Beginner Questions for Using Box Blade

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501DT, MX4700,RTV400ci,Z411KW
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
I hate to start a new thread for box blade tips given there's already an active one, but I felt my questions were probably too basic to add in the other one.

I picked up a used Land Pride 5ft BB today with intentions on repairing some potholes in my gravel driveway. First question isn't so much a BB one so much as a 3pt question. A guy told me when using the BB to make sure my 3pt was in float. I've always kind of operated under the idea that the 3pt was always in "float" and there is no down pressure. The tractor I'm using is an L2501, so the only down pressure is the weight of the implement, isn't that right? So if I drop the 3pt to the lowest position it will pretty much ride the contour of the driveway? That's the impression I had, but the more I got to thinking about it the more I questioned what I thought I knew.

My second question is this: I've never used a box blade before. From what I've read and the videos I've watched I'm thinking I need to just set the rippers a few inches below the blade, make several passes to loosen the top layer, especially around the potholes, and then smooth it. Does that sound right? Anyone got any alternate advice or tips? My drive way is about 35 years old and has been pretty well maintained most of those years. I was assuming there'd be several layers of packed gravel I'd be able to bring to the surface, but I was a little surprised today when I got the BB home and played with it for just a few minutes that when I ran the rippers over it, it seemed like I began seeing chert immediately under the gravel. :confused:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
You are correct on all points!

One other thing to consider - the top link, the shorter it is, the more bite you will have, the longer - the less - that spot the bed of the BB lays parallel to the road surface is where you want to be at the end.

Once you have the top surface "dug" up - raise the rippers and move what you want to where you want, remember the box and push gravel too.;)

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
You are correct on all points!

One other thing to consider - the top link, the shorter it is, the more bite you will have, the longer - the less - that spot the bed of the BB lays parallel to the road surface is where you want to be at the end.

Once you have the top surface "dug" up - raise the rippers and move what you want to where you want, remember the box and push gravel too.;)
Ok great, thank you for your quick reply! I feel a little more reassured about tackling the job now, I'll take it slow and hopefully it'll turn out right.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
While your understanding is correct, you may not want to have it all the way lowered when using the plow type implements like the rippers on the box blade.

The rippers will tend to pull deeper into the dirt as you go forward due to their shape. If the implement can go down you may be ripping deeper than needed or intended. If the implement is held up by the tractor’s 3PH it will only penetrate a few inches from the surface which may be better for you (or not)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjrwood

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 21, 2017
Wellington, AL USA
While your understanding is correct, you may not want to have it all the way lowered when using the plow type implements like the rippers on the box blade.

The rippers will tend to pull deeper into the dirt as you go forward due to their shape. If the implement can go down you may be ripping deeper than needed or intended. If the implement is held up by the tractor’s 3PH it will only penetrate a few inches from the surface which may be better for you (or not)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok thanks, I'll be sure to keep the rippers near the top while I'm moving. That's one of the things I was concerned about, going too deep. Especially after I'd expected to see compacted gravel several inches deep but seemed to run into chert in spots under the top layer.