider than a box blade. IF the ground needs to be agitated a bit - the rippers on the box will do that better than the rear scraper.

I have used both - for gravel, both can be used - HOWEVER 1/4" 3 point adjustment does not lend itself well to the scraper blade - the box blade can "sit" on the ground and not make a complete mess, where the scraper will cut or pull ugly!

I find that reversing the scraper blade works excellent to roll gravel back into a ditch line, or spread out loose gravel or dirt - for cut and filling highs and lows, the box is still better.;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The name of the add is a little misleading, I wouldn't call that a box blade, I would call that land plane.

Land planes work very well at maintaining gravel, and you don't really need TNT to make them work properly. ;)

Yukon Wild

Equipment
Kubota L4400HST, Loader, Box Blade, Cultivator, Back Blade
Jan 10, 2017
Whitehorse, Yukon
I have a land pride box blade to maintain my gravel driveway of about 1000 ft. I find that it works really well at leveling low/high spots, leaving a crown on the road and moving material around. I had to play a bit with it to find the sweet spot so that it doesn't dig but it was pretty easy and overall I really like it. You can dig or just flatten the ground behind depending on how you adjust it with the top link.

The box blade also works for snow removal when there is just a few inches, the sides keep the snow in the box up to a point and you can get close to buildings, etc.

I haven't used a box grader before but it looks like it would do the job too, especially on flat surfaces. It also looks like you should be able to adjust it enough to leave a crown on your driveway to let water drain. It won't be as good to move material around though.

Attachments

Greenhead

Equipment
L4400, MX5100
Oct 13, 2014
Fond du Lac, WI
We have a United Box Blade. It is really well made and does a good job. I dig the teeth in to loosen up the gravel in a parking lot and really work up the low areas (pot holes) Then adjust and level out the whole thing.
Wear hearing protection.:eek:

https://youtu.be/LxuEDGSGOZA

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
I have a quarter mile gravel drive and was in the same spot. Ended up with a box scrapper. It is more versatile. With a little pratice it does a real nice job.
My .02

Shepbear

Equipment
B2650, SSQA 60 inch bucket, QA with BB1260 box blade
Jun 1, 2016
San Tan Valley, Az
I just got a new b2650 about a week ago with a land pride bb1260 box grader. Works great. Cleared and leveled about 150ft X 40 ft of weeds in about 15 minutes. Then I made a use able rc track in about half an hour. Moved some dirt too. I have NO prior experience with this attachment or any other. Pretty easy to use. I plan on spreading about 100 tons of granite when the new house is finished, and will use the fel and the box grader to do that.

OrangeLivin

Sep 9, 2015
Eastern
+1 for me being a little confused about the implement names in this post :D

I have a United Box Blade, it looks like this:

So because it says it on the side, I'm pretty sure I have a box blade :p

Is a box scraper the same as a box grader, which is the same as a land plane? Searching for images for all of them seems to mix the images all together.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Box scraper, box blade are the same thing. Box scraper being the most common term. Not sure about the box grader, it may be the same as a box blade. The land plane does not have the box around it. Thats how it was explained to me.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My feel is that if you only want to maintain the driveway, the landplane is the way to go. If you want an implement to do the driveway & be useful for lots of other chores, go with a box blade.

Dalroo

Equipment
MX4800DT
Aug 24, 2015
Brookesmith, TX
I have a box blade, and very little experience, but quickly learned how to maintain my gravel drive with it and it does a very nice job. For general maintenance, basically getting all grass and weeds out and keeping a nice flat drive, I do not use the rippers.

I have simply made a number of passes with the 3pt on float position, starting with no angle on middle of drive, and then adjusting in a bit of angle to do the edges to maintain the crown. My caliche drive is about 125 yards long and I can make it look freshly laid with about 30 minutes of work.

Will add that when the contractor built the drive he used a landplane after the trucks had dumped the gravel and it was pretty slick, but I don't feel it would add enough value for me to purchase one for myself.

bcarver

Equipment
l3200 Fel box blade, Bionic Blade, 4ft bush hog, Ken's bucket hooks
Dec 17, 2016
Crystal Springs MS
I have both. For just a gravel road the blade is better than the box. I use both. I bust it up with the box and smooth it with a Land pride Bionic Blade. The Land pride does not have teeth.

Josef

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 Kubota MX 5200 with 6 la1065 loader, sq172 Bush hog shredder, 6 ' Armstrong
Feb 25, 2016
victoria tx 77904
Yes, but do you have TnT?
I have a problem following the discussions sometime. Best I could come up with on TnT is dynamite but I doubt thats the correct answer. Some sites have a list with the corresponding answer but I couldn't find one on this site.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
I have 1/2 mile of drive that I maintain that consists of gravel and a red clay sand mix.

The woods scraper is my choice. Once leveled and set I only touch it when I turn around.

Recently a guy asked how many tons of rock did it take for the drive it looks great. Response, none just a scraper hooked to the L4600 and 8 hours of seat time.

Attachments

Shepbear

Equipment
B2650, SSQA 60 inch bucket, QA with BB1260 box blade
Jun 1, 2016
San Tan Valley, Az
I believe the salesman referred to my landpride bb1260 as a grader, so in my ignorance and inexperience, I called it a box grader. But Landpride calls it a box blade, hence the "bb". Duh!
Works great though whatever the name. A rose by any other name...

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
:cool:
I have a problem following the discussions sometime. Best I could come up with on TnT is dynamite but I doubt that's the correct answer. Some sites have a list with the corresponding answer but I couldn't find one on this site.
Top & Tilt hydraulic cylinders on a tractor 3pt hitch.

These increase the ease of the 3pt capabilities 100 x over. :cool:

Attachments

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
We got a record, for us, 15" yesterday. Blade of some sort it is for me first. The neighbors did 4 miles of road with their big tractors and I got most of our spur drives. Back east it would be business as usual. It shut the city down here.