Beef with Kubota - The nut that drove me nuts

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
I'm posting this in the hopes that it saves someone else some of the trouble I've experienced trying to remove the retaining nut from the front of my V1702 engine. I needed to remove the v-belt pulley and replace the front seal which was leaking crankcase oil. The nut is 46mm, and in my case, requires a deep socket to allow for the extended (~2.5") pto shaft in front of the nut. A 1&13/16" socket is equivalent. My first task was to find a store that carried such a beast. I found one - a 6-pt impact socket in 1&13/16" ($40+). Problem was, there's a flange on the pulley surrounding the nut and the socket wall was too thick to fit between. I couldn't get it over the nut w/out binding. My next try was a combination wrench in 1&13/16" ($30+) hoping that the offset slant of the box end would allow for overcoming the flange. This too was futile as the angle was not enough and the thickness of the box end was still too much to fit between the nut and flange. My only resolve was to purchase two standard depth, 12- pt (thinner wall than 6-pt) 46mm sockets ($13+/ea) from Northern Tool & Equipment (kudos to you guys), have a friend cut off the drive end of one socket w/ a lathe, and weld what was left to the other socket to create a special purpose, deep 46mm socket specifically for removal of my V1702 retaining nut. I believe I remember a post from back in 2009 on this forum that addressed a custom-made socket in lieu of a Kubota special tool for removal of this nut.

Does anyone know of another way to loosen this retaining nut? After replacing the seal, can I get enough resistance to torque it back on sufficiently w/out an impact wrench? :confused:

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Maybe a PM to Service Dept Vic is in order, or maybe a couple of beers with one of the guys at the local dealership;)

Last edited:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I'm posting this in the hopes that it saves someone else some of the trouble I've experienced trying to remove the retaining nut from the front of my V1702 engine. I needed to remove the v-belt pulley and replace the front seal which was leaking crankcase oil. The nut is 46mm, and in my case, requires a deep socket to allow for the extended (~2.5") pto shaft in front of the nut. A 1&13/16" socket is equivalent. My first task was to find a store that carried such a beast. I found one - a 6-pt impact socket in 1&13/16" ($40+). Problem was, there's a flange on the pulley surrounding the nut and the socket wall was too thick to fit between. I couldn't get it over the nut w/out binding. My next try was a combination wrench in 1&13/16" ($30+) hoping that the offset slant of the box end would allow for overcoming the flange. This too was futile as the angle was not enough and the thickness of the box end was still too much to fit between the nut and flange. My only resolve was to purchase two standard depth, 12- pt (thinner wall than 6-pt) 46mm sockets ($13+/ea) from Northern Tool & Equipment (kudos to you guys), have a friend cut off the drive end of one socket w/ a lathe, and weld what was left to the other socket to create a special purpose, deep 46mm socket specifically for removal of my V1702 retaining nut. I believe I remember a post from back in 2009 on this forum that addressed a custom-made socket in lieu of a Kubota special tool for removal of this nut.

Does anyone know of another way to loosen this retaining nut? After replacing the seal, can I get enough resistance to torque it back on sufficiently w/out an impact wrench? :confused:

I just locked the front pto shaft with a 3' pipe wrench, got on the nut with an 1 7/8 wrench to loosen and tighten the nut. No one here had an 1 13/16th wrench in stock and would have been two weeks for a special order. Didn't have any issues, and no burrs on the pto shaft.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I have been in a situation that was much like that .....I had to grind the outside of the socket to make it fit the hole to get to the nut/bolt.
Then I had to "tap-a-torque to get it tight....wasnt real thrilled at the process, but it did work. A quick rap with a hammer on the end of the ratchet was the only way I could do it shy of a impact hammer.:)

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Yeah, I would've had the friend with the lathe turn down the thicker socket just enough to let it fit...

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I need a socket like that too, found them at Tractor Supply, like 10 bucks....they had every size you could think of ! :)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/jobsmartreg;-3-4-in-drive-1-13-16-in-socket-103895299--1

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
I'm reluctant to grind down a $40 inpact socket that I could return for refund and instead purchase two, 12-pt, thinner-walled, CHEAPER ($13/ea) 46mm sockets and have then cut and welded for free. I guess another option would be to cut the standard depth 46mm socket in half, then weld each half to either end of a 3" piece of pipe stock. This would provide a 'deep' socket and alleviate having to buy a 2nd one.

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
Sometimes the best tools are those you make yourself.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I ran into the exact same thing on my D1902, I used a chisel to take it off and put it back on, Just use the point on the face of the nut, doesn't hurt the nut.
It's holding a pulley, not anything with any great torque, and it's keyed, so it doesn't need to be super tight.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Here is an 1 1/2" deep socket I turned down for EZGO wheel bearing nuts when I was building lifted golf carts.

Attachments

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Thx Hokie,

Only problem is, the socket at TS is still standard depth, not deep; hence my dilemma.

gotcha - I knew it was too simple of a thought !!!!! :)

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
Wolfman,
Thanks for that suggestion. May have to go that route. Update....one of my friends made a 1-13/16" deep socket today at work by pressing a 1-13/16" nut into a piece of pipe stock. If it's not on too awefully tight, maybe this will do the trick if the pipe doesn't collapse under the pressure.
Stay tuned.............................

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
Had to grind down a socket for the spark plug on the RTV400. I believe it was 13/16. Nothing else would fit so to the angle grinder it went. Worked great.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Yes, cutting a socket and welding a a pipe between the cut ends would be my option. Pull starter and block flywheel to torque nut. 100 lbs on a 1 foot bar equals 100 foot pounds. I do the math from there.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
On My L 185, It had a locking tab that had to be bent down, before nut could be removed. Then I just put a big honking pair of channel locks on the crank shaft splines, and a adjustable wrench on the pulley nut, came off no problems...

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
Mine doesn't have the locking washer. The flange on the pulley is keeping me from putting pliers or a wrench on it, so I'm confined to using a socket, or possibly a chisel/punch and hammer as Wolfman suggested. Putting the tractor in gear and locking the brake didn't seem to be enough so I'll use Tooljunkie's recommendation to block the flywheel.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Why don't we start a loan a tool link for members?

People post up their custom made tools available for loan. USPS has cheap flat rate shipping for these heavy tools (usually $5-10).

The borrower would pay for a deposit on the tool via paypal or check, and then get it refunded when they return it, minus a rental fee if the loaner had required.

Simple, cheap and easy.

I know I'd pay the $5 for shipping plus a rental cost for the above socket you guys mention to avoid making one myself. Plus it would save me money in the long run...