b7200/7100 as a mower

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
Hello,
Brother in law interested in a tractor for both snow removal and mowing duties, must have 4wd due to driveway incline. The budget puts him in the b7100/7200 area, but we are unsure of the mowing capability of these machines. How do they mow with a belly mower? Is it easy to take off the mower for winter time? Any other 4wd you recommend for this application? Total yard space is 1 acre, so yes it's overkill, but he wants 1 machine to do both. Thanks

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Disclaimer: I don't mow with mine.

When shopping for a tractor, I was looking for: 1) front-end loader; 2) belly mower; 3) backhoe. Number two was of secondary interest; number three was more desirable than a mower, but of less immediate use.

I finally found a tractor/FEL, no mower, and no BH. Boy, am I glad! Unless your BIL gets a "drive on" mower, he will be miserable mounting and dismounting the mower, and that's a tragedy because from what I've read, the B7xxx tractors do snow blowing very well.

If it were me, I'd gravitate to a front-mounted snow blower and a 3PH mower, either a flail or a finish mower, whichever I could get (used) at an affordable price.

Hope that helps. Hope your BIL will join the OTT family and share his experiences.

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
I appreciate the info on the attaching and un-attaching of the mower deck. Unfortunately the size of his property won't lend to a 3pt mower of any kind. I wonder if you can/should use the 3pt blower with the mower deck still attached?

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
I appreciate the info on the attaching and un-attaching of the mower deck. Unfortunately the size of his property won't lend to a 3pt mower of any kind. I wonder if you can/should use the 3pt blower with the mower deck still attached?
I think you drive it okay with the mower mounted. I can't imagine a blower wide enough to clear snow on both sides of the deck; I believe you'd be doing more plowing with the edges of the deck than you want to. After your first heavy snowfall, you should know. That wouldn't be the most convenient time to remove the deck, so it would be good to prepare for that possibility ahead of time. Also to figure out, if you could before the first big now, if leaving the deck on would be a bigger hassle than taking it off.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
No power steering throws a wrench into the spokes for me. I've used them and it takes me about 2 minutes to get sick of it and want something else. The feedback you get from the manual steering can break bones if the yard is rough. With a loader on it, it's almost impossible to steer unless there's a heavy 3 point weight box or implement, and 4x4 makes it a little harder yet.

They're a pretty good tractor, just keep in mind that no power steering usually makes an operator want to kick it to the curb in a hurry. If it wasn't for that, I'd like to have one.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Another idle thought, consider having the dealer do the swapping coinciding with any other routine service. I know most people like to do their own work, but if not practical, and obliging dealer will pick up and deliver it might be an ok solution. If a less expensive model would work, it might even be cost effective for 10 years or so.

Humblebub

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX 2370 with MMW, FEL and snow blower
I am late to this conversation but will comment as you are considering the BX 1800. My little 2370 is a little bigger but will have similar characteristics. As Shaun mentioned the MMM can be awkward but with patience and more patience it is not that bad. I am 68 with wonky knees and back surgery in my history and I manage. I count on 20 minutes to take it off and twice that putting on. We had a record breaking 18 feet of snow last winter and the little BX never struggled blowing snow.

It is an adequate mower. I mow close to two acres and it has been fine. I would prefer a zero-turn for mowing but want one machine to do it all.

As Sheepfarmer mentioned, I am aware of a number of people who have the dealer do swap in Spring and Fall. Of course there is a cost but not everyone is physically capable of doing the work.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hello,
Brother in law interested in a tractor for both snow removal and mowing duties, must have 4wd due to driveway incline. The budget puts him in the b7100/7200 area, but we are unsure of the mowing capability of these machines. How do they mow with a belly mower? Is it easy to take off the mower for winter time? Any other 4wd you recommend for this application? Total yard space is 1 acre, so yes it's overkill, but he wants 1 machine to do both. Thanks
I bought my B7100 - JUST for mowing.....and it mows like a champ!!!
HOWever ........if you have lots of dips and valleys and what not in the yard - a wide deck sucks! But if relatively flat then you will be fine.

I will say that taking the deck off is a royal PITA, but my deck is not the OEM for THIS tractor, I have to jack the front a good ways off the ground to slide the sum beauch out (look at my avatar) - unhooking it and hooking it back up really is not bad....on a LEVEL ground!

But both of those machines can be found for under 4.5k .......see if you can find one that is under 1500 hours or so.....

they are one of the most bullet proof 'botas out there - seems like everyone has one!

mdb6000

Equipment
b6000
Oct 11, 2010
monroe, ct
thanks again everyone, any real difference between bx1800 and bx2200 other than HP? I assume they both run the same size implements as the difference in HP seems to be negligible. How is taking the deck on and off these, what about the front blade?