Be Careful

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Several of the guys I work with have tractors and they are often the topic of our conversations. The danger involved with using our equipment is something we talk about based on our own experiences and the stories we hear about the dangers of farming. I have often said the two most dangerous pieces of equipment I have ever used with a tractor are the bush hog (rotary mower) and an auger. This weekend that fact was reaffirmed by a local news story. A man near here was fatally injured while mowing with his tractor. He was knocked from the tractor by a tree branch and then run over by the mower. The horror of that incident can only be imagined. I know that many who use this forum are new to owning a tractor. Others have been around farm equipment their entire life. No matter what your level of experience you can never be too safe. Read the warnings that come with your equipment, use the safety equipment, and if it doesn't feel right, stop and think. We all tend to get careless and take short cuts. I know each of you has heard a similar story. We think it can't happen to us. I'm sure the man killed this weekend thought the same. Please be careful!

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I dont wanna be mean or cruel but damn your an idiot for having a tree limb knock you off the tractor. Something doesnt sound right about that story. In order for the man to get mowed over he'd have to flip over backwards off the tractor, which most today have a roll bar. Then the tractors 3pt hitch would have stopped him or he's bounce off that and land else where. A bush hog sits close behing the tractor and usually has minimal clearance like 4 inches or so. Asumeing the man was using a bush hog and not a finishing mower which is lower to the ground.

Any tree limb large enough to knock a man over is more then big enough to see!

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Man, I feel sorry for that man's family. I could see this happening if it was a pull type bushhog. I know from my own experience (and I've been driving tractors for about 50 years now) it can happen in an instant. I was bushhogging with my L4150 that did not have a roll bar. It had the glide-shift transmission and I was running in 4th or 5th gear with a lot of rpm. I went under some low hanging limbs and I leaned out to the right to avoid getting hit. Before I could do anything, a limb slapped the forward/reverse lever back into reverse. I come within an inch of falling off the tractor and getting run over by the front tire. So, all my OTT friends, please be careful.

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I dont wanna be mean or cruel but damn your an idiot for having a tree limb knock you off the tractor. Something doesnt sound right about that story. In order for the man to get mowed over he'd have to flip over backwards off the tractor, which most today have a roll bar. Then the tractors 3pt hitch would have stopped him or he's bounce off that and land else where. A bush hog sits close behing the tractor and usually has minimal clearance like 4 inches or so. Asumeing the man was using a bush hog and not a finishing mower which is lower to the ground.

Any tree limb large enough to knock a man over is more then big enough to see!
http://www.macon.com/2011/03/22/1496771/former-gray-councilman-killed.html

Ed Hill

Equipment
B3000 with Meteor drag snowblower and mid-mount mower; M7040 with accessories
Jun 22, 2009
Wheelock, VT
This is why they are called accidents, Eric. The unexpected, unlikely, and rare events that can kill are waiting for everyone. All it takes is fatigue, low light conditions, pre-occupation with something else, or some other distraction, and there you are, dead or maimed. If it can happen to a fire chief who is an insurance agent, it can happen to anyone.

Stone

Jan 13, 2011
Deckerville, MI
www.farmdepot.biz
I can relate.

I grew up on a small cash crop farm here in MI and live in a small farming community. While loading grain into a truck from a holding bin, my sister-in-law became tangled in the PTO shaft of the unloading auger. She had brought lunch for my brother and was waiting until the truck was full so they could eat. Keep in mind, we all had been farming our whole life. She made one wrong step and the sweater she was wearing got caught in the PTO shaft. Three people were right there, but were unable to help. That was more than twenty years ago now, but it is something my family will never forget. Now I take every opportunity that I have to remind people that all equipment is dangerous and to always be aware.

After reading about the gentleman that was killed by the rotary cutter, I would wonder if it was the PTO shaft rather than the blades on the cutter.

rednecklimo85

Equipment
78 B6100E(brush hog, boxblade, snowplow) 85 B7200DT(loader and backhoe)
Oct 24, 2009
torrington,ct
we had a local man who was brush hogging a field, hit a rock he couldn't see and got thrown off to the side, he got ran over by a rear tire and then sucked into the brush hog, his body stalled the tractor... but not before scattering body parts every where.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
On a personal note I can attest to tree limbs and ROPS,, and if your not careful you can windup with a broken arm,,, don't ask

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
Reading that report of the accident,it seems as if the unfortunate guy may have been mowing hay so the cutter could have been an offset drum mower which was reported as a "brush hog type" device .With an offset mower it would be quite easy to be run over by it if not belted in.
It was brought up a few posts ago about seat belts which is very much in my mind at the moment.
A month ago my brother in law who runs a forestry operation turned over a 1.5 ton excavator and was trapped under the rops by his foot,he was doing a few minute job and was not wearing a belt.
He has since undergone 3 operations,one lasted over 12hours which involved reconstructive surgery, skin grafts,leeches sucking on it but was unsuccesful.
I visited him in hospital yesterday and his damaged foot has gone along with the lower part of his leg having had it amputated just below his knee.
Dave

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
This is why they are called accidents, Eric. The unexpected, unlikely, and rare events that can kill are waiting for everyone. All it takes is fatigue, low light conditions, pre-occupation with something else, or some other distraction, and there you are, dead or maimed. If it can happen to a fire chief who is an insurance agent, it can happen to anyone.
Agreed. Most accidents are avoidable, but that doesn't change that they happen. No one is perfect, or on top of things all of the time, or can focus on every single thing that goes on around them. The phrase "stupid hurts" may always fit, but that doesn't change that it can and does happen to everyone.
I had it happen this past week. With Lee coming, I wanted to get my driveway ready. My house is up against a ridge. The driveway continues past the house, and up the ridge- it is an old fire road that was cut many moons ago. The road follows the side of the ridge, and is about 15-20 feet above a spring that runs in the hollow.
I have in the past dug cross ditches, to channel heavy rainfall to the side of the road, and down into the spring. This mitigates the amount of runoff that goes on down my driveway, carrying all my gravel away. The ditches fill up, and erode away, so I was having a hard time digging them out. I didn't have a pick at the house, so I threw the potato plow on the 7100, and used that to loosen the shale up with. I had to drive crossways, at a slight angle. When my right front tire would get close to the edge, I'd stop and back up. Stupid, I know, but like most of us, I thought I had it all under control. Before I could process what was happening, I let the right front tire get too close to the drop-off. Although I was in 4WD, as soon as the axle bottomed, it took the weight off the right front tire and the left rear. Before I could blink, I was over the edge, sucking air, minding going a zillion miles an hour, and leaning back as far as I could. The tractor didn't drop the whole way, and although the tractor was sitting at a 70 degree angle, it hadn't flipped forward. I climbed off the back and composed my thoughts. The plow had stopped it from going all the way down, and had undoubtably kept it from flipping forward. I had shut the tractor down before I climbed off, so I set the brake to keep it from going farther, and went to get my dad and his tractor. We pulled it out with no problem and there was no damage to my precious body or Kubota.
I am embarassed to say that it happened, and although I know that it was avoidable, I also know that things happen quicker than we can process or correct. Simple as that. Being smarter, more contemplative, taking extra precaution, etc. is helpful, but you still can't avoid the accident. That's the price we pay for being human, and for complex circumstances.
So, be careful, keep your head about you, wear that seatbelt, but stay cautious- it can happen at any time.
And, by the way, I am 42, and do not lack in experience or common sense. Actually, that sometimes adds to the chances. We get comfortable and complacent, because we are capable and have a history of safety.

Last edited:

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Lee wasn't bad at all. About 5" of slow rain over 3 days.
Wish I could send it to Texas, though...

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
Many reporting agencies no longer even use the term "accident" as there is almost always and identifiable causative effect, generally negligence/ improper operation.

This does not necessarily equate to stupidity, or least it does not to me. Many if not most of us have operated our machines in such a manner as hodge or the individual referred to in the OP, with the only difference being, we got away with it.

I guess in the end it is up to each of us, when doing something we acknowledge may not be totally safe to ask ourselves, "Do you fell lucky, well do you..."

aquaforce

Equipment
L245DT FEL, JD450 Track loader, 5' scrape blade&mower, 5x10 trailer, Dump truck
Apr 22, 2009
Stockbridge, Ga. USA
SAFETY is one subject that cannot be taken for granted!!! Of course one can't legislate against stupid as some entities try to but a healthy value for safety goes a long way.

My dad was brush hogging an area, that we had clear cut some years previous, and was almost a slice and chop victim. The wheels on the tractor were turned inward for irrigation work but dad wanted to do some quick clean up of saplings etc that were up in the area we had cleared. On the side of a hill the up hill tire hit a stump that he didn't see. With the tires turned in the tractor was instantly launched into a down hill roll and the brush hog was at full speed. Dad jumped in a direction that would have him clear but the protruding axle caught him and slung him back in the direction of the roll. His thoughts were to move as soon as he could get a hold of something or get to the ground to run. When he hit the ground the rotating blades were already 2' above his head and there was no place to go. Fortunately the tractor rested against a tree which kept it from coming back to the ground and chopping up my dad.
It still gives me chills to think of how my life would have changed that day if my dad had been killed by the bush hog. My dad grew up his entire life with tractors, just as I have, and was fully aware of how to handle equipment. He also served as a Marine and knows how things can go bad fast. I don't know what was on his mind but I know he knew better than to put a tractor with in-turned wheels on a hill side. The time it takes to reverse the wheels was more than he wanted to take so a quick compromise got wicked very fast.
I'm so glad we fixed the tractor instead of a grave but this serves as a personal reminder when I operate my tractor. One small compromise can go down a road that you can't navigate.

Be safe everyone. Tractors are fun but they aren't worth dying for. ;)