B7200 for Mowing 7-8 Acres

vtreinhard94

May 16, 2016
Hamilton OH USA
I recently purchased a 14 acre lot, with aproximately 7-8 acres that needs to be mowed. Considering a B7200 4WD with a 4ft bushhog for about $4k. I'm wondering if this tractor is big enough to mow the 7-8 acres...Some of the grass is about 4ft high now -- any concerns with this being able to handle the acreage and the height of the grass? Need this tractor to last about 2-3 years before purchasing something bigger. Thanks in advance!

ttj49

Equipment
B6100-DT
I recently purchased a 14 acre lot, with aproximately 7-8 acres that needs to be mowed. Considering a B7200 4WD with a 4ft bushhog for about $4k. I'm wondering if this tractor is big enough to mow the 7-8 acres...Some of the grass is about 4ft high now -- any concerns with this being able to handle the acreage and the height of the grass? Need this tractor to last about 2-3 years before purchasing something bigger. Thanks in advance!
I've owned a couple of 7200's over the years. It will handle the 4 ft. bush hog just fine, but your first cut with 4 ft. high grass is going to be a slow process. Best thing I can recommend is to get a real good clean sharp edge on your blades and keep the blades from bottoming out in dirt. If you do dig with the blades, stop and put a good edge back on the blades. Sharp blades means a lot less stress on that little D950 three cylinder engine. After the first cut, you'll be fine.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The 4' mower would make for some very long days on 7-8 acres. My guess is you might be able to do an acre somewhere between 45 minutes and an hour after you get the grass under control.