Battery Cranking amps

Codi

Equipment
Kubota B9200D bush hog, finish mower, carry all, box blade
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Hi all!
This is going to me two questions in one....

I was checking my battery today and saw that the cold cranking amps (32 F) of 590 and 0F of 425 amps. Does this seem a little low? If it is, would the glow plugs take longer to heat up? I have noticed if I don't preheat at least 30-40 seconds I will get a considerable amount of white smoke. But the longer I preheat, the less white smoke I get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That is a fine CCA battery, sure higher IS better, but if it spin fast enough to fire, that really is the bottom line - and as for preheating, the hotter the temp inside the head, the better the total burn will be and the less smoke there is - on a cold engine that has a lot of fuel delivered to it - it will smoke due to unburned fuel. The hotter chamber will allow the fuel to ignite once the pressure builds.
Think of a piece of paper that is slightly damp, it is harder to burn, a piece that is completely dry will ignite easier. A cold over fueled head will not burn the gasses as well as a preheated one.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Cranking amps are basically the horse power rating of a battery :D The more amps the more oomph to spin over the motor.

The glow plugs heating up depends on the age of the gp's, and I believe the ratings. Some plugs heat faster and hotter then others. Not sure of the specs on them though.

The timing seems about right depending on the temps out side. I usually hit mine for around 20 to 30 seconds. If the motor starts with less time on the plugs, that's fine as well. The white smoke is just unburned fuel. It won't hurt your tractor.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
That is a fine CCA battery, sure higher IS better, but if it spin fast enough to fire, that really is the bottom line - and as for preheating, the hotter the temp inside the head, the better the total burn will be and the less smoke there is - on a cold engine that has a lot of fuel delivered to it - it will smoke due to unburned fuel. The hotter chamber will allow the fuel to ignite once the pressure builds.
Think of a piece of paper that is slightly damp, it is harder to burn, a piece that is completely dry will ignite easier. A cold over fueled head will not burn the gasses as well as a preheated one.

That makes since. I just never remember it doing the white smoke on cold starts when I use to use at papaw's. Maybe it is just getting old? :p

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Cranking amps are basically the horse power rating of a battery :D The more amps the more oomph to spin over the motor.

The glow plugs heating up depends on the age of the gp's, and I believe the ratings. Some plugs heat faster and hotter then others. Not sure of the specs on them though.

The timing seems about right depending on the temps out side. I usually hit mine for around 20 to 30 seconds. If the motor starts with less time on the plugs, that's fine as well. The white smoke is just unburned fuel. It won't hurt your tractor.

I replaced the plugs a little over a month ago. The rating I am not sure on. I did get them from Kubota though so it is whatever they recommend for the tractor. But that is me assuming....and you know what they say about assuming.... :[emoji13]

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Check your manual, some diesels have automatic systems for pre-warming and some have a chart of temperature versus pre-warm time. I know some tractors call for 30 seconds or more for cold temperatures while my little BX only takes 10 seconds down to 5 F. The long pre-heats of 30 seconds may serve two purposes, warming the engine and warming the battery. The current flow during the pre-heat warms the battery so it supplies more power for faster cranking.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
...and remember, an engine block heater, lightbulb under the oil pan, warm shop, etc all contribute to faster warm-up & starting times. No need to make the battery do all the work if you can help it.

Codi

Equipment
Jan 17, 2016
Northern Kentucky
Check your manual, some diesels have automatic systems for pre-warming and some have a chart of temperature versus pre-warm time. I know some tractors call for 30 seconds or more for cold temperatures while my little BX only takes 10 seconds down to 5 F. The long pre-heats of 30 seconds may serve two purposes, warming the engine and warming the battery. The current flow during the pre-heat warms the battery so it supplies more power for faster cranking.

Mine is only supposed to take 20 seconds down to 32 F. After that is recommended to be between 30 and 60 seconds.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I have a battery hierarchy. Good new batteries go in trucks, and vehicles that are needed to generate $. When I take one out of these vehicles for whatever reason, if it will test good to 300 CCA, then it goes into a kubota, if it will fit. I have never had a problem yet, with one starting a lil kubota, that meets the above criteria...:D:D

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
To answer your question, follow this reasoning:

consider glow plugs are in essence just like an [incandescent] light bulb.

A 12-vdc light bulb can be hooked up to the biggest truck battery or a lawnmower battery.

If each is fully charged, the light glows the same.

Of course the much larger battery 'stores' more power so the bulb will stay lit longer.

In the case of Kubota glow plugs, if they stay on 30-seconds, there's a problem in the system.

Another poster mentions block and other heating methods. Any supplemental heat safely applied to the engine helps take the load off the glow plugs and starter and makes all starts easier.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I had trouble as it got cold, i couldnt glow plug long enough and there wasnt enough battery left to crank. This is very harmful to your starter. So i proceeded to test a few of my spare batteries. I have a carbon pile load tester, places a real load on battery. I found one that load tested at 300,this is a 50 %load test so its roughly 600 amps.
My little machine never started so well.
If it at all seems weak, consider the cost of a replacement battery vs the cost of a new starter. If you get 6 years out of a battery (at least up here) you are doing well. After that its just a matter of time. My other tractor has a battery thats 8 years old, i got it for nothing as it froze when it was in a new car.

chieffan

Equipment
B7100HST w/RC60-71B Deck
Jan 12, 2016
SW Iowa Adams county
When the temp gets down to freezing or below I use a 50K BTU forced air heater directed at the engine from about 6-8 ft away. Let that run for 20 min or so and help a BUNCH for starting.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
And in the cold a battery tender will make a BIG difference in the life of your battery