Beat up Kubotas.

Tractorkid1

Oct 29, 2011
Petersburg , PA
I have looked at several Kubotas and other brands of Japanese tractors. How is it that all of them look like they have been thrown over a cliff? All of the sheet metal and fenders look like that they have been through a smash up derby. When I see this , it makes me wonder how the mechanicals of the tractor have been cared for. Am I the only one who sees this or are the rest of you noticing this as well. Thanks.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
They have been sold because of age, to bring the economy in Japan a little bit up. They are tractors of small farmers. And if you have to buy every few years a new one, as the law say's, why should you invest in maintainance? As long it is doing it's job, no problem. So a lot of tractors get in big yards togeather and waiting for their shipment. You can find those pictures in the web. And some of them are really beaten up... :(

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Where have you been seatching for used Kubota tractors? Most used one's I've seen on the web are fairly decent tractors, might need some fresh paint but all in all no where near what you describe!

Check out Tractor House for some nice Kubota tractors

www.tractorhouse.com

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
Welcome to orangetractortalks! This is a terrific site, with some very friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful people.

I think, possibly, some people have varying tastes in what is acceptable or what is not. I don't own a single tractor (out of 12 plus some lawn/garden stuff) that has nice paint, seat, or body panels. They have all been honestly worked; I use them for that myself. Work means sometimes I have to lay a chainsaw, toolbox, or parts on the hood of the tractor. Sometimes tree limbs fall onto it, or dirt from a bucket. I haven't had covered storage for very long; not all of my stuff will fit under it anyway.

Some of the tractors are leftovers from my family's earlier farming days on the desert of Arizona. Equipment there gets left out; it has to. The sun and dust devastate the paint. It never really rains. Tires are checked and faded in a few months, irrespective of whatever treatment they're given.

The mechanical service components are maintained with zeal, though. All of the fluid changes get logged in a book I keep, as well as online. Hour meter, date, and fluid type (as applicable) are written on filters when they're changed.

Many people have similar circumstances or thoughts as I do, and are simply using their machines in conditions that don't do anything for the cosmetic factors of their machines. Additionally, most of the cheaper compact diesel tractors are 25-35 years old. Look at it this way: when did you last see a good looking 1979 Toyota/Nissan/Datsun pickup truck? Or any other car from that time period? There are some out there, and some people restore them to nice condition. But the guys who bought a work truck in 1983 used it to work, and it will usually show.

I'm not saying to not worry about it, or care. But if you were looking for an early to mid-80s car, what would you expect to find? Especially at the more budget end of the scale?

There also isn't that much difference between an old tractor and a new tractor in terms of what it can do. There are certainly refinements as far as user-friendliness (HST, cup holders, drooped hoods) but in terms of reliable equipment to do basic "tractor stuff" around a small lot, a 30 year old Kubota/Iseki/Yanmar/Mitsubishi/Hinomoto (or their domestic analogues) does everything just fine, and hasn't lost that much in value. As a result, prices for the older stuff tends to stay higher than would be anticipated, since its usefulness hasn't declined.

What are you looking for? Anything specific in mind? We love to help spend other people's money! :D

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
When I began to look last year in my area of Virginia, I found a lot of what you are talking about. The dealers had no older used machines and the ones I saw listed locally were either over priced (in my opinion), rode hard and put a way wet or were in need of a lot of mechanical work. It also seems that a lot of people here leave their tractors out year round, maybe because of the milder weather, I don't know. I grew up on a farm in NW Missouri and we always kept our equipment in out of the weather. Another point our local dealer told me is that many people are keeping their tractors longer. To make a long story short, I purchased one on Craigslist and ended up going 600 miles (one way) to get the tractor and attachments I wanted after looking for 2 months. Eric is right, keep watching the web and be willing to travel a ways to get what you want, after a close inspection. I don't think I would personally be willing to make a web purchase without an agreement of inpection before payment.

Now, having said this, I did find one for my son just 5 miles down the road from me. After a friend told me about it, I approached the person about selling it. He told me it hadn't run in 3 years and was stuck in 4WD. The price was right and the repairs were straight forward. So you never know what can come along!!

Good luck,

John

Last edited:

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
I have looked at several Kubotas and other brands of Japanese tractors. How is it that all of them look like they have been thrown over a cliff?
the imports look like this for a reason; it's an agricultural tool. Here in north America, people are spending week-ends waxing tractors, parking them in garage, sleeping next to it. go back 20 years and your see tractors left in the fields and outside ALL THE TIME.

In the end, it's not really different from a shovel or a hammer. Also, the tractors were used by employees for large agricultural corporations owners of rice fields, the drivers don't give a shiat about it as if it's broken, they will pick another one the next day.

another thing, the smaller tractors here are used by municipal/government employees as the smaller size is a better fit for smaller jobs. Multiple (unionized) employees + Mechanized equipment = bad results

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
When I began to look last year in my area of Virginia, I found a lot of what you are talking about. The dealers had no older used machines and the ones I saw listed locally were either over priced (in my opinion), rode hard and put a way wet or were in need of a lot of mechanical work. It also seems that a lot of people here leave their tractors out year round, maybe because of the milder weather, I don't know. I grew up on a farm in NW Missouri and we always kept our equipment in out of the weather. Another point our local dealer told me is that many people are keeping their tractors longer. To make a long story short, I purchased one on Craigslist and ended up going 600 miles (one way) to get the tractor and attachments I wanted after looking for 2 months. Eric is right, keep watching the web and be willing to travel a ways to get what you want, after a close inspection. I don't think I would personally be willing to make a web purchase without an agreement of inpection before payment.

Now, having said this, I did find one for my son just 5 miles down the road from me. After a friend told me about it, I approached the person about selling it. He told me it hadn't run in 3 years and was stuck in 4WD. The price was right and the repairs were straight forward. So you never know what can come along!!

Good luck,

John
x2. A tractor, while it is a tool, is worth caring for; I certainly look at both the mechanical condition and the asthetic condition. While I see where 284 international is coming from, the same holds true that some people don't take care of the outside or the inside of the tractor. Around here, I don't see too many people who have their equipment outside all of the time. So, my normal assumption is that if it is beat up, someone didn't take care of their equipment.
But, like 300zx said, the deals are out there. I happened upon the B7100 that I have by finding an ad in the local bulletinboard paper, and being the first caller. The tractor was a one owner, who had just passed away, and her daughter was selling it. The daughter had a Kubota of her own, so she knew what she was talking about, andhow the tractor had been cared for- her parents had lived right across the street from her. She wouldn't haggle on the price, but it was very low (in my opinion), so I didn't try too hard. I bought an early 90's B7100 with 643 hours, 4wd, with a real nice Woods RM59 mower, for $3000. The daughter/owner was very nice and approachable, so if I have future questions, I have no qualms about going and asking. Since then, after transforming from a Wheelhorse watcher to a Kubota watcher, I have seen other deals in my area that were well worth looking at. With patience, the tractor will come along.
There have been recent posts on here about buying a tractor from a distance, and getting into problems- I know that it is difficult to see everything when you are looking at a tractor, but the more due dilligence that you can do beforehand, like asking detailed questions and getting a feel for whether the seller knows the tractor well, and knows what they are talking about, will save you fuel, money, and time. You may have to travel to find what you want, which can be a fun adventure. But, make the trip worth it.

300zx- we came down (I live south of Waynesboro, close to Wintergreen) to your neck of the woods on Saturday. Our daughter goes to Liberty, and we came to watch the football game.
Mark

Last edited:

smog

Equipment
B7200HST, diy 3pt forks, diy 3pt blade, 3pt mower, diy hyd rotary broom
Oct 23, 2011
Montreal
www.northernliftgates.com
x2. A tractor, while it is a tool, is worth caring for; I certainly look at both the mechanical condition and the aesthetic condition. While I see where 284 international is coming from, the same holds true that some people don't take care of the outside or the inside of the tractor. Around here, I don't see too many people who have their equipment outside all of the time.
I drove 4 hours from Montreal to Vermont get my B7200HST from Ed Hill (from this forum), yes I keep mine inside as I don't like to let it rust but the paint is faded, the hood have dings from previous owners and I smashed the front plastic radiator guard during an operational mistake. I didn't cry as it's pure cosmetic and will still mow the lawn and blow the snow.

But yes, I change the oils and keep the mechanical components in top shape even if it's not the cleanest tractor around.

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
Welcome to OTT TractorKid1

My first Kubota was kinda beat up. I have seen many that have been used well but were in rough enviornments. Cosmetics were beat up but that was from mishaps. After the job was done the efforts went on to the next job and never fixed the cosmetics but kept the machine going well.

It takes all kinds. I tend to think like you though. If they didn't take care of the outside the inside must be just as bad, but that is not always the case.

Of course since I think that way I operate that way so my stuff is like new inside and out. If not then I fix it to be that way. :D:D

I bought my current L175 as a rollover. It sat for more than 15 years in a barn after getting rolled off a mountain side in Tenn. All the sheet metal was damaged and it looked terrible. The price was good and it ran so I bought it and restored it. I'm loving my orange tractor looking like new.

Good luck on your search. :)

Last edited:

284 International

Equipment
B6000 with FEL, assorted Yanmar machines
Mar 25, 2011
California, USA
I should have been more careful to clarify what I meant. My stuff looks really beat up, and cosmetically it is. However, with maintenance records and obvious mechanical upkeep, I am much more willing to take a plunge on a beat up looking machine than I otherwise would be. I've bought absolute basket cases as well, but have paid accordingly: barely scrap value. They have required work, but were much, much less costly than nice looking, near-new equipment.

Generally speaking, I think Hodge is right, that a person who cares about cosmetic things will be more likely to keep up with maintenance, but if you're shopping for functionality over appearance, there can be good buys out there in the tractor that has fallen off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I should have been more careful to clarify what I meant. My stuff looks really beat up, and cosmetically it is. However, with maintenance records and obvious mechanical upkeep, I am much more willing to take a plunge on a beat up looking machine than I otherwise would be. I've bought absolute basket cases as well, but have paid accordingly: barely scrap value. They have required work, but were much, much less costly than nice looking, near-new equipment.

Generally speaking, I think Hodge is right, that a person who cares about cosmetic things will be more likely to keep up with maintenance, but if you're shopping for functionality over appearance, there can be good buys out there in the tractor that has fallen off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
And, sometimes the only hot deals out there are the ones that are beat up. If you are mechanically savy, you can tell real quick if a tractor has been worked hard but maintained, or just abused. If you get a great deal on a beat up tractor that runs well, then it may well be worth the money, and the fun of fixing it back up.

gktilton

Equipment
79 B7100 w/ FEL, Deere 261 Finish Mwr, Woods M4 Bush Hg, Potato Plow, Cultivator
May 5, 2010
Hooksett, NH
And to add in one more thought, just cause there pretty doesn't mean they are well cared for. I recently went to get a load of manure from a local horse farm where they giVe it away to gardeners and load it with a green tractor that looks like new however on my last trip the tractor would loose power each time he started into e pile and could not raise the bucket when full without bogging down the engine. I volunteered to take a look and first two things I noticed were 612 hours on the meter and 125 hours written on the end of the oil filter. I assumed the fuel filter was equally neglected and suggest to the owner the filter might be plugged.

He said easy way to tell, pulled the bowl, removed the filter, put the bowl back on the tractor and started it up. It ran fine, but I recommended he not run it that way, he loaded my trailer thanked me for the advice.

My guess he won't put in a filter until an injector plugs. But he hoses off the tractor after every use.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My guess he won't put in a filter until an injector plugs. But he hoses off the tractor after every use.

Yeah that can be a problem. Plenty of people know how to clean them up and make them look pretty and hardly any know how to maintain a tractor! It scares me to think how many people dont know where the dip stick is located under the hood of their OWN cars!

Rust Addict

Equipment
B6000E
Jan 2, 2010
Sidney, Maine, USA
There will always be cheap beat up tractors, everything gets worn out in time. Guys who know the value of a hard earned buck will always buy worn out tractors for bottom dollar prices. While big new tractors are a nice, it always comes down to two things. What can I afford? Got some cash, not going to make payments = used tractor. The less cash available then smaller and more beat up the tractor you'll end being able to go for. Second, what work do I need it for, really NEED it for. (not the same as want). Need to mow, snowblow and till a small garden. Want to have 4wd hydro with a FEL, someday... My antique B6000E is 100 times the neighbors top of the line shiney new Husqvarna even though his stickers say he has twice the HP.

I think the smartest move is buying an old beat up Kubota. Not a newer, cheaply made shiney turd of a machine that is being sold as tractor when its really not more than plastic and pot metal with friggin plastic wheel hubs! Old iron will always be able to be fixed, worked, and fixed again. The new shit is shit, and when it breaks your kicking to the kurb. Be smart, buy that deal of a beat up old Kubota, and be a man, fix what every your able to break on these die hard work horses.

This beers for my Kubota!

Attachments

Last edited:

kubotasan

Aug 12, 2011
Iowa, US
Since I'm a mechanic of anything small engine, I'll put in my .02 cents here. As far as bodies go, it's a great way to get money off of a purchase. When I buy equipment, I'm like everyone else; I want brand new for used car prices. You'll probably never find that deal! When I look at anything, atvs, tractors, go karts, etc, I use the condition of the body against the owner to get a better price. If they had taken better care of it, or fixed things when they got damaged, they could ask top dollar. But they didn't, so they can't. In my opinion beat-up stuff is the best deal. But here are my words of wisdom when buying a used tractor:

No matter how beat up a body on something is, the owner could've been meticulous about the care of the motor. The one thing you don't want to work on is a motor, especially something old that may have parts availability issues. If you think dealer prices are bad, try buying parts for a 30 year old tractor from a salvage yard. Close to dealer prices, with 30 years of abuse, just like the part that went bad on you....with no warranty.

The number one thing I do when buying anything motorized is check the fluids. If it looks like it hasn't been changed in a million years, it probably hasn't: That'll be your indicator on how the previous owner treated their machine. ALSO, the biggest one for me, if the fluids look brand new and fresh, that is a MAJOR red light. Sure, they might be doing you a favor. But in my experience, brand new fluids right before a sale of an old tractor tells me someone is hiding something. Either their lack of maintenance, water/antifreeze/gas was in the oil, etc.

I could go on, but that paragraph above is my number one thing to look for. It could be dragging an axle behind it and I'd probably still buy it, but try to hide behind a fresh fluid change so that I'll buy will have me walking away wondering what is being hidden in that motor.