Ballast box

Wrencher2423

Apr 27, 2014
Leechburg,Pa,U.S.A
Got the box yesterday now to get some sand and load it up. It appears that I am going to have to make a stand cause i don't think it will hock up the 3 pt while it's on the floor.

dwk121

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1870 fel,54" MMM, ballast box. 3ph triball trailer hitch.
Jul 4, 2013
United States Falling Waters WV
I use 350 lbs of bagged sand in mine and filled tires. Works great. I installed steel casters on the bottom of box, it makes it easy to store and hook up to tractor.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well if it has weep holes in the corners, you could just lay in a layer of small gravel and then sand on top, the sand will pack in nicely about the stone. You don't want to seal the holes up cause water will accumulate and over time rot the bottom out

Paulemar

Equipment
BX25, 60" MMM, 3 point hitch, 60" front plow, 48" Phoenix rototiller.
Jan 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Got the box yesterday now to get some sand and load it up. It appears that I am going to have to make a stand cause i don't think it will hock up the 3 pt while it's on the floor.

Yeah, I have the same box and I initially had to use some 4x4's to raise it high enough to install. I can't remember for sure which worked, because I did 2 things at the same time to fix the problem of the lift arms not going down far enough. (1) I bought another adjustable side link and put it on the left side. (2) I drilled another 1/2" hole in each lift arm about 2 inches closer to the tractor. I'm pretty sure the 2nd adj. side link did the trick because I keep the 3 point set up in the original lift arm holes. I thought I needed the extra holes to get a cat 1 one bottom Brinly plow to go deep enough. I found info with a google search, but there wasn't a lot out there.
I just use old concrete blocks, old disk brake rotors, belgian blocks, old lifting weights and whatever works for ballast. I want to be able to easily empty the box if necessary. It drains perfectly too. I planned to build a wood/fiberglas cover for it to hide the ugly but haven's so far.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Wildfire what did you close the holes up in the corner with? Mine has what appears to be drain holes in corner and don't want the sand to come out like an hour glass.
Well when I got my ballast box it was pretty fugly. If I had my time back I would have built one from scratch but I decided to mod this one and to plug the holes I simply welded them over.

Last edited:

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
Dan I paid $233 from the dealer, it looks like DWK's, as previously posted. I do have one problem. I havent used it yet:D
I did try hooking it up once but I have Pats quick hitch and it interferes with the box. I will play around this winter and try extendending the pins to see if that solves it. I really dont need it since the backhoe or box blade is great counterwieght.

DanC

Equipment
2012 Kubota BX25D TLB
Oct 14, 2014
Middleborough,Ma.
Thanks for the reply's, I am waiting for the Kubota dealer to pick up my BX25D to install a Curtis Cab and I think it would be easier to clear snow with having a ballast box instead of the back hoe on the back. What do you guy's think? Dan

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
The price i paid was last year and in the spring, I'm sure they went up a little.
Dan I would take the backhoe off too, shorten it up as much as possible. Im not sure what you are using for snow removal FEL, plow, snow blower? But a ballast box should be more than enuff with the proper weight.

gregger

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Saint John, NB Canada
Re: Ballast box & Curtis Cab

Thanks for the reply's, I am waiting for the Kubota dealer to pick up my BX25D to install a Curtis Cab and I think it would be easier to clear snow with having a ballast box instead of the back hoe on the back. What do you guy's think? Dan
I just bought the Kubota 2789 51" Rear Blower, to serve two purposes, as a rear counter weight on my BX25D, but also of course to blow out the snow when the FEL won't stack it anymore. I'm in process of gearing up an electric remote to rotate the chute and a sweet linear actuator to tilt the chute angle. Princess Auto had all I needed.
I've been tossing getting a Curtis Cab too, but Dang, even as nice as they are, I cannot justify the dollars, so I've sketched up some rough plans, bought some light steel stock, and hope to start fabbing in a couple weeks. -I'll post some pix when I get started.

Attachments

DanC

Equipment
2012 Kubota BX25D TLB
Oct 14, 2014
Middleborough,Ma.
Hi Gregger, I did a search for home made cabs and saw some real nice ones on Utube. I am installing new windows and doors on my house so I just don't have time be build a cab. The new cab was pretty costly, cab, heater and rear wiper was about $4800.00. Dan

t33jetman

Equipment
BX25D, TLB, 1860 bal. bucket, Curtis Hard Cab
Aug 31, 2013
Wooster, Ohio
Yes it is easier.

Attachments

DanC

Equipment
2012 Kubota BX25D TLB
Oct 14, 2014
Middleborough,Ma.
Re: Ballast box / Curtis cab

Hi T33Jetman, How do you like the Curtis cab? I like all the lights you put on your tractor. Did you have to put on a larger alternator, also did you add the trailer hitch to the ballast box? Thanks. Dan

t33jetman

Equipment
BX25D, TLB, 1860 bal. bucket, Curtis Hard Cab
Aug 31, 2013
Wooster, Ohio
Re: Ballast box / Curtis cab

Hi T33Jetman, How do you like the Curtis cab? I like all the lights you put on your tractor. Did you have to put on a larger alternator, also did you add the trailer hitch to the ballast box? Thanks. Dan
Hi,
Yes I added the trailer hitch , which is bolted onto the bottom, from TSC store.

I also installed the cab by myself in one night.

Love the cab, it has the 20000 BTU heater.I have worked at midnight in 20 degree weather and was glad that the heater was there to warm me up so I could keep going. I added the wipers and over head console with fans to it and CD/AM FM player.

No bigger alternator was added, but I think I am at my limit for lights.

The doors and back come off for the summer work.

look for my build threads under Fabrication for all the add on I did.

Attachments

Last edited: