Backhoe Thumb...

ccs

Equipment
M5-111HDC12 4WD w/FEL, RC4615, RCF3696: L4060 w/FEL, QH15, RCF2072, BB2572
Jul 5, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hi All...so I'm pretty well set on ordering a new L3901 with FEL and several implements and a Backhoe (the BH77 is whats on the L3901)...

Seems to me getting a Thumb for the backhoe really increases the uses for the backhoe...so, whats the opinions on the "Mechanical Thumb" from Kubota or an after market (the BXpanded looked pretty good)

Are these "mechanical thumbs" any good..?? Seems like without having the ease of hydraulics its either gonna be in the way or a pain to keep adjusting it.....Would REALLY like to have a hydraulic thumb but dont see that Kubota offers that for an L3901 and dont really want to go any bigger on the Tractor than an L3901....

So..mechanical thumb any good or a waste or Kubota make a hydraulic for L3901 or ?? Thanks for opinions and info....

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I got a mechanical one on mine. Haven't had a whole lot of time with it, but I know it will come in handy...I had a bx23 for 11 years...no thumb and I sure could've used one.

I think they are worth the $. I believe there are some after market kits, but you have to use your top link. I wouldn't advise that. The one from Kubota is simple to use and quite sturdy.

jmf78

Equipment
BX23S W/ Factory Deluxe Cab, 60" MMM, 60" BX-2612 Snow Blade & BX-2816 Blower
Nov 5, 2015
Edinboro, PA, USA
I haven't used mune much other than toting some concrere slabs and small logs from ine side of the property to the other. It dedinitely doesn't get in the way while doing any BH work and barely notice its there.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

baronetm

Equipment
L3901HST w/FEL, 3rd fnct. BH77 BH, 5' Bushhog, 6' BBL, 42" Forks, WoodMaxx WM-8H
Apr 19, 2017
South Central VT.
I have a mechanical thumb on mine, purchased it for the purpose of clearing stones from my lawn and placing as rip rap in the brook behind my barn. I also would have preferred a hydraulic thumb since getting on and off the tractor to reset the thumb to match your stone can be a pain, but the exercise is good. I had to take my hoe back to the dealer to have the curl cylinder replaced with 39 hours on the tractor and no more than a than 1-2 hours on the hoe, it would not pick up a 100 lb. stone without losing its grip and had 6” of backlash in the cylinder after 30 seconds. The cylinder when disassembled showed severe scoring which tore the piston seals, (possible manufacturing defect) a new cylinder was installed and all is good. I have dug many 200-500 lb. stones from my lawn and an old stone wall, carried them trapped between the thumb and hoe to the brook, works like a dream, would not be without it.

Reactions: 1 user