B8200 Steering Ball Nut Assembly

rayman

Equipment
Kubota B8200 HST-D with BF 300 frontend loader and 4' shreader
Feb 13, 2013
college station, tx
Does know how many balls are in this assembly?
I haven't found any supplier that can give me this answer. I got a new set of balls and tubes from Weaver that do fit my ball nut, but I'm not sure if the set has the right number of balls. It came with 54 balls, but I had 58 balls in the bottom of the steering and the smashed tubes on the ball nut when I tore the steering box apart. You see, the bottom thrust bearing disintegrated allowing the shaft to go way off center, smash the ball tubes, etc, blah, blah. This is a common problem if water gets into the steering box. Hey, oil floats on water, so bye bye bottom thrust bearing. Fortunately, the worm screw on the steering shaft is ok as is the inside screw of the ball nut because the ball nut/steering assembly and the whole steering box assembly are obsolete and no longer available.

phildac

Equipment
1984 B8200E, L260F
Jul 29, 2009
Wentzville, MO
I challenge anyone to fine another post where the word "ball(s)" is used more than this one.:D

Sorry rayman, just struck me funny.:D

Last edited:

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Rayman,

I have no idea if they are the same or not, but my L175 had 59 ball bearings in the ballnut. I could not find new tubes for mine, so I had to spend an afternoon carefully reshaping the bent old ones (not a lot of fun).

I would reassemble the ballnut and new tubes with what you have on hand; if the 58 you have do not fill the space completely, you will need to buy more unless you enjoy having sloppy steering. I think you can find new bearings at mcmaster-carr.com, as long as you know what sixe you need.

Good Luck with this common problem,

Robert

rayman

Equipment
Feb 13, 2013
college station, tx
Ya, I kinda went overboard with the balls! But at least you knew exactly what I was talking about. Ha, ha.
rayman

rayman

Equipment
Feb 13, 2013
college station, tx
Hey Robert,
I found another ball stuck on the bottom end of the steering shaft. That makes 59! I don't have to order any because none of the originals were broken. It is strange that with two places where the balls circulate through two identical tubes that there are an odd number of balls. You would think that it would be either 58 or 60. Anyway, I will load up as many as will fit and circulate properly. Thanks for the help.
rayman

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
The numer of balls affects the steering play? (I just replaced my steering column, and sector gear, and was wondering why I had so much play in the steering. Should I be disassemling and counting the ball bearings?

rayman

Equipment
Feb 13, 2013
college station, tx
Did you use the adjusting screw on the end of the sector shaft to take as much play out as possible?

vtmbz

Equipment
b7100, b5100
Oct 27, 2012
lowell vt
Did you use the adjusting screw on the end of the sector shaft to take as much play out as possible?
I believe so, but I will recheck this next time I have the tractor in the shop. I guess I was surprised to hear that a factory replacement might not be complete in this area.