B7200 HST clutch trouble (maybe)

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
I'm trying to help out a retired lady that has more farm than she can cope with.
Her small tractor Kubota B7200- HST is acting up. When you try to engage the PTO either front or rear, it grinds. I have the clutch all the way down. I have tried shortening the clutch adjustment link (per manual) It says "Difficulty disengaging clutch?- shorten link." That didn't help so I went the other way, no help either. Does this sound like a failed clutch or something else? How ugly is it to put in a new clutch. If you engage the PTO for the mower deck it won't spin up fast enough to start.

Last edited:

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
You may have a problem with the Throw out bearing or the clutch fork, It sounds like you are not able to disengage the clutch, It could also be that the clutch plate is stuck to the pressure plate and flywheel which will cause you to be unable to disengage it. Did this just happen or has the tractor been sitting for an extended period of time, If it has been sitting for an extended period of time especially outside then I would suspect the clutch disc is frozen to the flywheel or pressure plate or both., If it just happened then I would suspect the clutch fork or throw out bearing.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
The info I got is second hand about how it happened. Someone was mowing tall grass (hay?) this spring, a bunch of grass wrapped around the blade shaft(s), bogging it down. They dropped the mower deck and cleared the wrapped up grass and a piece of wire. After it was back together this started. The clutch is fairly heavy to push, so it feels like the fork is at least pushing something. Boy it sure would be nice if it was only the throw-out bearing, there's not much in her budget for parts or fuel for that matter.

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Disconnect the drive shaft for the mower that is connected to the PTO and see if the PTO or mower can be turned by hand, After hearing your description of what you were told had happened I would be less inclined to suspect the clutch/throwout bearing/clutch fork and be more suspicious of either damage to the mower or the PTO, If you can turn the PTO by hand but not the mower shaft then suspect the mower/mower gear box, If you can turn the mower shaft and not the tractor PTO shaft then expect possible internal damage in the PTO mechanism.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
Will check the PTO and mower deck for motion Thursday, the next time I'm out there. Meanwhile the battery is on trickle charge since I drained it trying different things. Thank you for any ideas.

birddogger

May 29, 2011
Pittsburgh
OK, checked the PTO from underneath. The mower turns easily and the PTO turns and stops when the lever engaged. So at least the PTO gearing isn't blown. Through the inspection port I can see the fork moving so that is solid on the fork-shaft. The throw out bearing holder moves about 7/16s inch, so either the T-O bearing has collapsed or the clutch laminations have delam'ed. Soaked all the bolts I could see with Kroil to get ready to split the beast.

Any tips on draining the hydraulics? or just pull the lines and let it "drip dry?"