BearCat chipper

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
I just picked up a used bearcat chipper model 73454 for $500 I think I got a great deal. I had to take it a part to move it no equipment to lift it and noticed the balance wheel is a little rusty but moves nice and blades look great almost new. Damn thing weights a ton even after I took off both the hopper and shoot And It took three guys to slide it up into a pickup truck. I hope I can get it out myself with the bx25 and a chain. I'm going to try and clean it up and touch up the paint a bit can't wait to test it. Anyone have one have any pointers isseus thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Man be extremely careful with a chipper like that. Us guys in the tree profession call something like that design a Chuck N Duck chipper. You chuck the limbs in and dunk and run like hell so crap doesn't fly back and hit you. Many commerical grade chippers like a big Vermeer or Brush Bandit have rubber flaps to keep debris from flying back on you.

Best advise I could give you with a chipper like that, is walk up to it and pass by its side drop the limb in and keep moving forward. Standing behind the hopper you'll probably get nailed with something. BE SURE to walk on the side of the chipper that does not have the discharge chute.

Last edited:

300zx

Equipment
1979 B7100D, 2009 ZG20, 1991 B2150, 1990 B6200
Dec 1, 2010
Forest, VA
You stole that thing for $500.00, nice find! I have a similar Goossen chipper/shredder that works quite well if the blade are sharp, when they get dull it gets harder to feed the limbs.
I agree, 10 hours & they need to be sharpened!

John in VA

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
Took a while to get it out of truck this morning. Got it chained to loader and got it out no problem. Cleaned it up and greased it, put it all back together nice. The blades are super sharp no chips. If it wasn't dirty inside and a little surface rust it don't think it was used much at all. Inside the hopper it has a big piece of rubber cut in slits to help I think on keeping stuff flying back. I can't wait to try it but its pumpkin picking time with my kids so later or tomorrow.

Well never got to try it today hopefully tomorrow. I got a quick hitch from harbor freight so ill try that out to. I'm going to get some Dolly's for the loader/bh so when I switch over to the snowblower I can store them out the way in my garage or container.

Thanks Eric for the advise I will follow it when I try it out I also picked up a hardhat/ear protection/ face shied the type used when using the chain saw.

Last edited:

Gso125

Equipment
Bx25D TLB, snowblower
Sep 16, 2013
USA
It's amazing how I thought I was going to have a ton of wood chips to put around my fence line. I had piles of brush/ small branches up to. 4in and after a few hours I had a loader bucket full. I use 10-20 yards of mulch a year I guess I'm still going to be buying mulch. Haha

Reactions: 1 user