B9200HST 4WD struggles uphill

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How are you getting the parts diagrams off of the Coleman site? It only lets me view oil filters for the B9200HST.
Skip that and go straight to Kubota, you will still need the WSM in order to fix it:

https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
Click on: View illustrated parts
Click on square that you agree to legal and then open
Enter B9200
Go down to B9200HST-DP for 4wd or B9200HST-EP for 2wd.
Know your serial# as there was 2 different HST units put in those models.

Hope you have the older version HST because the newer version HST is 3 times more expensive to fix.

Last edited:

Redjos80

Equipment
B9200HST 4WD
May 31, 2018
Stafford, VA, USA
Update #4:

This is a photo of the hydraulic fluid after the second flush and filter. I ran the tractor for a couple hours today and pulled some logs. It’s moves better but still struggles up hills even in low. I was able to climb a small grade tonight without any load.

I’m going to keep flushing until the fluid is clear before going any further.

Attachments

Redjos80

Equipment
B9200HST 4WD
May 31, 2018
Stafford, VA, USA
More photos. Looks like I’ve lucked out and have the lower serial number tractor (THANK GOD!!). You can see my PTO driven BH and the position control is jacked up and locked. Again, I’ll “try” to flush the fluid and see if a miracle occurs. Thanks

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Are the three point arms attached to any part of the BH?

If they are attached then it's not a subframe mounted BH.

If they are not attached, loosen the wing nut on the stop thats holding the lever from moving, and move the lever towards the front, this will change the hydraulic system if it's going into bypass.

Then try running the tractor again, I didn't know you hadn't addressed the three point control issue, until 85Hokie brought it to my attention.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
How can you definitively say that?
As a bad / damaged / slipping clutch will directly effect the HST.
I'm not saying it's not got a damaged or compromised HST unit, but it's much cheaper and easy to eliminate it being the clutch first. ;)
PTO driven BH works fine regardless.

It's not the clutch.

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Yes I know that, but he never said that till after your comment. ;)
"The tractor has helped me dig 200ft of French drains...." Initial post.

Don't know how he could have done this with a PTO driven BH if the clutch was slipping.

SDT

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
"The tractor has helped me dig 200ft of French drains...." Initial post.

Don't know how he could have done this with a PTO driven BH if the clutch was slipping.

SDT
Point noted, But I was baffled by "pulled dozens of 30ft logs out of the woods", that doesn't sound like a dead HST to me, so I assumed that the problem came up after he had done all the work, indicative of a burnt clutch. ;)

Last edited:

Redjos80

Equipment
B9200HST 4WD
May 31, 2018
Stafford, VA, USA
Update #17

Great news! After another flush (that’s three if you’re counting...) and can of seafoam, the fluid isn’t milky anymore.

The tractor seems to run better and is quieter.

However, I moved the position control lever down and the lift arms stayed up. My BH is not connnected. As I was operating the tractor, it wouldn’t move unless I operated the loader controls. I’m nearly 100% convinced that the relief valve or another valve is bypassing fluid. When I put the position control lever back up, the tractor would move on it’s on again.

Does anyone recommend taking the tractor to the Kubota dealer for hydraulic diagnostics or should I just pay amazon the $100 for the pressure gauge and do it myself? Thanks.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can get the gauge and parts to hook it up on Ebay or amazon for about $15.

First go to the hydraulic block and take a picture of it, I'm wondering if the valve is in the wrong position?

How is the PS?

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Point noted, But I was baffled by "pulled dozens of 30ft logs out of the woods", that doesn't sound like a dead HST to me, so I assumed that the problem came up after he had done all the work, indicative of a burnt clutch. ;)
I agree, Wolfman, and I noticed that too.

SDT

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
If the defectis not corrected after the first fluid change, It can be assured, the fault is not with the fluid.

There are other troubles...

Redjos80

Equipment
B9200HST 4WD
May 31, 2018
Stafford, VA, USA
You can get the gauge and parts to hook it up on Ebay or amazon for about $15.

First go to the hydraulic block and take a picture of it, I'm wondering if the valve is in the wrong position?

How is the PS?
Wolfman,

Without sounding like a cheap ass, I can’t find a hydraulic pressure guage capable of 5000psi on Amazon or eBay for less than $100. Any suggestions would be awesome.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Amazon, Industrial and Scientific, Hydraulic Equipment.

LS125-6000, $10. A place to start from. A few parts to be added.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't know where or what you're looking for?

And for that system you only need a 3000PSI guage: $9.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hydrau...715537&hash=item3d66bdec2a:g:XkUAAOSwBLlVTFS~

You get better measurements when you use a Guage that is close to what you need to read, but if you feel you need 5000PSI, knock yourself out: $9.95

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hydrau...608052?hash=item3b0ec11fb4:g:65IAAOSwPhdVTFWy

And the hose to use: $3.99

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flexible-G...583557?hash=item4b42949f45:g:uj4AAOSwS1Bak3On

Last edited:

Redjos80

Equipment
B9200HST 4WD
May 31, 2018
Stafford, VA, USA
B9200 HST 4WD Hydraulic Issue continues

After three HST flushes, the watery crappy fluid is fixed. I took the tractor to local small engine repair shop and they were completely useless in diagnosing my inability to operate the tractor up a hill with a load or in any other range besides low.

I’m doing the deep dive into the hydraulics. I turned the directional nut all the way clockwise and the FLE completely stopped operating. I backed off the nut little and it worked again. I think the FLE hand control is Plummer wrong. A diagram or schematic would be really helpful.

Second, the lift arms are in the up position and stay there. I can’t put a load on them because the PTO driven BH is in the way. The position control lever is locked in the full up position. When I put it down, the tractor wouldn’t move unless I operated the FLE (again, WTf?)

Lastly, the lift arm speed knob is in the locked position and I haven’t messed with it.

The repair shop “guessed” I have a weak pump. I purchased a 3000psi gauge but need a few more fittings to plug it in.

Again, I’m at a loss here. I can’t find the hydraulic diagram for the FLE and believe I have a relief valve issue and/or a plumbing issue. Once I get that set right, I will look harder at the potential “weak pump”.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The abbreviation is FEL (Front End Loader).

The part about turning the control on the diverter valve cutting off the FEL sounds normal.

Post some pictures of the plumbing if you unsure of routing.

You really need to do a pressure test to get a better picture of what is going on.

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
Did you replace the HST filter when you did the No.3/last oil change, or are you still running No.2 filter?
The water/sludge in my machine was bad enough to restrict and break the filter when I got it.