Bleeding Front Loader Lines

Orangefox40

Equipment
B7200HSD_FEL+Blade, 1986
Jan 2, 2010
Haliburton, Ontario, Canada
Hi Everyone,
One of the bucket cylinders on my B1640 front loader was leaking so I have replaced the seals and am ready to reinstall the cylinder. Removing the cylinder ment disconnecting the hydraulic lines and emptying the oil from the cylinder. Now to reinstall the cylinder I presume that the cylinder and lines must be bled. I have not seen any bleed screws. I would really appreciate a helping hand on how to bleed the hydraulics properly on my B7200. The loader lines were disconneted at the quick connects so the tractor hydraulics were never opened and only the two lines from one cylinder were removed. The hydraulic line connectors were sealed with a whitish paste and I wonder if a tape sealant would be sufficient rather than a paste to reconnect the fittings.
Thanks,
Ron

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I just had the loader off of my B8200, no disconnects, lost a bit of fluid. I hooked it back up. Cycled it a couple of times, a little jerky at first then worked better the more I worked it. It didn't take long maybe 30 seconds. So I don't think you will need to bleed it at all. Hope this helps.:D Dusty

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
This should be a sticky: you don't need to bleed hydraulics.

I use tape for my hydraulics

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hi Mingy. I am not about to say forever and always hydraulics don't need to be bled. I just said that I did not bleed mine, and they worked. Sorry if I miss led you.:D Dusty

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
I changed all the hydraulic hoses on both my FEL & BH, plus purged the cylinders of non Kubota UDT oil. I didn't bleed anything after getting it back together. Everything is working fine. I'm sure there are cases where a line or cylinder has to be bled when put back in service. Maybe someone with more experience will jump in and tell "how it is supposed to be done".

Orangefox40

Equipment
B7200HSD_FEL+Blade, 1986
Jan 2, 2010
Haliburton, Ontario, Canada
Hi Guys,
Thanks very much for this and I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start a squable. However, this may sound dump as I'm not a hydraulics machanic but I do like to know why. There will be air in the system even if I fill the cylinder before I reinstall it. Where does the air go if not Bled out???:confused:
Ron

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Whoa a Sceewabble. No such thing here. I was pretty much saying the same as pat331 , I aint no hydraulics expert. And it is pretty hard to offend me. I just ain't that bright. And I guess there is one thing you should understand. Most of us on OTT are not tractor techs let alone Kubota techs. Most of us are just kubota owners and most of us do our own repairs. We share what we know from our own experiences with our kubota tractors. Do we give bad advice? Sometimes. I know I have. We try really hard not to. There are however people on here who are or have been kubota techs. And others that have enough experience that they could be. This is a great place to learn about your tractor and soon you will be sharing your experience with others. Man thats a lot of typing.:D:D Dusty

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Hey Orange. You have asked it twice and no one has responded. Some of your hydraulic fittings may be compression fittings. The male end has a taper after the threads.On these you don't need sealer. Any that don't have the taper after the threads need tape or liquid sealer. I have better luck with tape , but my son uses either.:D:D Dusty

ETRon

Equipment
M6040
Aug 4, 2010
Tellico Plains, TN
OrangeFox,
I've used both teflon tape and the pipe paste over the years. I think the paste is a little easier to use but long as the joint doesn't leak is all that matters.
As you use the loader the air, along with the fluid is purged/returned back to the trans reservoir. Most trannys are vented to the atmosphere so air pressure is balanced that way.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
OrangeFox, Ditto on what Dusty and ETRon said. There are a few Kubota Techs that participate, but most of us are tractor owners, some new, some from way back. Most us offer advice based on our own experiences and try like hell to never give bad advice. I don't resond to the inquiries that I don't have a good idea what is going on. As for me on sealing the hose ends, as Dusty said, if it is tapered or flaired, no sealer is needed. On pipe threads, a sealer, either tape or paste is needed. I've had good success with both.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
I'm not a trained heavy equipment mechanic, but I changed/replaced all manner of hydraulics on everything ranging from law tractors to heavy equipment. I have never had to bleed any of them and I've never read anything which suggest you have to.

Brakes are different - a small amount of air can mean a fair bit of sponginess and poor performance. As to where the air goes, most hydraulic systems have large cylinder volumes relative to the volume of the pipes. Plus, they operate under high pressure. So a couple cylces forces the air out. It may even bubble in the flud and flow out. Any air remaining gets the snot compressed out of it when you load.

jbrown4504

Equipment
bx2200
Sep 6, 2013
utica mi
I have a BX2200. I have taken the loader on/off several times. The issue I have is that when I relieve the pressure on the hydraulic lines the bucket rolls down too far making it very difficult to get the loader back on. My question is do you have to relieve all of the pressure until nothing else moves or can you just wiggle the stick in all directions briefly.