Back blade - how high should it lift?

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
New to using a back blade and not sure what I'm doing. I use it on a BX and only real plan for it is to plow snow. I understand that the 3PH top link adjusts the lifting height and angle.

Right now, it lifts the bottom of the plow about 7" or so off the ground. With some steep areas on my property (not the drive I plow, but across the lawn to where the tractor is stored), I have to be careful about digging the blade into the ground.

Is there a "general" height that I should try?

I realize it's a rookie question but I've just never used a back blade. Thanks for any advice!

[/url]20170107_111044 by Jeff Metcalf, on Flickr[/IMG]

20170107_111027 by Jeff Metcalf, on Flickr

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
The BX is pretty limited on adjusting things and it looks like the blade may be slightly larger than "It likes". It looks like you have the blade set right with the lower arms frame of it horizontal. Since the lifting links to the tractor's lower arms are not adjustable (at least the left side), it looks like you are stuck. If you put new shorter links between the tractor's upper lift arms and its lower arms, you would have more lift height of the blade. On my BX I have a little more lift ability, but not much more. On lager tractors, the upper link has a few different attachment places, but the poor BX, no way.

bcp

Equipment
BX2360
Apr 20, 2011
SW WA
I also have a standard size blade to use on my BX. The problem is that with the main beam level, you have already used up about half of your lift capability. If I need a higher lift, I have to shorten the top link. It can be shortened quite a bit and still have the blade reach the ground.

But if you are constantly changing the blade angle, and working on flat ground, the main beam needs to be level or the blade will be lower at the forward corner. Then you just have to tolerate the low lift.

Bruce

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You have the top link set way too long, shorten it up.
With the blade just up off the ground, the front should be 90 degrees to the ground.
And if you can look on the center link attachment on the tractor side if there is lower pin hole to attach the center link, do that.

Dieselbob

Equipment
BX 2230, LA211 loader, 60â€￾ MMM, 2â€￾ wheel spacers, grille guard, gauges, bucket e
Nov 17, 2014
Fort Wayne IN
I had to lower the mounting points on my Land Pride to get the blade more than a few inches off the ground. The only downside is I can't easily spin the blade around, but that's not something I was doing much anyway. My experience is that with the turf tires, I didn't have enough traction to push very much with the blade anyway.

Attachments

Delmar

Equipment
G1900 / Kubota BX
Sep 24, 2015
Bluegrass State
Thanks, cerlawson, 1970cs, bcp, NIW, and Dieselbob. I appreciate your replies. I took a look at the top link and its extended about as far as it will go. I'll shorten it up a bit and see how it does.

Although its a small tractor, it seems to handle the blade ok. More difficult dirt work might be different, but for moving snow it seems fine.

NIW - there's no second mounting point for the top link on my tractor. I will, though, shorten the top link and see how it does.

Dieselbob - Your setup looks really nice. Looks like you're in northern IN so you get a lot more snow than we do in KY. I might add some weights in a similar fashion. Thanks for the pic!

Thanks again!