Beefin' up the L245DT (1101 engine) ... 1105-T complete swap possible ?

MD88

Equipment
L245DT
Nov 27, 2017
Val d'Or, Quebec, Canada
Hi all,

I just wanted to give a little more guts to my L245DT, little extra HP just so it supports the power needed for the use of the snowblower in winter and some low end torque as well.

Since the 1101 engine has very high compression ratio, and low compression pistons not availlable, adding a turbo kit would be too much of a pain, right ?

Here is the question: do you reckon 1105-T swap is a good option ?
Is there a clutch uprade needed to hold the extra hp or the original should do ?
Will the tranny hold the extra 7 hp ?

DH1105-T engine is used mainly in the Toro Reelmaster fairway mower.

Cheers !

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
If I was still a young fella, I'd chuck it in and give it a go and put up with what breaks!

But I'm not, so a 25% increase is something to consider across the whole machine.
One thing to note, whilst the snowblower won't rotate any faster, adding too much load by driving quicker into the snow could cause damage/breakages to the blower, depending on it's design, whether you can actually overload it or not.
But because the speed of the blower is not increased, it can't clear or remove more snow than it's designed to get out the chute, so I doubt there would be any real improvement. If you then went to a bigger blower, it's possible you may remove more snow, depending if the drive train to the blower can handle the extra load.

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I don't see the installation of the turbo being any more difficult with the high compression, just not worthwhile as you won't be able to run much boost. Probably what you meant; I'm just clarifying.

The turbo'ed engine will probably have a little less torque at min rpm, since the compression ratio is lower and the turbo hasn't spooled up enough to get much boost. I wouldn't expect to see an increase in torque until the lower mid range rpm. Assuming that they're both roughly the same displacement.

Can't really help you on the drivetrain. If I'm not mistaken, it shares some drivetrain components from the smaller L1501, so you might be towards the upper limit of what it's good for.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
I run 22:1 compression and 2 turbos on my old chevy 6.5L diesel. I sustain 5 to 8 psi of boost for hours at a time then occasionally hit about 15psi.
My secret is I use an intercooler and over sized turbos to keep the exhaust drive pressure down.
I'm putting a rhb31 tutbo and intercooler my L185DT.
I have to fab every part between the engine and turbo as there are no kits.