Backhoe for a B7610

Joe

Equipment
B7610, LA352
May 29, 2010
Hopewell NJ
I have been looking to get a backhoe for my B7610 and am interested in your opinions.

This backhoe will be used for stump removal (3-10in stumps, several hundred of them), trenching/hole digging and to dig up small trees for transplanting. Not really heavy duty work for the most part so I think a 3pt backhoe would be ok for me rather than a frame mount.

As I see it I have 6 options:

1. buy a new name brand Kubota or Woods etc. backhoe, a B4672 or equivalent would do nicely for me.

2. try to find a used model of BH above.

3. buy a used BH made for a skid steer loader and convert it for use on the B7610. Lots of those on Craigslist.

4. Build a DIY backhoe using internet plans.

5. Buy a cheap import brand backhoe such as the KPX hoes.

6. Rent a backhoe.

Well I have pretty much ruled out option 1 since $6-$7k is more than I can spend. Having looked for about 4 months now, I think finding a used Kubota or Woods will be very difficult.

Buying a skid steer backhoe seems attractive as there are many available for $3k or less, but it will be a risky job to convert one for use on the B7610, no guarantee of success.

A DIY backhoe would be the cheapest at less than $2k but I worry it will end up on the pile of half finished projects, I really need to get the backhoe work done starting in the spring.

Renting a backhoe will not work out as the work will be done over an extended period of time.

So I am leaning toward getting a cheap import backhoe such as the KPX. What do people think of these BH? Does anyone have any experience with them? Any other brands of import backhoes?

I am interested in hearing what people think, and if I have overlooked anything. Thanks.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Joe, I'm not familar with your tractor or the 3 pt backhoe. I have heard horror stories about folks actually breaking or cracking the bell housing or other structural member using a 3 pt BH. Hopefully someone with experience using one will jump in and give you better advice.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Joe, I went with option 1 on your list and bought a 4672 for my B 7100 4wd that I had before. This hoe was to replace the woods that came on the tractor when it was new. I had simply worn/destroyed the poor little woods unit. Long story short, the 4672 is a pretty good rig. I still have it today and switched it over from a B model setup to the L series and use it on my L 3000. I went to pick my 7100 up at the dealer when they were thru installing the new backhoe. Started up on my trailer and the front end looked at the sky. It had never been a problem pulling up on the trailer before. After beating the mohawk out of the middle of the seat I figured I would back it on. Bucket hit back of trailer. Engage pto and raise extend the stick so the bucket would clear. Frame on backhoe hits the ramps before the rear tire reached them. Lets just say it ended up being a chore to leave the dealer that day. Ended up building new ramps (6 1/2' long) to get it on the trailer. Filled the front tires with water. I mean filled. No air required. Did this trying to get every bit of weight on the front as I could. Even cut steel plate and had it hanging from the front of the frame. Ended up almost 200 lbs of steel on the front when it was all over with. Never did get enough weight on the front of it to be able to pull on the trailer. If I had to go up a hill I would have to carry a bucket of dirt or get somebody to ride in the bucket for extra weight.

I know the 4672 is listed for your tractor but I would think about it long and hard. My opinion is that it's to much backhoe for a tractor that size. It was listed for the 7100 also. The 3ph wouldn't even pick it up. The only way to get it in position to hook it up was with the out riggers. Hanging back as far as it does just puts the weight way to far toward the rear and simply overloads the B series tractors.

B7100hst-d

Oct 31, 2010
NLR AR
My experience is low with the smaller sized backhoes, but I have used them a few times and every single time, I wish I had more power/weight to do the job at hand.

IMHO: I'd plan so that it's not an "extended period" of use, and rent a "real" backhoe for a weekend (or a couple weekends) and get all the backhoe jobs done at one time.

FWIW: A lot of trees can be chained 10-20' up and pulled over with a 4x4 truck (or heavier tractor) using chain/pull straps and it will pull up the stumps with them. I've pulled several 4" pines using my B7100, but it'd strain on 6", and I could use my truck and pull them fine. Use common sense and be safe etc and it's a doable thing. Then saw up the tree and use your existing tractor to drag the stumps to the burn/compost pile.