Battery maintenance: Trickle charger or not?

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Question for the experts - the standard bike battery (on a GL1200) I was using just wasn't lasting. My bike tech recommended an Odyssey extreme PC680 (called a nonspillable drycell battery) which, despite the premium price, I bought. First year was fine but over winter I put a battery maintainer on it (The same one I use with good results on my car, truck and tractor).

Come spring the battery just didn't have the charge to start the bike even after a charge with a regular charger. Took the battery back and the dealer (reluctantly) replaced it. Long story short the new battery did the same thing.

So my question - are some types of batteries not friendly with long term trickle chargers?

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Try the batteryuniversity.com website and look up your specific type of battery and its charging protocol. I was surprised at the different needs for the different types of batteries. My brother has a Chevy Bolt and he was explaining the narrow window for charging it properly.

BruceM

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 19, 2018
Concho, AZ
Yes, matching the type of charger to the type of battery is essential.

I'm not sure what the battery you bought is- but it is probably and AGM type.
Depending on your battery maintainer, that may or may not be OK.

I'm suspicious that something about your charger/setup was wrong. You should always monitor the battery voltage with a volt meter to make sure the battery voltage is maintained at a reasonable range for float service.

I think it is not wise to pay the premium for AGM batteries unless you have an application were their features are really needed. (no spill, higher efficiency charging and lower resistance at high current discharge). I do use them and like them.

NoJacketRequired

Equipment
B7510 & LA302 FEL & B2782 blower, B7510 & B2781 blower, B2410 & B2550 blower
May 25, 2016
Ottawa, Ontario
Question for the experts - the standard bike battery (on a GL1200) I was using just wasn't lasting. My bike tech recommended an Odyssey extreme PC680 (called a nonspillable drycell battery) which, despite the premium price, I bought. First year was fine but over winter I put a battery maintainer on it (The same one I use with good results on my car, truck and tractor).

Come spring the battery just didn't have the charge to start the bike even after a charge with a regular charger. Took the battery back and the dealer (reluctantly) replaced it. Long story short the new battery did the same thing.

So my question - are some types of batteries not friendly with long term trickle chargers?
Oh boy... this one is a hot topic in the homebuilt aircraft world where Odyssey batteries are very popular. After much experience in that arena it has become clear that Odyssey Absorbed Gas Mat batteries and other similar AGMs do NOT like float chargers. In fact float chargers or battery minders tend to drastically shorten the lifespan of these batteries.

One of the joys of the AGM battery technology is that its self-discharge rate is very low. This low self-discharge characteristic leads to virtually no need to top up the battery regularly.

As a case in point, I purchased a pair of PC680's for my two airplanes. One was intended for my older, flying airplane, while the other was intended for my new aircraft which at that time was in the final stages of construction. After performing a load test on my 'old' PC680 installed in my flying airplane, I opted not to replace it. At 8 years of age it was showing lots of life. The "new" airplane took longer to finish than I had hoped, so its "new" PC680 was actually two years old before it was used in earnest.

I still have the second "new" PC680 on the shelf. In fact it has been on the shelf for two years now. As an experiment I refused to charge it for six months - I just wanted to see how it would do. Open-circuit voltage after six months was still 12.7 volts (Odyssey batteries seem to exhibit a slightly higher open circuit voltage than do flooded lead acid batteries - don't ask me why). I load-tested the battery after 6 months on the shelf and it showed great vigor. I recharged it with a normal high-current charger and, after 8 hours of charge, put it back on the shelf for another six month test. At the 12 month point the results were identical. Again I load tested it, recharged it and put it back on the shelf but had to press it into service for a few days last year to get the lawn tractor through the final throes of grass cutting for the year, then the battery went back on the shelf again. As luck would have it I tested it just the other day, this time after nine months of being ignored on the shelf. Results were nearly identical to those achieved after six months of being ignored. Quite impressive.

After talking to the Odyssey tech support folks it became clear the Odyssey likes to be recharged at a fairly high rate. According to the manufacturer the best charger for an Odyssey is a good engine-driven alternator.

Oh, I should mention that the battery in my old airplane is still going strong. Earlier this month it again passed the load test with flying colors. It's now 10 years old.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Oh boy... this one is a hot topic in the homebuilt aircraft world where Odyssey batteries are very popular. After much experience in that arena it has become clear that Odyssey Absorbed Gas Mat batteries and other similar AGMs do NOT like float chargers. In fact float chargers or battery minders tend to drastically shorten the lifespan of these batteries.
Thank you for this - I suspected as much but your experience is much appreciated. I will pass it along to my battery vendor so they are aware as well.
Would be nice if the Odyssey folks would include a caution in their battery instructions (I DO read that stuff).

dandeman

Equipment
BX2230, LA211 FEL, RCK60B Mower, GCK60BX Bagger; Ford 4000, bush hog, blade, etc
Aug 9, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
www.dan-de-man.net
This video from Eaton Powerware very briefly explains why float charging sealed AGM batteries shortens their life. Without getting into the details, there is an additional voltage drop at the negative plate inside the battery due to the process of gas recombination that takes place there. The net effect when charging the battery is the positive plate (which under normal circumstances, no gas recombination is occuring there) is being slightly overcharged in the process, which causes corrosion on the positive plate over time. Often external signs of this corrosion are visible in that the corrosion causes swelling of the positive plate and subsequent bulging up of the positive terminal from the case, sometimes sufficient enough to break the case seal around the terminal/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ90zfF8Wz4

I'm an EE that as a second carreer worked for a little over 10 years in application design and installation of commercial 48volt DC power plants and as a freebie from that job got my hands on many used but good condition sealed AGM battteries for my home UPS.

I've been doing an ongoing study of the life cycle of these batteries with access to a commercial Alber battery test system http://www.alber.com , which in the business proved to be a very reliable indication of the condition of batteries in service. My home UPS uses automated cyclic charging as described on the Powerware video..

Using either the cyclic charging recommended by Powerware or, pulse charging systems (very good at breaking up sulfation, yet doesn't cause positive plate corrosion) is a good way to go.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What kind of battery are the new Kubotas coming with? How do you recognize this new type?

BruceM

Equipment
L2550D
Sep 19, 2018
Concho, AZ
Nice post on AGM float service, Dandeman. Helpful, I haven't kept up on the latest in AGM life extension. Looks like the charge it once in a while might be best for them.

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
Well time for a final update on my six volt battery revival. Six batteries.
It worked.
When I started the process to put the batteries back into service I couldn’t get the batteries to hold a charge using my 12 volt charger/booster. I would charge them and within 24 hours they would drain down to pre charge levels.
To start the revival I connected two six volt batteries in series to create three twelve volt batteries.
Then charged them for one hour with the charger/booster and then put them on the BatteryMinder and used the BatteryMinder on and off for a couple weeks. They finally got to the point where they reached the auto shut-off of 14.5 volts and are holding a charge. They can now sit for two weeks and maintain a voltage of 6.3+ volts. I picked up a hydrometer and the readings are 1270-1275 in the good range. I am happy with the results.
Thanks D2CAT for sharing your experience. I am a believer.

Edit: I took out the term “Trickle Charger”. I interchanged Trickle Charger and BatteryMinder incorrectly. I only used the BatteryMinder in this process.

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Big difference between a trickle charger and a smart charger. A trickle charger will overcharge a battery and boil it dry. A smart charger will quit charging when the battery reaches 13.5 volts and then resumes when the voltage drops below 12.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Exactly what I use. Just the Yuhasa brand because I sell them....