B8200 Hydraulic Pump Removal D950

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
How do I remove the shaft and its related assembly from the block? I was able to remove the gear. this is the drive assembly for the hydraulic pump. I am replacing engines and need to use this assembly in the new engine.

Please see photographs below:

Last edited:

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
What you're looking at is the end of the fuel cam shaft. I believe it's removed from the front after pulling the gear under the timing gear cover. The crankshaft pulley (and subsequently in my case at least the front axle assembly) needs to be pulled and then the case can be removed. You'll need to pull the injection pump to for removal and be very careful when you do as there are a number of shims between the pump and block that can be as thin as aluminum foil. Those determine the injection timing and should be saved. When you install the cam in the new engine you'll need to retime the injection pump and having those extra shims lying around will be helpful.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
As mentioned it required that I remove the crankshaft pulley, gear cover and injector pump. I also removed the larger gear which I believe is the cam shaft gear in order to remove the fuel pump shaft.

In addition, there are two springs that are part of the injection pump and fuel shut off assemblies that have to be unhooked for the gear case and the injection pump to be removed.

It was about a two hour job. The positive is that when I assemble the fuel pump shaft into the replacement engine I will have some experience with the related assembles.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
Re: B8200 Governor Adjustment Surge At idle D950

any way to adjust the governor or to reduce the amount of governor movement when the engine is at low and medium RPM?

I removed the engine stop lever assembly and used a flash light when the engine was running and observed the governor moving the rack control excessively.

the engine starts easy and runs great at high RPM's.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
Governor Adjustment D950 B8200

The seventh response of the below thread shows to points for adjustment but does not provide any details of exactly how to adjust the governor nor if either of these two points will control the amount of governor movement.

It is exceptionally nice that the parts diagrams were included in the thread.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2585

Any details would be appreciated.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
I attempted to adjust the governer/injector pump control with each of the adjustments depicted in the prior thread. I could not eliminate the surge.

I think I am going to remove the gear cover tommorrow and take another look. I think I may have damaged the governor.

I am thinking about replacing it with the governor from the old engine and see it that will resolve the issue.

Another option is to replace the injector pump with the old one as well.

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Sorry you got me there. Haven't had a chance to play with my governor yet other than working around it. In your shoes I think I'd be looking at the springs for any deformation and from there to the actual centrifugal governor.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
When I get the governor fixed, I will tell you what caused the issue.

i believe it is the linkage, but slight chance it is the injector pump. I have replacements for both from the old engine. I also have an extra centrifugal assembly.

jimybud

Equipment
D950
Jan 22, 2012
Springfield,il
When I reinstalled the injector pump on the replacement engine (had to remove the pump when replacing the fuel drive gear assembly), I smashed down on the governer linkage and this caused the governor linkage to stick a bit at low and midium idle and therefore it surged. (this was a reminder that dumb mistakes do happen and to always try and be humble).

To resolve, I removed the stop lever assembly and cover and merely pried up on the governor linkage when it was set at low idle. I pried a bunch as when It was smashed it was with a lot of force as well.

fortunately, for me it resolved the issue. i was not looking forward to re-removing the gear case cover and replacing the governor linkage.