Best FEL attachment for digging

Martin092009

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 17, 2017
Georgetown, KY
I just recently started playing around with my new MX5800. I had a M5660SUHD and it was difficult to dig with just the bucket so now I'm looking for either a tooth bar or manure forks to use with my mx5800. I remember my dad always using manure forks for digging with our Skid steer growing when I was growing up. Any suggestions or feedback on what has worked best for you??

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might look into the Parana (sp) bar for your bucket,, some guys in here swear by them

jpf

Feb 26, 2016
butler, ga USA
I just got the piranha bar a week ago and will say I am happy with it.
I can get up close to brush, sink the bar under the roots and curl and lift them right out of the ground, couldn't do that with just the bucket.
haven't had it long enough to work it much but so far I would say YES to the piranha bar!

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I just got the piranha bar a week ago and will say I am happy with it.
I can get up close to brush, sink the bar under the roots and curl and lift them right out of the ground, couldn't do that with just the bucket.
haven't had it long enough to work it much but so far I would say YES to the piranha bar!

The Piranha is great for removing saplings and small trees too. Lift the bucket a foot or two off the ground, push the teeth into the side of the small tree, and lift( curl) It pulls them right out of the ground.

Ryansweatt2004

Equipment
2017 kubota L3901HST
Jul 2, 2015
West gardiner maine, USA
I just recently started playing around with my new MX5800. I had a M5660SUHD and it was difficult to dig with just the bucket so now I'm looking for either a tooth bar or manure forks to use with my mx5800. I remember my dad always using manure forks for digging with our Skid steer growing when I was growing up. Any suggestions or feedback on what has worked best for you??
Not to get too far off topic but I'm actually looking into both of these tractors as possible upgrades. Any feedback on the pros and cons of either and how they compared? Also as far as digging with an FEL your best bet is definitely a tooth bar or if you have multiple buckets you can always go the rout of bold on or weld on bucket teeth.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I put bolt on backhoe teeth on my bucket. I went with the bolt on kind in case I ever wanted to remove them but never have.

Swampcollie

Equipment
Mx5800, la1065 loader, rcf2772 mower, blade, disc
Aug 19, 2016
Sedalia, mot
I also have an MX5800 and got a piranah for it. It was a tremendous upgrade. Dont know if its the best since its the only one ive had. But its really good

Stomper

Equipment
2017 L2501. Landpride Mower. Farm King Snow Blower. DIY Root Bucket grapple.
Jun 30, 2017
Northern Canada
Is there a small type bucket similar to a back hoe bucket that can be used for digging. I know on my loader the curl down function seems to go quite far.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
Bolt on tooth bar for me. Two bolts and its off or on. The teeth makes quite a bit of difference on digging and are nice as a back rake when needed. I use the the back bottom corner edge of the bucket to smooth things up when the teeth are on.

Martin092009

Equipment
MX5800
Jun 17, 2017
Georgetown, KY
Not to get too far off topic but I'm actually looking into both of these tractors as possible upgrades. Any feedback on the pros and cons of either and how they compared? Also as far as digging with an FEL your best bet is definitely a tooth bar or if you have multiple buckets you can always go the rout of bold on or weld on bucket teeth.
I only have 4 hours on the 5800 but I'm already glad I made the change. I have a BH on order so I'm excited to start using it. I also switched tires...I had ag tires on the 5660 and I got industrial tires on the 5800. I love the hst on the 5800...it's so nice for hooking up implements and loader work. I really liked the constant RPM function on the 5660. The 5660 looks and feels like a heavy duty farm tractor and the 5800 feels like a heavy duty utility tractor. There is a pretty clear difference but I'm not sure how much of that is the tires that make it sit lower.
I'm not sure if any of that is helpful. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

tor

Jun 25, 2009
SC
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just be aware that when you back-drag with the Piranha, you'll need to use a shallow bucket angle. If not you will get deep ummm tooth marks in your back-drag. I sometimes use the back edge of the bucket too for dragging.

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Is there a small type bucket similar to a back hoe bucket that can be used for digging. I know on my loader the curl down function seems to go quite far.
Take a look at a stump bucket, you could trench a few feet with it.