Best All Around Tractor Grease

Oct 24, 2019
IN
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what should be my go-to grease. I have an electric grease gun and I'd like to just buy one thing that'll work well on everything. Besides load points on loader and backhoe, I also have to grease things with spinning parts like a mower deck and a front broom. Many of my gas yard tools also have grease points (wood chipper, aerator, etc..).

The selection at Menards seems pretty slim, so I'll probably end up ordering a case of something. I'm probably not too price sensitive - I just want good. If there is something that can work on everything so I don't have to think about it for the next few years, that would be great.

Edit: my dealer had told me to find "high temperature, high pressure", but I've seen both of those designations.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019
IN
So " NGL#2" just refers to the thickness, right? #2 being 'nomal'? That seems to be almost everything sold in a tube.

3% moly is the one specific thing that someone has mentioned so far. It still isn't clear to me if it is really worth have two types of grease (load points, high-speed points).

Reactions: 1 users

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I agree chimpy, I was doing the two grease thing for a while, load points vs speed. I gave up and just went full red-n-tacky.

Reactions: 1 user

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
I don't know how anything as sticky as red and tacky can be a lubricant too. But, it is, and it stays put, especially in places you don't want it. Doesn't drip, that's for sure.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
So " NGL#2" just refers to the thickness, right? #2 being 'nomal'? That seems to be almost everything sold in a tube.

3% moly is the one specific thing that someone has mentioned so far. It still isn't clear to me if it is really worth have two types of grease (load points, high-speed points).
I use two different greases, one for high-speed bearings and u-joints, another for low speed, high load. Moly is good for loads but bad for high-speed bearings.

Attachments

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Like many others I have been down this same road, trying to get to "one grease for all" (FEL, Zero Turn blade spindles, and Gen'l Lube).

I contacted two companies, and here is their recommendation(s) for "one for all":

Texas Refinery (TRC Ft. Worth) - Paragon 3000

Schaeffer Co - Schaeffer's 219 NLGI#2 SynForce Green Grease

However I'm not ready to subscribe that "one for all" is the best solution for me....so I've narrowed it down to two. Cat Ultra 5 Moly (FEL), and Sta-Lube Sta-Plex Extreme Pressure Red Grease (spindles, and gen'l lube)

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I use High-Performance Polyurea Multi-Purpose Grease. The grease debate is one that goes on and on, with the primary message being, use whatever grease you decided on regularly.

One thing I just noticed, the price per tube has went up again.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Used Red & Tacky for years and really liked it, easy to find and @ $5.00 a tube good price.

Switched to Amsoil heavy duty with 3% moly 2 years ago, best grease I have used. Stays in place well and when I go to grease requires fewer pumps to see grease ooze out so I know it is staying where I put it.

A local outdoor show I attend each year has an Amsoil rep there. I call him in advance to place my order and pick it up while I'm there. The cost is more at around $9.00 a tube but I now use less grease and less time greasing so too me it is a win win.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Using ONE grease for ALL things... is like using ONE OIL for all things. Would you use 3-in-One oil in your engine? Would you use 80W90 gear oil in your engine? Would you use Gear oil in your wrist-watch or spinning-reel? Of course not.

Use what your mfr’ recommends. Kubota recommends a General Purpose NLGI#2 grease for tie rods, wheel bearings, jack-screws, etc etc... and a “Moly” grease for pins and front end loader grease points. (But Moly is not good for wheel bearings, for example, because it is for sliding, low-speed pins and bushings/bearings and may not allow sufficient friction to cause roller-bearings to rotate, which can result in scored and flattened rollers.)

Lucas Red N Tacky is an excellent “General Purpose” grease. So is Mobil, Shell, Pennzoil and many others. But it is not a “Moly” grease, so will not lubricate your loader properly.

Do not mix different types of grease. The simplest solution is to use a General Purpose Lithium based grease rated NLGI #2... plus a good quality “Moly” grease from a major brand for your loader.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Using ONE grease for ALL things... is like using ONE OIL for all things. Would you use 3-in-One oil in your engine? Would you use 80W90 gear oil in your engine? Would you use Gear oil in your wrist-watch or spinning-reel? Of course not.

Use what your mfr’ recommends. Kubota recommends a General Purpose NLGI#2 grease for tie rods, wheel bearings, jack-screws, etc etc... and a “Moly” grease for pins and front end loader grease points. (But Moly is not good for wheel bearings, for example, because it is for sliding, low-speed pins and bushings/bearings and may not allow sufficient friction to cause roller-bearings to rotate, which can result in scored and flattened rollers.)

Lucas Red N Tacky is an excellent “General Purpose” grease. So is Mobil, Shell, Pennzoil and many others. But it is not a “Moly” grease, so will not lubricate your loader properly.

Do not mix different types of grease. The simplest solution is to use a General Purpose Lithium based grease rated NLGI #2... plus a good quality “Moly” grease from a major brand for your loader.

Hope this helps.
What is interesting my loader manual on page 7 states to use

LUBRICATION
Lubricate all grease fittings with SAE multipurpose
grease. (Has a diagram showing all the loader grease points).

Than on page 29

LUBRICATION
1. Lubricate all grease fittings every 10 hours of
operation. Also, lubricate joints of control lever linkage
every 10 hours. High quality grease designating
"extreme pressure" and containing Molybdenum
disulfide is recommended. This grease may specify
"Moly EP" on its label.

angrymatt

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, SCR1860, BX42 Chipper, Grade Scraper, PL1242 Forks, 60" Pusher
Sep 4, 2020
NH
I swapped to Lube Shuttle and have been really impressed so far. I use MoS2 for bushing stuff like the loader and G200 EP for bearings in the mower and chipper. The tubes thread into the grease gun and it never loses its prime. Just be warned the MoS2 has graphite in it so it can get messy if you get it everywhere.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out what should be my go-to grease. I have an electric grease gun and I'd like to just buy one thing that'll work well on everything. Besides load points on loader and backhoe, I also have to grease things with spinning parts like a mower deck and a front broom. Many of my gas yard tools also have grease points (wood chipper, aerator, etc..).

The selection at Menards seems pretty slim, so I'll probably end up ordering a case of something. I'm probably not too price sensitive - I just want good. If there is something that can work on everything so I don't have to think about it for the next few years, that would be great.

Edit: my dealer had told me to find "high temperature, high pressure", but I've seen both of those designations.
I bought a case of lucas x-tra heavy duty grease for my B2650 after getting a few tubes to try it out after I bought the tractor new. Found the best price online shipped through Amazon..ca a 10 pack is $93 shipped plus taxes.
Regularly greasing with it and after 550 hours and 3 1/2 years of often heavy work everything feels like new still. Any bearings like on the front mount blower subframe or pto shafts and mounted implements, loader and backhoe pins, still quiet and smooth. I managed to squeeze a loader greasing in when it was -25C for the daytime high, actually not too bad to push into those pivot pin zerks at that temperature. And I've yet to see it drop or drip in high heat conditions. It really sticks around! And just try to wash it off. It laughs at soapy water jets.
I think The Lucas X-Tra Heavy Duty is the best generally available. Costs quite a bit more than others that "meet the spec" but it really does seem to go a long way and perform very well.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Has anyone here used schaffers #274 as a one size fits all? Pins, sleeve bearings, trailer wheel bearings?

Schaffer's says it's fine, but I keep reading, possibly old info, that moly is not to be used in bearings. I want to avoid double electric grease guns :LOL:

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I use this AMSOIL on everything from my loader to drivelines. I even contacted the tech department to make sure it would work in the bearings on my new baler and they said it was fine for that application as well. I've been using it for years and have never had a lubricant related failure. It has 5% moly and comes in 15oz tubes to where most others are 14oz so more bang for your buck. Because this grease stays where you put it you'll use less than half of what others require.