B7200hst voltage regulator replacement- How to get steering wheel off?

antiquevt

Equipment
b7200hst
Jun 18, 2020
Reading
Please, how do I get behind the dash to replace my 1985 voltage regulator? The steering wheel is not easy to get off.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Please, how do I get behind the dash to replace my 1985 voltage regulator? The steering wheel is not easy to get off.
Typically you need a special puller.

First there is a U shaped piece of steel that slides under the steering wheel for the puller to pull against.

Then the puller removes the wheel.

See attached page from B7100 WSM which is likely the same.

If I was in your situation I would be trying to separate the steering column close to the steering box but this is an educated guess.

Why do you think your regulator is bad?

Dave

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Most times, removing the cover plate and then the nut and applying some penetrating oil like PBlaster and letting it soak in overnight and then some gentle persuasion with a soft mallet on the backside of the steering wheel will allow removal.

antiquevt

Equipment
b7200hst
Jun 18, 2020
Reading
Typically you need a special puller.

First there is a U shaped piece of steel that slides under the steering wheel for the puller to pull against.

Then the puller removes the wheel.

See attached page from B7100 WSM which is likely the same.

If I was in your situation I would be trying to separate the steering column close to the steering box but this is an educated guess.

Why do you think your regulator is bad?

Dave
Thx, Dave. The mechanic who came to tune it up said it was shot but didnt have the part to effect the repair. I cant afford to have him back out to replace it, so I will make the switch, God willing!

antiquevt

Equipment
b7200hst
Jun 18, 2020
Reading
Most times, removing the cover plate and then the nut and applying some penetrating oil like PBlaster and letting it soak in overnight and then some gentle persuasion with a soft mallet on the backside of the steering wheel will allow removal.
Sounds right... the mechanic told me to whack on the steering wheel bolt with a punch also, to coax it loose. What do you think?

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sounds right... the mechanic told me to whack on the steering wheel bolt with a punch also, to coax it loose. What do you think?

Let the PBlaster soak in for a day, I think it will come off with a mallet on the underside (after you remove the nut of course.)

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Let the PBlaster soak in for a day, I think it will come off with a mallet on the underside (after you remove the nut of course.)
If you are going to skip the puller then don't go bashing on the plastic underside.

Follow your mechanic's advice.

Loosen the nut until it is flush with the top of the shaft, (in order to protect the threads), get in a position where you can use your lower legs to apply upward pressure on the wheel.

Now, while continuing to apply upward pressure, give the nut and top of the shaft a sharp hammer blow with a real hammer (not a carpenter's hammer).

With luck the wheel will pop up from the splines.

Dave

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If you are going to skip the puller then don't go bashing on the plastic underside.

Follow your mechanic's advice.

Loosen the nut until it is flush with the top of the shaft, (in order to protect the threads), get in a position where you can use your lower legs to apply upward pressure on the wheel.

Now, while continuing to apply upward pressure, give the nut and top of the shaft a sharp hammer blow with a real hammer (not a carpenter's hammer).

With luck the wheel will pop up from the splines.

Dave

Did I say 'Bash'? hell no I didn't. I said....

" and then some gentle persuasion with a soft mallet on the backside of the steering wheel will allow removal.

You need to read my comment again or get glasses....or both.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Did I say 'Bash'? hell no I didn't. I said....

" and then some gentle persuasion with a soft mallet on the backside of the steering wheel will allow removal.

You need to read my comment again or get glasses....or both.
Sorry I thought you said to use a cinder block....

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

Donystoy

Equipment
LX2610HSDCC, B/H, Loader, plus numerous other attachments. B7200 sold
Dec 10, 2013
Binbrook, Ontario
Had to remove the steering wheel on my B7200 for the first time last fall. Ended up fabbing up a proper puller.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Do not hammer on the steering wheel from the bottom, you will break the plastic and a replacement wheel is $135.00.
Either use a puller or do as Dave spelled out in comment #7. I have replaced several over the years that customers thought they could just tap it from the bottom and it would pop off. Instead, they broke a large chunk of plastic off of the wheel.

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I replaced my VR a few years ago on my B7200E and did not remove or loosen the steering wheel. Think I removed the fuel tank as I was replacing a fuel line also. Don't remember it as complicated as steering wheel pulling.