block heater

firstpass

Equipment
L3000DT
Oct 22, 2017
Kooskia Idaho
I recently purchased a L3000DT and would like to know if this engine can take a block heater. Some engines do not have enough space in the water jacket to install a heater in the block. Is it best to buy from the dealer on this item or are there after market block heaters that will do the job. I get single digits here in central Idaho for a short while in December sometimes January.

Thanks for any help on this subject.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
If everything is right with the engine and fuel system, you will not need a block heater. Or if you so choose, the factory number for the block heater is 70000-00297 for around $70.00

Pat

Last edited:

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I must respectfully disagree with 1970cs.

He is correct in saying that an engine in good shape with working preheat/glow plugs will start in almost any conditions. That doesn't necessarily make it a good idea.

IMHO, it is ALWAYS better to start an engine with warm oil and coolant. Much less wear on moving parts (This is probably less of an issue with modern multiviscosity or synthetic oils than it was back in the day) and easier on the starter and battery.

I had the dealer install a factory block heater on my 2650 and keep it plugged into a wirelessly switchable outlet in the winter. If I wake up and see I need to move snow, I push a button on a remote and the block heater turns on in the barn 100 yards away while I sit in the warm house and slurp coffee. An hour or so later, I go down to a tractor that's ready to start and as a bonus, the cab heat starts being effective MUCH sooner. :D

CharlieFoxtrot

Equipment
B2650
Dec 8, 2016
Northeast
I agree with PHPaul 100 %. It is best to warm everything up first. I am here in Vermont not Texas !! If you live where it goes below -0` I would put one in.
Another +1 for PHPaul. I installed a heater last winter and see a HUGE difference in starting when it is very cold. After about an hour of heating, the tractor starts as if it is an 80 degree day even when it is below zero.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
The oem block heater for my L4060 has a steel bushing that fits in the freeze plug hole. The element screws into the bushing and doesn’t extend past the bushing.
I would definitely recommend a Kubota kit - the price was actually reasonable.
I had a block heater on my previous L3410 and starting in single digits was no different than a summer day. Only kicker is the hst needs to warm up also.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
"I had the dealer install a factory block heater on my 2650 and keep it plugged into a wirelessly switchable outlet in the winter. If I wake up and see I need to move snow, I push a button on a remote and the block heater turns on in the barn 100 yards away while I sit in the warm house and slurp coffee. An hour or so later, I go down to a tractor that's ready to start and as a bonus, the cab heat starts being effective MUCH sooner."
Paul,
Do you mind sharing your setup; brands, part numbers, etc? I have mine on a plug in timer which suffices but your system sounds interesting. My barn is about 100 yards but is metal, would that make a difference? Thanks.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
I used this Skylink Wireless Remote Outlet Switch from Amazon.

Plug the receiver into any hot outlet, then plug the extension cord for the block heater into the receiver.

With a metal building, you may need to position the receiver line-of-sight from the house to get reliable operation. Mine is tucked in the trusses overhead with a drop cord down to the tractor but it's a wood stick-built barn.

I also plug a lamp into the same outlet so I know it comes on when I hit the remote.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I used this Skylink Wireless Remote Outlet Switch from Amazon.

Plug the receiver into any hot outlet, then plug the extension cord for the block heater into the receiver.

With a metal building, you may need to position the receiver line-of-sight from the house to get reliable operation. Mine is tucked in the trusses overhead with a drop cord down to the tractor but it's a wood stick-built barn.

I also plug a lamp into the same outlet so I know it comes on when I hit the remote.
That is the remote so I assume you need the receiver also or am I missing something? Is this the receiver you use? https://www.amazon.com/SkylinkHome-...rd_wg=oYURW&psc=1&refRID=D0K19AQBFJWTQ1HXD0RP

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
So those two pieces are all you need? Not a bad deal for under $50. I put them on my Amazon wish list. The 300 feet range makes it better than some other models. I like that setup over the timer I have now and one review did say it would work in a metal building so may be worth a try. Thanks.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
My comment is by previous experience with close to 2.5 decades with my dealership. The Kubotas start in most conditions above 0 degrees.

If have seen several kubota engines go several thousand hours here in Michigan without a block heater. Does it make it easy on the starter, yes!

I have sold several hundred Kubotas without block heaters and 98 percent have never returned for a block heater.

If the owner wants one, so be it! I have no problem with anyone that has one, heck I will sell you one if want. My experience with Kubota engines have been the best cold starting engines compared to Ford, Allis Chalmers, Toyosha, Wakesha, Shibaura, Iseki and Mitsubishi. They start in a lower temp and cleanup the white smoke or raw fuel way faster than above makes.

Pat

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
My B2650 came with one so either it is standard on this model or the dealer installed it as their standard operating procedure. It was not a line item on the invoice and the salesman did not mention it. Our area does go through below zero periods most winters.

PHPaul

Equipment
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
So those two pieces are all you need? Not a bad deal for under $50. I put them on my Amazon wish list. The 300 feet range makes it better than some other models. I like that setup over the timer I have now and one review did say it would work in a metal building so may be worth a try. Thanks.
Yup, that's all you need.

JimmytheGeek

Equipment
B7200E
Mar 12, 2016
Franklin, KY
...and one review did say it would work in a metal building so may be worth a try. Thanks.
As an IT guy by profession, I just want to caution you that metal buildings are notorious for blocking WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular and other radio communications. Our local (to us) Meijer has a metal roof and a brick façade, and whenever my wife calls from inside there, it is a difficult conversation at best. That being said, if you don't have any problems with cell phone calls in your building, you'll probably be okay.

If your building has a transparent plastic or translucent fiberglass panels in the roof, you could mount your receiver up there where it would be line-of-sight to the house and not have any issues. Your only real issue then would be getting power to that point, as there are mounting solutions for any mounting position/material.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have to agree with 1970cs since I was a munchkin and that was many moons ago, I dont ever remember a block heater in any diesel equipment I was around,, and 99% or that stuff sat out side all year long. Good battery, good maintenance is the key, and those machines, though they probably should have been rebuilt, always started and ran. Every thing from tractors to dozers to BIG emergency generators, none had block heaters. Battery tenders YES! The most important thing is maintaining it in peak condition

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I think the OP asked a specific question "know if this engine can take a block heater"

and the conversation turned into why you do or do not need one.

Living in a state that sees single digits often -(Firstpass in Idaho) - I would think one would want the machine to be in a situation that would help it start without owner frustration and allow the machine to be able to "warm up" quickly as opposed to turn the key and sit there on a cold machine allowing the combustion to be the heat source.

Let me ask you guys this; do you wake up and get dressed and run outside WITHOUT drinking a warm cup of coffee first????? It may not heat the innards like a block heater, but it does allow the "machine" to be in a better prepared for the cold.

If I lived in a state of like that, or Canada - I would have a block heater for every machine I owned, period. From the standpoint alone of saving the machine's wear and tear from cold starting would be my #1 concern.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Agreed! It has turned into an opinion fest on everyone's part. I did provide the Kubota part number for the block heater. And speaking of the OP where did he/she go? last on with start of thread

FYI I do hit the bricks for my morning run with out a cup of coffee. Something about cold+liquids=full bladder.;):eek:

Pat

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ya coffee cold plastic seat in the truck 20f with a wind chill of WFC,yeah been there,, but hey if someone feels a block heater is the way to go,then I say good on them,, Oh and I never had one on the HD back inthe old days when being a bad arse was rideing to work in 20f weather on a panhead. Im happy to say I did grow up,,maybe :D