best implement for road maintenance

logan

Equipment
Kubota B7800 w?fel
Jan 7, 2010
US
what would be the best attachment to maintain 1 mile of gravel rd ?

for a Kubota B7800 30hp

Last edited:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Gravel roads around here are maintained with road graders (scrapers). They are equipped with scrapers that can be set at various angles - but not box scrapers. They do have a long wheel base that helps it act like a field leveler.

That would seem to indicate that a scraper that can be set at an angle would be the preferred choice. Plus, they are not too expensive compared to other equipment. Check Tractor Supply if one is in your area.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I'd purchase a Harley power rake if I had a few extra thousand laying around. You should be able to handle a 6ft power rake just fine on the B7800. I've rented a 5ft rake and worked like a champ behind my B6100. I believe a power rake coast around 5 to 6 thousand dollars new, but renting one would be the best option. Go to YouTube.com and watch a video on a power rake.

rpraymond

Equipment
L3430HSTC w/front mounted blower, B2320, tiller, bh, chipper & grading scraper
Jan 10, 2010
Madison Co. NY
This past spring I purchased a LandPride grading scraper to use with the B2320 to maintain my gravel driveway. So far I've been impressed with the results. It's easy to set-up for different uses and conditions.

joekimtkd

Equipment
B7510DT, 4' Snow blower, 4' Loader, 6' Blade, 6' 3PH Finish mower, 6' box blade,
Aug 16, 2009
Durham Ontario Canada
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxuEDGSGOZA&NR=1

Check this video.

I was using loader bucket to repairing gravel parking lot. but it wasn't the best. I had 3ph scraper blade too. but already hardened gravel didn't do any good.

Once I saw this video, I went out and bought 6' Box blade myself.:D
I haven't used it yet though. I'm going to wait till Spring...:rolleyes:

Good luck.

Joe.

rpraymond

Equipment
L3430HSTC w/front mounted blower, B2320, tiller, bh, chipper & grading scraper
Jan 10, 2010
Madison Co. NY
logan,
It's a GS1548. 48" wide and about 440lbs. with the optional shanks.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Logan,

I tried using a box blade to maintain my gravel driveway and could not get it smooth enough. I always seemed to end up with a lot of "washboarding". I broke down and bought a "grading scraper". It is similar to a box blade but has 2 angled cutting blades that stick about 1 or 2 inches below the outside beams. The back is open and allows excess gravel/dirt to spill out the back. The outside beams that the implement rides on is 4 ft. long and thus you do not get the washboarding effect as I was getting with the much shorter box blade. I had seen one operate before and knew what it would do. I have also used mine to level dirt and had good success. I don't know of a "you-tube" video, but here is a URL showing what it looks like:

http://www.everythingattachments.com/tractor-utility-grader-s/94.htm

They have several names: utility grader, dura-grader, grade master, box blade double edge grader, road boss, bionic blayde, and others. I pull mine with a 35 hp L35. It is 6 ft. wide, about 500 lbs, and paid about $650 for it. I have to use 4wd and at times, it is all the L35 wants. It also seems that the faster you go, the better job it does. Good Luck!

Pat Vaught
Program Manager, LANM Airport Development Office
817-222-5638, FAX: -5988

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
Dealer must have had a price increase. The same grader you paid about $650.00 for is now $1020.00. Plus shipping, if over 1000 miles from their factory.

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Randyj,

I did get mine for a good price. It helped to live near a large metropolitan area (DFW) with lots of equipment dealers, paid cash and picked it up myself.

Marty394

Equipment
L3010 w/ Cab, RCR 1560, RB 1584, SMC Loader, KK II 60" Gear Drive Tiller
Feb 28, 2010
Wisconsin
Pat331, I've been thinking about the Landpride GS1572 for my 30 hp. L3010 4wd. Do you feel that 6ft. might be too much for 30hp. ? I'm not opposed to using it with the 4wd engaged. Btw I have the AG tires on it as well.

Bob

pat331

Equipment
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Marty,

My advice is to try out a 6-footer first, if possible. I know with my L35 (35 hp) gets loaded up when the blade is full of gravel. Maybe you could get a 5.5' model. When I bought mine, they only came in even foot lengths. They were available in 7 & 8 ft. lenghts too. I have the R-3 tires on mine, not the ag lug type, but more of the industrial type. In order to get adequate traction, I put a load of gravel in my FEL bucket. Without the extra weight, it wouldn't work near as well. Please let us know what you decide and how it turns out.