Box blade choices,... help!

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I'm in the market for a box blade but am having a difficult time trying to decide which to get in terms of value & ruggedness. I'd love to walk into Northerntool and plunk down up to $600 bucks for a quality box blade but I live across the country and shipping is the killer!

There is one on Amazon, but I'm afraid that I might find this to be too poorly put together?

http://www.amazon.com/Howse-Box-Blade-Category-ATVEB48-R/dp/B000N503BI/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1364416492&sr=1-2&keywords=box+blade

Also, I know someone that is selling a quick hitch & box blade combo for $650 which I think is a good price but it's a 54" wide instead of a 48" wide. Can a B7100 work with the 54" well or should I try to keep the size to a 48"?

What brands should I avoid & what should I look for without breaking my $600 budget?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My advise is get one with some weight to it. I made a mistake and bought A light weight box for my 7100. It was a total waste if money. I got a Bushhog brand and it has done everything I ever wanted it to do. Do yourself a favor, buy a good one the first time and be done with it.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Well you are very close to Adams Tractor (Kubota dealer) and Big R there in Spokane. Adams has Land Pride and Big R has brands simular to Northern Tool. I have delt with Adams Tractor several times and they have always treated me well.

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Thanks guys,

I did look at CL (who doesn't?) and looked at Big R. I swore that I saw a 4' box blade when I drove by. A few days later, I bought a HD trailer and went to Big R on the way home to get it but it wasn't there. I went in to see about finding one at another store or perhaps get it on order but they said they never stock the 4' box blades! Grrr.... I've frequented Adam's Tractor (nice folks) and never bothered asking because there's no indication that they stock them among their tractors.

I've just noticed Idaho Implements and may check them out if I don't find any locally. www.idahoimplement.com

I still need an answer regarding a 54" box blade that's available. Will it be ok or should I stick with the 48" for this 17 hp tractor? :confused:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
murph,,, how about a little more detail on that box blade

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
...Will it be ok or should I stick with the 48" for this 17 hp tractor? :confused:
I have a BX1860 (18hp) and the OM describes a 48" BB as the max.
My practical experience with it is that it will stop the little beast dead in it's tracks with the box about 1/2 full... depending on how you intend to use it, you might be able to get away with a bigger box, but it might also be very frustrating.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
murph,,, how about a little more detail on that box blade

I had just brought up the box to break it down and paint it tonight, will paint to match the tractor.

Sold by State Tractor in White Pine TN. Local manufacture. $395

The rake is custom made for me, note the inverted turret, changes angle for the lower 3pt height of the compact.
Rake was also $395
There are local manufactures around the country, better quality and price than the big names.

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
I have a BX1860 (18hp) and the OM describes a 48" BB as the max.
My practical experience with it is that it will stop the little beast dead in it's tracks with the box about 1/2 full... depending on how you intend to use it, you might be able to get away with a bigger box, but it might also be very frustrating.

You run out of traction, not power.
Increase traction.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Increase traction.

Yeppers the other thought 4wd or 2wd ,hi range or low range?
Tires filled or wheel weights?
Like the man said I have run out of traction long before I ever ran out of power with my little beast'

Thanks for the info Murph

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Increase traction.

Yeppers the other thought 4wd or 2wd ,hi range or low range?
Tires filled or wheel weights?
Like the man said I have run out of traction long before I ever ran out of power with my little beast'

Thanks for the info Murph
Good points, of course.
I was scraping/ripping the crust and topsoil in the future former garden.

Using 4WD, Low range; tires are loaded, FEL with a full bucket (as additional wt).

The BX1860 looks to have similar curb weight as the 7100, so the OP will be looking at a similar power v. traction v. BB size matchup.

Not sure what the owners manual might state for the 7100, but for comparison sake, I also have a much bigger and heavier L2600, and the owners manual for it states 52" (!?!) as the max BB size.

Beautiful tractor Murph.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Ismurphy, seeing is how you own the beefiest looking 7100 I have ever seen I have a suggestion for you. Go to tractordata.com and pull up the B7100 and then go to the photo section. There's a contact for Peter on there, send him a photo of your tractor and in a few days he will get it on their site. I have my M9000 and L3000 both on there.

That is one cool tractor, really makes me miss mine.

cjjjdeck

Equipment
L3410 HST; LA481 loader
Apr 2, 2013
Oak Ridge, NJ
I'm in the market for a box blade but am having a difficult time trying to decide which to get in terms of value & ruggedness. I'd love to walk into Northerntool and plunk down up to $600 bucks for a quality box blade but I live across the country and shipping is the killer!

There is one on Amazon, but I'm afraid that I might find this to be too poorly put together?

http://www.amazon.com/Howse-Box-Blade-Category-ATVEB48-R/dp/B000N503BI/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1364416492&sr=1-2&keywords=box+blade

Also, I know someone that is selling a quick hitch & box blade combo for $650 which I think is a good price but it's a 54" wide instead of a 48" wide. Can a B7100 work with the 54" well or should I try to keep the size to a 48"?

What brands should I avoid & what should I look for without breaking my $600 budget?
Just joined this forum, it seems like the members are a great group and the advice and information is terrific.

I noticed that Tractor Supply has not been mentioned as a source for this kind of implement. Since I'm new here, is TSC not usually recommended?

I own several three point implements of theirs and one of them is a 6 ft box blade that has given me great service (it's amazing what you can do with these), I couldn't be more satisfied with it. Although it carries the CountyLine name, it was manufactured by King Kutter and I believe they still are. And their prices are usually fairly reasonable.

I see there is a TSC not far from your area. You might want to see/feel/touch what they offer. They have 4, 5 & 6 foot models. And no shipping charges!

OK.... now blast away if I'm doing something wrong here..... I've got big shoulders, I can take it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh your good, some guys do use the TSC toys from their store. Its one of those things where so many people make box blades and sometimes manufactures get over looked.

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
cjjjdeck,

TSC is over 8 hours in Montana. :(

I'm likely going to try to locate a brush hog and a drag harrow as the first piece of equipment to clear paths on my property. The 48" box blade I can wait for one to show up on CL. If none pops up in a month, I'll order a new one somehow.