B7200 HST dies going uphill

Jrwca

Equipment
B7200 HST D, 1640 front loader
Oct 6, 2017
Hebron, OH
Hi all!

I just bought my first (used) tractor and I'm trying to work out its issues.

It's a mid-80s B7200 HST D, 4WD.

My main concern at the moment is it dies going uphill. It seems to be running fine, but as I go uphill it slowly dies. I can restart it immediately with no issue. It's only a problem when actually trying to move uphill. If it starts to die, I can let off the forward pedal and push the clutch in to keep it running.

It happens in both low and high and in 2wd or 4wd.

As a side note, I'm also tracking down a charging issue.

Any thoughts on what my problem might be?

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Does the engine run at full rated RPM? That is 2800?

Is the engine at that rpm when it starts to die.

These little three cylinders don't have much in reserve when the revs drop. Push that fuel lever forward!

If it dies or won't take fuel, suspect a fuel delivery issue such as a clogged filter,tap or line.

As an aside
IF someone hasn't fit some electrical device to the fuel delivery system (like and electric boost pump, once started, the engine does not require electrical power. My B7200 runs just fine with the key in the off position. The fuel shut off rod needs to be pulled to shut down the engine. Doesn't yours?

Last edited:

Jrwca

Equipment
Oct 6, 2017
Hebron, OH
I've been running it at 2200 to 2400 and it dies uphill. it runs a little rough above that.

I changed the fuel filter today and it didn't make any difference.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
One check would be to monitor fuel flow into the filter,

Disconnect the fuel line and let fuel run into a clean container for 5-10 seconds.

The flow should be "full".

You may also have an under performing "lift pump"* that supplies the injector pump.
Your observation that the engine runs rough at high revs points away from "going uphill" as the issue. General fuel delivery is more to the point.

Check for any leaks, either on the supply or the delivery. Is the engine running on all three?
There may be under performing injectors.

Jrwca

Equipment
Oct 6, 2017
Hebron, OH
Got thinking about the fuel issue and purged the lines you make sure they're clear. That cleared up the issue and she's running strong now.

Thanks guys

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk