Blown hydraulic line (BX23S). Temporarily run othe hydro fluid?

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Last night, while plowing, I apparently blew a hydraulic line that hooks to the backhoe. When the backhoe is off, it loops around and reconnects to a receiver to complete the loop.

I can probably get the hose replaced today (hopefully considering the snow we've received) but i don't think I'll be able to get SUDT2 until tomorrow, at best. Would it be safe to temporarily run something else until I can get SUDT2?

Also, not sure when the line blew other than when I was plowing. Heard some clunking but didn't give it much thought at the time. Possible damage to the HST? Signs to watch for?

Can anybody tell me what size and type of hose to buy?

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Mine blew a few years ago, and I had the hydraulic hose made about 6" longer, so it was easier to hook up the back hoe. I would wait till you can get the Super UDT oil from your Kubota dealer, because if you mix it with other tractor fluids, you will have poor performance, and in the end, you will have to do a complete drain and refill, which will cost you more. Your Hydrostatic Drive System will not be hurt by the oil loss, and once you refill it to the proper level everything should be good again. I bought 5 gallons with my tractor in 2004 or 05, and it is almost time to buy another 5 gallons. It is expensive, but once you have it, you will be glad it is on hand when you need it. I can't tell you how many hoses that I have had to replace since my tractor was new, but the backhoe itself is the only thing left with original hoses.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait until I can get to the dealershio tomorrow. Good call on getting a longer hose.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Forgot to mention, make certain that the hose has the protective nylon sleeve on it. It is designed to protect you from injury while using the tractor should a hose develop a pinhole leak. Pinhole leaks can spray high pressure oil onto your skin, and penetrate the skin, causing great damage, and possible loss of limb or life. As a retired EMT, I only saw this happen once, but I learned a lot about it from that one experience from the medical treatment team at the ER.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Good call. Is it ok to re-use the one that was on the blown line?

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Good call. Is it ok to re-use the one that was on the blown line?
Why would you want to. That wrap is oil soaked, and will attract dirt. A new wrap is probably not more than $5.00, and if they have a variety of sizes, they will put on the appropriate wrap for the hose size. I have all my hoses made at a Parker hose distributor, since they install all new fitting, and do an excellent job. Sometimes they use a hose that is the same ID, but a larger OD if it is in a situation where it might rub on a part of the machine. They also remove and replace the hydraulic quick connect fittings, so all I have is attach it to the tractor. I also have them install new rubber stoppers that you use when the hose is disconnected, and not reconnected immediately.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Nice thing about hydraulic fluid in general is, it washes off with warm water and a hose.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Why would you want to. That wrap is oil soaked, and will attract dirt. A new wrap is probably not more than $5.00, and if they have a variety of sizes, they will put on the appropriate wrap for the hose size.
Ok, fair enough. Called the local Kubota dealership to find out where they take their hoses. So I'm all set. I will stop there and pick up some SUDT2 and a filter. May as well do a complete change since most of the oil is out of the tractor and Imat a little over 300 hrs.

jmf78

Equipment
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
Nice thing about hydraulic fluid in general is, it washes off with warm water and a hose.
I've got some Absorb on it now. Will let that do its thing then clean the floor further with some Brake Clean.