B7200 starter issue

das fisch

Apr 28, 2016
Maine
B7200 starter issue
On top of the old thread I have (no idiot lights)... I replaced the starter solenoid as it needed it, what a pain that is with the hook for the internal starter arm. Anyway, I hooked it up, now when I turn the key to the start position it turns over, but then when the key returns to the run position it Continues to spin the starter, enough so that it drained the battery and got REALLY hot (positive terminal).
Tested the solenoids by the manual (plunger tests) and that is fine. Put the old one back on and same issue.
Sound like a bad key switch? This is frustrating

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If it has the same problem with a new solenoid, I would suspect the key switch or a sticking starter relay. If this is new to the new solenoid, I would guess the new solenoid is hanging up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Remove the solenoid trigger wire and check it for voltage, first in off, then in run, then in start, you should have only voltage in start.
If you get voltage in any other position other than run you have a bad switch.
If you only get voltage in start then you have assembled the solenoid to the starter wrong or the starter is bad and hanging up the solenoid. ;)

das fisch

Apr 28, 2016
Maine
Replaced the key switch, still cranks when not in start position. Have to disconnect the positive wire to the solenoid when it starts so I can use the machine and not burn the starter out. Also occasionally spins starter and not engage. Somethings fishy.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Typical with many starter solenoids,if any of the studs on solenoid turn while tightening nuts ,the internal bits becme mis-aligned and will feed power internally. I use 1/4" drive tools and carefully tighten. No disrespect intended,but its usually due to lack of experience.
There is so litte room inside, even the slightest twist and they short. I learned the hard way too.

Some can be dis-assembled and re aligned if nothing is cracked.