Ballast box (chained?)

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I just bought a L3901 with a front end loader that will be delivered on Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone chains there ballast boxes up to take the weight off the hydraulics? A friend of mine does this on his older Ford tractor and I was wonder if this is a common thing. I will be making my own three point ballast.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I put another pin under the top link on the tractor and chain it there -takes most of the stress off the 3pt hitch..

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Leave it attached to the hitch. Safer and sturdier on the hitch then swinging from a chain.

If the tractor is not in use then lower the 3pt to the ground. If your using the tractor then it can stay on the hitch all day without problems.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Eric, I think you miss understand. He leaves the ballast connected to the three point, but chains it up to take the weight off the hydraulic system.

MattyNH

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT, R4 tires, Bradco Forks, Third function valve
Oct 15, 2014
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire
I don't chain my ballast box up..Your not gonna hurt the hydraulics..I will have to say though I do lower the box to the ground when not running..

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I agree with Eric on this - you are not going to hurt a thing, but set it on the ground when the tractor is shut down. At least half the reason for this is to prevent 2 neighbor kids from coming out of nowhere, and have one of them lower the ballast on the other's foot...
Welcome to OTT and the forum. We look forward to hearing more from you. Hope you like the tractor.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Having a ballast box sitting back there would not be any different then having any tractor attachment on the hitch all day. Like a grading box or any heavy attachment.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I just bought a L3901 with a front end loader that will be delivered on Tuesday and I was wondering if anyone chains there ballast boxes up to take the weight off the hydraulics? A friend of mine does this on his older Ford tractor and I was wonder if this is a common thing. I will be making my own three point ballast.
Older Ford tractor probably = a 3 point hitch that leaks down. That is why people chain them up. If it leaks down you need to keep fiddling with 3 point control. You forget and next thing you know you are dragging the ballast on the ground.

GEPM64

Equipment
B2601 with FEL, Box Scraper, rotary mower, 3pt snowblower and Sovema Tiller
Sep 15, 2014
Hazelridge, Manitoba, Canada
On my bx2370 the ballast box does not touch the ground when lowered all the way. Is this a concern? Should I find a way to take the weight off?

Thanks,
Glenn

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
When the 3ph is all the way down the cylinder is fully collapsed, so there is no real strain back there. You are leaving a significant weight on the real axle and bearings, however. It shouldn't be a problem but if you are concerned, lay a couple of 2x4's under it before you set it down, to hold the weight. You can also pick a different set of mounting holes on the lift arms to allow the weight to sit on the ground.
Whenever I park my tractor in the barn I have to leave the FEL up in the air on cylinder blocks, which does the same thing to the front axle and bearings. I don't worry about it.