Ballast question

mikkeeh

Aug 28, 2013
Mount Vernon Ohio
Im using a box blade with about 300# of weights as a ballast for my FEL. Are you guys using anything (chains) to support the weight and take the load off of the hydraulics.....or not???

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Im using a box blade with about 300# of weights as a ballast for my FEL. Are you guys using anything (chains) to support the weight and take the load off of the hydraulics.....or not???
Hmm... I'm not using 3PH ballast yet, though it's on my "project list"; you raise a question that hadn't occurred to me. My 3PH leaks down in about 5 days with only a Triton 3PH hitch on it; however, I doubt I'd have that problem while running the loader.

That being said, I'll be interested in what experienced guys (and the gal) have to say.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I've never worried about chaining the load up.
But if it makes you feel better go for it. ;)

Pepsiboy

Equipment
BX2350D, FEL, MMM, Rear tiller
Oct 3, 2014
Shell Knob, Mo
mikkeeh,

I use the 4ft rear tiller that I got with the BX2350 I purchased 7 years ago. I do not use chains, only hydraulics to support it while working. NO PROBLEMS ! ! I have not had any trouble lifting at max weight capacity of factory loader.

Dave

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
My dad uses a 55 gallon drum, and I will be doing the same. No chaining it up.
Mine will be QH compatible (dad's isn't). The drawbar is removable, if I ever feel like I want to use it. They are strong, the right dimensions, easy, and cheap.

Also, my 3ph doesn't leak down after weeks of sitting. Granted, it *should* be put down on the ground when parked anyway......

Attachments